Model Cars Magazine Forum

Snowman truck and trailer

2 hours ago, DrKerry said:

Beautiful build!! Do you have a build thread on it? Curious to see how it went together. Did you make your stacks for it?? 

Sorry I dont have a build thread on it. I can tell you what I did on it. I started with the Watkins W925 kit. I changed the steps to be more movie accurate. I added a 3D printed grille, PE headlights, PE side markers, PE steps, PE exhaust shields, PE mudflaps, PE tail lights, PE wipers, PE fuel tank caps. The stacks were made by a friend of mines out of aluminum. After market tires, aluminum wheels, resin hubs. Some wiring on the engine and chassis. I made my own fuel tanks out of PVC pipe. I changed out the kit horns for ones out of the snap Kenworth. Decals were made by another friend on mine for the truck and trailer. The trailer is the AMT Coca Cola trailer. It has PE taillights and resin 5 hole wheels. The wheels come in 5 pieces. 

Edited by keone2013

17 hours ago, keone2013 said:

Sorry I dont have a build thread on it. I can tell you what I did on it. I started with the Watkins W925 kit. I changed the steps to be more movie accurate. I added a 3D printed grille, PE headlights, PE side markers, PE steps, PE exhaust shields, PE mudflaps, PE tail lights, PE wipers, PE fuel tank caps. The stacks were made by a friend of mines out of aluminum. After market tires, aluminum wheels, resin hubs. Some wiring on the engine and chassis. I made my own fuel tanks out of PVC pipe. I changed out the kit horns for ones out of the snap Kenworth. Decals were made by another friend on mine for the truck and trailer. The trailer is the AMT Coca Cola trailer. It has PE taillights and resin 5 hole wheels. The wheels come in 5 pieces. 

Very kool! Thanks for the info!

• 11 months later...

Any gloss black would do.
Some has said that the trucks were painted coffee brown but I have read they were painted to match the Trans Am wich was black with gold stripes and gold eagle on the hood, and on all pictures and also in the movie you can see the truck is black.

16 hours ago, Force said:

Any gloss black would do.
Some has said that the trucks were painted coffee brown but I have read they were painted to match the Trans Am wich was black with gold stripes and gold eagle on the hood, and on all pictures and also in the movie you can see the truck is black.

I’m from the dark coffee brown camp I’m afraid, there are times you can see it, it’s dark, real dark but I’m sure it’s still brown, but I understand your view, it does look black at times.

Yes they used at least a couple of trucks when they shot the movie.
I have also heard the Coffee Brown thing and it should also have been metallic...I don't know where it came from but I don't believe it was, I have seen the Smokey And The Bandit movie a gazillion times since I first saw it at the movies back in 1977-78 and I usually watch the movie on DVD at least once a year, and I have allways seen the truck painted solid gloss black.
I also read that they painted the trucks black and gold to match the 1977 Special Edition Trans Am used, and the best most accurate replica of the movie truck built and owned by Brad Wike is also black as you can see below, and I don't think he would have painted the replica black if the real movie truck was brown...Brad also owns the surviving Duel Pete 281 by the way.

Here is where I read about it.

DSC04589.JPG.82da239d735a47f1a83787a18ce7b656.JPG

Here is a couple of good pictures from the movie and it sure looks black to me.

11800131_974318922619523_7517386819307053384_n.jpg.ac9fd38c9776861672a4f351e681e115.jpg

smokeyandthebanditmkv_snapshot_001618_20160521_032350.jpg.57111a56608feadc1d511c524f309693.jpg

But of course, everyone does as he pleases, if you like it to be brown go for brown but I will for sure paint mine black. ;)

Edited by Force

2 hours ago, Force said:

Yes they used at least a couple of trucks when they shot the movie.
I have also heard the Coffee Brown thing and it should also have been metallic...I don't know where it came from but I don't believe it was, I have seen the Smokey And The Bandit movie a gazillion times since I first saw it at the movies back in 1977-78 and I usually watch the movie on DVD at least once a year, and I have allways seen the truck painted solid gloss black.
I also read that they painted the trucks black and gold to match the 1977 Special Edition Trans Am used, and the best most accurate replica of the movie truck built and owned by Brad Wike is also black as you can see below, and I don't think he would have painted the replica black if the real movie truck was brown...Brad also owns the surviving Duel Pete 281 by the way.

Here is where I read about it.

DSC04589.JPG.82da239d735a47f1a83787a18ce7b656.JPG

Here is a couple of good pictures from the movie and it sure looks black to me.

11800131_974318922619523_7517386819307053384_n.jpg.ac9fd38c9776861672a4f351e681e115.jpg

smokeyandthebanditmkv_snapshot_001618_20160521_032350.jpg.57111a56608feadc1d511c524f309693.jpg

But of course, everyone does as he pleases, if you like it to be brown go for brown but I will for sure paint mine black. ;)

Mines gonna be black too!! 

As the original movie trucks are long gone we can't check for ourselves and one have to keep in mind that all information on the internet is not correct just because it's written there...but the painter of the original trailer must know what color he used as the black and gold is present there too, and Brad Wike's truck is the most true replica I have ever seen...maybe a bit too clean and polished. ;)

When I do research on a subject I gather all the information and pictures I can find over a period of time, then I go through the information and look at all the pictures and make my own conclusions from what I have found.
I have also seen the Coffee Brown or Black Coffee thing here and there when I did my research on the Snowman truck but nothing to prove it, I have never seen the color itself and can't find any paint chips that look as dark as the movie truck do, and I haven't found any KW or anything else painted a dark brown that looks like black where you can see a brownish sheen in the highlights.
Because if the color was Black Coffee/Coffee Brown you would for sure see a brownish sheen in places highlighted by the sun, much like the quite clearly visible blueish sheen due to the blue pearl tint in the clear coat on the first black paintjob of the Tyrone Malone Bandag Bandit, and I don't see any of that on the movie truck either on the movie or on any pictures of it.
So it looks to be a solid black to me.
When I did my research on this truck I also found someone on the internet who wrote that the KW bug grille emblem was gold as one of the trucks used was supposed to be a 1973 50th anniversary edition truck...but that's really not right, it was gold allright but all KW bug grille emblems on the trucks used for the outside scenes was painted gold with the raised KW, ring and stripes painted black like on Brad's replica truck.
The 50th anniversary gold bug grille emblems didn't look like that, they were gold plated and the recesses around the raised KW, ring and stripes was painted red as on the regular chrome plated emblems, showing the raised KW, ring and stripes parts gold, the Kenworth scripts on the hood and sleeper were also gold on the 50th anniversary trucks and they were chrome on the regular trucks.

But as I said before, if you want to paint the truck dark brown it's up to you, mine when I get up to it will be a solid black.

Edited by Force

• 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Remember, In the movie they were going to take the $80k and "buy a new rig". So if you look, the truck actually looks a little worn and shabby. The paint could just be black that's weathered somewhat. 

Definitely not a new truck, or why would they want another new one?

Edited by Oldcarfan27