Model Cars Magazine Forum

Models Back at Walmart!

Stand-alone cardboard "island" at the front of the toy section. Obviously from Round 2 as it's all AMT/MPC/Lindberg and Polar Lights kits. Mostly cars, a couple airplanes and some Star Wars/Star Trek stuff. Didn't seen anything I couldn't get at Hobby Lobby. 

Kit prices aren't marked on the boxes, they're on various priced shelves. Highest price shelf is $24.97, which is $5 cheaper than Hobby Lobby (and WAY cheaper than AC Moore), but who pays full metal retail for kits at HL? The reissued Prowler was on the "$14.97" shelf but I'm not sure it was in the right place. 

This might be of interest to those who have access to a Walmart but not a Hobby Lobby. 

I saw a model display in Walmart (Northern WA) before Christmas, and as mentioned, the kits were priced in the same range. After Christmas there were only a couple on the shelf marked "Clearance" and slightly discounted. My last trip? All gone. At least at this store they were only carried seasonally,

33 minutes ago, Casey said:

Cheaper than AC Moore with a 50%, 55%, or 60% off coupon?

Those are rare, and I'm not sure I've ever seen a 60% off at all. Most ACM coupons I see are 40%. 

AC Moore is now at $37.99. 40% off of that is $22.79, so, close. 

My AC Moore has only had Revell kits for the last year or two, so not really apples-to-apples comparo. I've never seen any of these kits at ACM, or at least not in YEARS. 

18 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

Those are rare, and I'm not sure I've ever seen a 60% off at all. Most ACM coupons I see are 40%. 

AC Moore is now at $37.99. 40% off of that is $22.79, so, close. 

My AC Moore has only had Revell kits for the last year or two, so not really apples-to-apples comparo. I've never seen any of these kits at ACM, or at least not in YEARS. 

The 50% seems to be the norm, and since we have no AC Moore stores around here, I occasionally use them at Michaels, so I wasn't sure how AC Moore prices their kits. $39.99 is a bit steep for regular price, but with 50% off, $20 is more palatable:

image.png.a97ba39cb0b6fe42cdd553290a2121df.png

7 minutes ago, Casey said:

The 50% seems to be the norm, and since we have no AC Moore stores around here, I occasionally use them at Michaels, so I wasn't sure how AC Moore prices their kits. $39.99 is a bit steep for regular price, but with 50% off, $20 is more palatable:

image.png.a97ba39cb0b6fe42cdd553290a2121df.png

Yesterday at HL with a 40% off coupon (on one item), I bought a new green Revell Concept Camaro, and one 1/4 bottle and one 1/2 bottle of Testors and got change back from a twenty. That's not horrible these days. 

I heard about the Round2 display on a SciFi forum a few weeks ago. Hunted a number of WalMarts and found nothing. Then while traveling in Weston WV I found the merchandiser.  Just OK prices....got a Space 1999 HAWK for $20...best deal....

round2-vi.jpg

Edited by Dave Van

3 minutes ago, Bainford said:

Clearly, history is indeed doomed to repeat itself.

Walmart has retailing down to a science.  They have calculated the turnover of every linear foot of shelf space. And they put a lot of pressure on their suppliers. Goods must sell through in 30-45 days, or supplier must credit them for the units. And they pay their vendors net 90, which means that everything in the store hasn't been paid for  yet!