Model Cars Magazine Forum

Been a long time since I posted here. Digging into my first in a while. Sox & Martin Road Runner.

BobC

1 hour ago, Snake45 said:

Did S&M ever run the 6-pack type hood on a Hemi Road Runner? I'll have to take a look in the book....:unsure:

Yes they did. Among many they ran. IHRA Super Stock I think.

Edited by BobC

16 minutes ago, Scott8950 said:

this is gonna be a good build... some of the hemi cars they ran even had the original roadrunner hood on them.

hqdefault.jpg

25043eb2d9104bacdd264f2764297ac4.jpg

I'm planning depending on how this one turns out building that version. They are the same car. The team ran different engines depending on which class and or sanctioning body they were running in. The hood changed with the engines. If my research is correct the one you pictured ran in NHRA Super Stock because they had to run the stock inline intake and Carter carbs.

Edited by BobC

39 minutes ago, BobC said:

I'm planning depending on how this one turns out building that version. They are the same car. The team ran different engines depending on which class and or sanctioning body they were running in. The hood changed with the engines. If my research is correct the one you pictured ran in NHRA Super Stock because they had to run the stock inline intake and Carter carbs.

yes it was the nhra car. and best i remember sox and martin made changes to the 68's so they looked like the new 69.

Edited by Scott8950

2 hours ago, BobC said:

Yes they did. Among many they ran. IHRA Super Stock I think.

Interesting! I checked the book. Two pics of '68-'69 Roadrunners ('69 grilles clearly showing in both pics, but who knows what the rest of the car was?) with nonstandard hood scoops, though they don't appear to be the 440+6 type scoop. But if you've got pics of it with that scoop, good on ya! B)

Are you doing it with the RR cartoon on the rear fender? I have the Slixx decal sheets but they don't have that. Have been looking for it. I'd like to do their '68 RR at some point; guess I'll have to make that decal myself. :unsure:

Oh, also, most if not all of S&M's engines were painted...Ford Blue. Jake King painted them that way because of his long former association with Ford. Strange but true. (Jenkins and Landy both painted all their engines black. Ain't trivia fun?) B):D

Edited by Snake45

I have pictures but they could well be the 69. I'm taking enough poetic license on this thing that it will keep the resident rivet counters busy for hours anyways lol. The 69 was from what I read the 68 with a new grill anyways. I have a set of decals from a Johan Road Runner with the bird that I was going to try and use but it's too big so I decided against it. I read about the blue engines but it was too late.

Edited by BobC

12 minutes ago, BobC said:

I have pictures but they could well be the 69. I'm taking enough poetic license on this thing that it will keep the resident rivet counters busy for hours anyways lol. The 69 was from what I read the 68 with a new grill anyways. I have a set of decals from a Johan Road Runner with the bird that I was going to try and use but it's too big so I decided against it. I read about the blue engines but it was too late.

I think the RR cartoon might have been only a '68 thing--looks like they might have done away with it for '69, or part of '69. 

The S&M book is not as clear as I'd like about exactly what cars they had, and when. I was hoping it would clear up all (or at least most) questions like the Jenkins book, but, not. Still, lotta great pics of their cars. B)

• 2 weeks later...

Well I'm on my 3rd attempt at the stripes. First set was decals from a Johan S&M Cuda. They basically fell apart.

Second attempt was painting. A miserable failure.

Attempt number 3 will be aftermarket decals. I can't remember the brand off the top of my head but I got them on ebay. As soon as they get here I'll give it another go..

On 2019-02-16 at 2:46 AM, Snake45 said:

I think the RR cartoon might have been only a '68 thing--looks like they might have done away with it for '69, or part of '69. 

The S&M book is not as clear as I'd like about exactly what cars they had, and when. I was hoping it would clear up all (or at least most) questions like the Jenkins book, but, not. Still, lotta great pics of their cars. B)

I also have the book you are talking about...and I also have collected magazines about their cars from the late 60's early 70's era.
The book could have been more detailed and tell more of what cars they used, when, wich class and sanctioning body as they ran several cars in different classes and  sanctioning bodys, and there are some faults in the book like wrong model year on some cars and such...but as you say, many good pictures.

Sox&Martin cars can be a bit confusing because they used several cars each year.
They had at least two or maybe even more B-body cars in 1968, I have seen pictures of one GTX  with a 440 and one Road Runner with a 426 Hemi, the Hemi car has the cartoon road runner sticker behind the door and the GTX doesn't...I also have pictures of two different paint schemes on the 68 cars, one where the red on the side going all the way down and one where the lower part is white, I don't know if they are the same cars or if they had more. 

I have seen pictures of one GTX and at least two Road Runner's for 1969, one RR with a 440 6BBL they called "Project Wedge" (it has the 6BBL scoop) and one RR with 426 Hemi, the Hemi car also had a scoop, and radiused rear wheel wells wich none of their other B-body cars had, and it has the same cartoon road runner decal the 68 car had, I don't know if it's the 68 car updated with 69 grille and tail lights or if it was a new build.
I have also seen pictures of a 69 Road Runner they ran in Modified Production with a 67 hood scoop on it.
One more thing with the Sox&Martin cars is that they doesn't allways have side markers, they were very different between 68 and 69 and would tell what year the body is...but they are not on all cars they had.

Edited by Force

8 hours ago, Force said:

I also have the book you are talking about...and I also have collected magazines about their cars from the late 60's early 70's era.
The book could have been more detailed and tell more of what cars they used, when, wich class and sanctioning body as they ran several cars in different classes and  sanctioning bodys, and there are some faults in the book like wrong model year on some cars and such...but as you say, many good pictures.

Sox&Martin cars can be a bit confusing because they used several cars each year.
They had at least two or maybe even more B-body cars in 1968, I have seen pictures of one GTX  with a 440 and one Road Runner with a 426 Hemi, the Hemi car has the cartoon road runner sticker behind the door and the GTX doesn't...I also have pictures of two different paint schemes on the 68 cars, one where the red on the side going all the way down and one where the lower part is white, I don't know if they are the same cars or if they had more. 

I have seen pictures of one GTX and at least two Road Runner's for 1969, one RR with a 440 6BBL they called "Project Wedge" (it has the 6BBL scoop) and one RR with 426 Hemi, the Hemi car also had a scoop, and radiused rear wheel wells wich none of their other B-body cars had, and it has the same cartoon road runner decal the 68 car had, I don't know if it's the 68 car updated with 69 grille and tail lights or if it was a new build.
I have also seen pictures of a 69 Road Runner they ran in Modified Production with a 67 hood scoop on it.
One more thing with the Sox&Martin cars is that they doesn't allways have side markers, they were very different between 68 and 69 and would tell what year the body is...but they are not on all cars they had.

and to make things even more confusing they used different engine combinations in the same chassis depending on class and sanctioning body rules. To add even more to the confusion a good portion of the pictures online are clones and "tribute" cars

Yeah but if it looks right to you and sits right then you should be happy with it if so you did it and if those that look at the finished job don't like it then that is their problem 

Me personally I love it looks great 

Michael