Model Cars Magazine Forum
Sign in to follow this  
milo1303s

Question Vintage big scale builders about glue

So I'm more of a 1/24 25th scale model builder and recently recently acquired 2 big scale monogram kits The Big T and Big tub .

Now I'm 43 years old and been gluing kits together with orange tube Testors  since I'm 6 or 7 (we wern't snowflakes back then )and in recent years Superglue  (last 10 or so) old kits new kits with no issues.

This Big t frame is giving me headaches using Superglue and it will not comply keeps coming apart . Ive cleaned all the parts rinsed dried blah ba blah.

so any suggestions from you will be appreciated

Thankyou

Bob C.

PS  writing wasn"t my strong suit I'm more of a Garage rat hobby den rat LOL!!!

I  put the Big T and also the 32 Deuce roadsters together back in the 1960's using plain old Testors model glue, as I recall without issue. I used Pactra glue back then as well. Anyway glue that welds plastic. I still use it today for the most part. I'm about to start a 1/16 scale vintage Mercer kit and will use Testors.

I am building this exact kit now. I am using various glues. Model Master liquid cement, Plastic Weld, Tube glue(applied with toothpick)and a little CA (on the seams after being glued, to help fill in voids before sanding. I started a build log you can follow. I too had problems with the frame but, not glueing. Trying to ensure it was flat and square. I used rubber bands to hold it together after glueing and laid the front of the frame against something flat too ensure the fronts of each frame were even, then placed something flat on top of the frame and placed some weight on it, to keep it flat while drying. I waited until the frame was dry before installing the radiator and cover, as there is enough play to install with no problem. I'd be interested in following along with your build and look forward to some pictures as well.

Thank you for the input guys !

Soon as I get this frame figured out we will see about a build thread I don't get much hobby time most likely be a long build

LOL