Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 1957 Ford Thunderbird

RandyB.

11 hours ago, espo said:

Looks great, and this kit is not easy to build to this level of finish. I just noticed that they include a '55 year model roof instead of the '56 and '57 porthole roof.  

Thanks. Some of the '57 T-birds came without the porthole. Not too many know this.

96644_Front_3-4_Web.jpg.73b9bd5759384b0ac1e12b567b047be8.jpg

960907084.jpg.fd9c0b481025fe80f97285549a78252c.jpg

used-1957-ford-thunderbird--13273-17398202-6-1024.jpg.e7040c596ed997a44bc215d2c28de7b2.jpg

Very sharp looking 'Bird Randy! And yes, the porthole top was a sort of 'necessary' addition/option starting with the '56 models after there were complaints with the outward visibility of the '55's. What drives me kind of crazy is to go to a car show and see a '55 with a porthole top and the owner says it's "all original".

No. That's strictly a '56-'57 option and either they don't know that or they're trying to pull a fast one. :rolleyes: 

That's one of my dream builds BTW.......to build a super detailed '57, but I'd have a different take on it using body parts from other kits. :P 

Still waiting for the very nice PE set I see on Model Car Garages site, but it's nowhere to be seen in the product listing. From what I see on the page, it looks to include everything you'd need to build each of the three two-seat years.

Totally stunning, Randy! The first model I ever built was a gift, but the AMT ' 57 T-bird was the first kit I ever bought for myself, the Modern Classics issue. I did the typical horrible job of a ten year old at building it. brush painted, glue everywhere, etc. Never, in all those years since then, did I think that it was possible to produce such a beautiful scale replica from one of those kits. Great job!

Edited by smellyfatdude