Model Cars Magazine Forum

New 1/24 goodie.

Geno

A gift from a friend, I got the wheels detailed and am in the middle of getting it BMF'd. Just getting the wheels done made a huge difference. I wish Hot Wheels/ Mattel would have done more of the detailed 1/24 Legends models.

20190209_190544.jpg

20190209_190827.jpg

Edited by Geno

Hi Roy, I just used a triple zero brush and some semi-gloss black paint, after I do the black out I let the paint set up for about 10 mins. I then use a pointed Q-tip my wife gets for makeup, they work great, I dab it in mineral spirits and lightly go over the areas that aren't supposed to be painted. I let it set up a bit or the Q-tip will just absorb the paint back out of the wheel. I then let 'em dry, polish them up with a micro-fiber towel and walla, done. Hope that helps. My hands aren't as steady as when I was young as well lol. I do have to work a little harder at it but I the outcome is well worth it.:)

Edited by Geno

1 hour ago, randyc said:

VERY NICE!  Like Snake, I have a JL green one.   It's nice enough.   

One of mine is a bright green like nothing seen on any 1967 Ford--it's somewhere between 1972 GM Spring Green/Julep Green and '70 Ford Grabber Green. Just last year I was able to buy one in a more accurate dark blue, which I have not yet laid the Snake-Fu on. 

Those Johnny Lightnings, with full metal chassis, are HEAVY! :blink:

On 2/15/2019 at 6:39 AM, Geno said:

Hi Roy, I just used a triple zero brush and some semi-gloss black paint, after I do the black out I let the paint set up for about 10 mins. I then use a pointed Q-tip my wife gets for makeup, they work great, I dab it in mineral spirits and lightly go over the areas that aren't supposed to be painted. I let it set up a bit or the Q-tip will just absorb the paint back out of the wheel. I then let 'em dry, polish them up with a micro-fiber towel and walla, done. Hope that helps. My hands aren't as steady as when I was young as well lol. I do have to work a little harder at it but I the outcome is well worth it.:)

Thanks for the tip Gene. We'll see how it goes

On 2/15/2019 at 9:21 AM, Snake45 said:

One of mine is a bright green like nothing seen on any 1967 Ford--it's somewhere between 1972 GM Spring Green/Julep Green and '70 Ford Grabber Green. Just last year I was able to buy one in a more accurate dark blue, which I have not yet laid the Snake-Fu on. 

Those Johnny Lightnings, with full metal chassis, are HEAVY! :blink:

I have noticed lately that i have a predominance of BLUE cars.   So the weird bright dark green Shelby is welcome in my house.  It's posted here in the not too distant past.  I'm building the new revell plastic 68 Chevelle but it will be in something different than the mainstream colors.   Maybe gold or the teal, close to an original color.   Bad thing about "mint" cars and many diecasts is the standard colors seem to be medium blue metallics, white, red, black.   Have to dig a little deeper to find different colors.   

With that said the BLUE Shelby is a most beautiful car.    Hard to beat blue with white stripes, imo.   

On 2/18/2019 at 8:27 AM, randyc said:

With that said the BLUE Shelby is a most beautiful car.    Hard to beat blue with white stripes, imo.   

Agree. I was planning to build my AMT '67 Shelby in dark blue with the white stripes. Getting the JL in the combination moves the AMT build way, WAY down my To-Do list. 

On 2/14/2019 at 9:09 AM, Geno said:

A gift from a friend, I got the wheels detailed and am in the middle of getting it BMF'd. Just getting the wheels done made a huge difference. I wish Hot Wheels/ Mattel would have done more of the detailed 1/24 Legends models.

Coincidentally, you just got a GT500, and last week, I just got the 55 Pontiac in the background of your photos.  Been watching for one of those reasonbly priced that was complete.   Guy said door mirror would be taped to door.  Ok fine.  Turns out, it is a mirror off the 55, 59 Chevy or something revell kit.  The two piece mirror with the head that has a tiny bowtie molded in.   You gotta be reallllll close to notice that.  Love those 50s Mint cars.  

It does seem very common with this model.   Seems like MOST of them are missing the mirror, even when they have boxes and all.   And the box adds quite a bit to the price usually.   It's a big slot where the mirror goes.  May be a poor fit with the mirror and falls out.  Then the carpet eats it.