Model Cars Magazine Forum

This is an original 1956 edition of Hawk's Supermarine S6B airplane. The real plane was designed to compete in the 1931 Schneider Trophy Races. Powered by a Rolls-Royce "R" V-12, putting out 2,600 hp. It won the '31 Schneider races at 314.8 mph. Later it became the first plane to go over 400 mph. Supermarine would go on and build the famous Spitfires that fought bravely in the famous Battle of Britain. Both the S6B and Spitfire were designed R.J. Mitchell. 

The Hawk kit itself is listed by most sources as being in 1/48 scale. Though neither the original box or instructions give a scale. It looks like it might be a little smaller than 1/48, compared to other 1/48 scale airplanes in my collection. It builds quite nicely. The only problem I had were with the 63 year old decals. Despite using Microscale's Liquid Decal Film and Micro Sol setting solution. But still I think it turned out pretty good. I hope you guys like it and agree. 

IMG_3283.JPG

IMG_3284.JPG

Wow, great build. I have fond memories of building this kit in the Square-ish 1970's boxing.

Boxart 1931 Supermarine S-6B 910 Testors Hawk

I remember my grandmother buying them for me at Sav-On's drugstore, with the then new "NOTOX" lemon glue.

(it didn't stick for beans, but it was all I was allowed)

She got me all of the ones that Sav-Ob carried. I recall building this Racer, the Travel-Aire Mystery Ship, the Curtiss RC Floatplane, the Laird Biplane, and the little Mike&Ike Racer. I never had the GeeBee, and didn't learn about Mister Mulligan until going on the Internet in the late 1990's. I brush painted the Gold, Silver, Orange paint out of the little Testor's Square Bottles.

What great memories! Thanks for bringing them back.

7 hours ago, Snake45 said:

That didn't turn out half bad, Scott! You're making me want to dig mine out and actually build it! Well done and model on! (We're not losing you to Model Airplane World, are we?) B)

Nah, your not losing me. Cars always have been, and always will my favorite genre of model kits and transportation. Still, I have been on a bit of an airplane kick lately. And I don't know why? I do have several cars I'm working on. My next finished project there, most likely will be Monogram's '65 Shelby GT350. I also have those two Lost in Space kits I'm hot on getting done soon. The next airplane? AMT's Beech Staggerwing and than Testor's Mr. Mulligan. But leave cars? Never! 

And thank you to the others who have given me nice complements on this build. I'm pretty happy with it overall.