[[Template core/front/global/utilitiesMenu does not exist. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]
  • Announcements

• Dave Ambrose

Board Maintenance   03/14/2019

The board is going offline Monday, March 25, at 8:15 PM PDT for maintenance. See posting in General.
Sign in to follow this  
Steamboat

Jeep Grand Cherokee

Sometimes the model talks to you....

This is the Lindberg 1/20 Grand Cherokee model molded in red.  I was determined to paint this model white, to replicate my son's 1:1 Grand Cherokee.  I knew the red bleed-through was going to be a problem.  I tried 3 different primers  - Testors Aluminum Plate, Mr. White Surfacer, and Rustoleum Gray.  The model always came out pink when I put the final coat of white primer on it.  Someone in my local club even suggested that I should probably paint the 1:1 car red, it might be easier, but I wouldn't give up.  So it sat for a month while both the model and myself were too stubborn to give in.  Then it came to me - MUD!  Why waste good gloss top coat anyways?  This is the result.  It's painted with Rustoleum gray primer, Mr. Surfacer white primer, and Model Master acrylic dark brown.  The mud is splattered on by snapping a paint brush.  I used some artist's texture to give the mud some depth, but tried not to overdo it.  This is my first time doing mud.  Comments and constructive criticism are welcome.

5c6b435119541_leftside.jpg.1a3b9354a26a0843c9322468ccd25367.jpg

5c6b435c91234_rightside.jpg.55cc696cc8f6e81935197d065f3f7a85.jpg

rear.jpg.6afbebacda19c6d73fb14abdce38e527.jpg

5c6b438994963_rearwheel.jpg.bd8c4aefc586c1b5819490eb19e297a7.jpg

engine.jpg.86f0318d2462ead47936a58caca5ed1f.jpg

Nice! And the mud looks great! Particularly behind the wheels.

Odd looking engine. I wonder which one it's supposed to represent. Doesn't really look like the 5.2L. 

Looks great!!

Very nice! Great job with the mud, I only wish the back glass would have been swiped with the rear wiper.

Thanks guys.  I agree that the engine looks weird.  The intake is too wide and the air cleaner is too small, making it all look out of proportion.  Everything is OOB.  The hood is glued open,  but in this case it might be better to "allow " it to open. 

Great looking Jeep. I just wish they did these in 1/25 scale. The mud looks great on that.

Jeff

Looks real good.  When trying to paint over red or yellow plastic, put down a coat of silver paint.  Then spray the primer and then the color coat.  That should take care of the bleed through problems.

Excellent job on the weathering!

6 hours ago, Goose1957 said:

Great looking Jeep. I just wish they did these in 1/25 scale. The mud looks great on that.

Jeff

Tamiya do a 1/24 version. They're all over EBay, but can sometimes be pricey.

7 hours ago, Goose1957 said:

Jeff

I wish someone had done a Cherokee XJ.  Jeep made almost 4 million of the 1:1 vehicle, but nobody makes a model?

41 minutes ago, Steamboat said:

I wish someone had done a Cherokee XJ.  Jeep made almost 4 million of the 1:1 vehicle, but nobody makes a model?

Yeah, it's too bad..never kitted...diecast in various scales, but none in 1/24th or 1/25th as far as I know.   

I'd love to see some of the later Grand Cherokees kitted also..having owned two in 1:1 (an '00 and a '14). 

Edited by Rob Hall

11 hours ago, iamsuperdan said:

Tamiya do a 1/24 version. They're all over EBay, but can sometimes be pricey.

Yea, I want to get one when I find one that isn't too pricey, or hasn't been opened up and started.

10 hours ago, Steamboat said:

This!!!  I hope some executive from a model company sees this and realizes the market potential for an xj. It would be huge. The customization possibilities are endless.

Jeff

14 hours ago, Steamboat said:

I'd be all over a few of these. Had a 93 Sport, put well over 400,000km on it. i still miss it.

Very cool, excellent weathering!!