[[Template core/front/global/utilitiesMenu does not exist. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]
Hotrod 97

Thoughts on putting a diecast body on a styrene chassis?

I’d like to build a... rather unique... ‘15 Mustang. However, the only one that I like the looks of is a diecast. Only the body and hood would be diecast. The rest would be styrene. Thoughts on doing so?

Just stay with the diecast's born-with chassis. 

I suppose you want the "full detail" of a plastic kit, though. The very FIRST question you need to answer is: Are the scales/sizes compatible? I'm thinking all such diecasts are 1/24 and suitable styrene frame donors are 1/25. But I could be wrong. And whether the "stated" scales are the same or not, it's the actual sizes that matter, which might or might not sync up. 

I guess you're really asking can the styrene frame fit in the diecast body, and will it be strong enough to hold it? Well, most diecast cars have plastic frames that aren't much if any stronger than kit frames, though their "suspensions" are almost always sturdier. 

or are u asking what category would it go in when finished? I buy a lot of diecast cars and trucks just for body or parts,  mainly drag car bodies or light commercial stuff. The detail and proportions have improved, but i've bought several that were just junk when the box was opened. then again, im not a diehard detail has to be perfect/show person, i build for my pleasure, so if it meets my approval, i use it. I just bought 2 newray '63 novas that are pretty nice for 16 bucks apiece!

35 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

Just stay with the diecast's born-with chassis. 

I suppose you want the "full detail" of a plastic kit, though. The very FIRST question you need to answer is: Are the scales/sizes compatible? I'm thinking all such diecasts are 1/24 and suitable styrene frame donors are 1/25. But I could be wrong. And whether the "stated" scales are the same or not, it's the actual sizes that matter, which might or might not sync up. 

I guess you're really asking can the styrene frame fit in the diecast body, and will it be strong enough to hold it? Well, most diecast cars have plastic frames that aren't much if any stronger than kit frames, though their "suspensions" are almost always sturdier. 

Thank you for the reply, Snake. Born-with chassis it is! I never even thought of the scale and size differences.

12 minutes ago, signguy2108 said:

or are u asking what category would it go in when finished? I buy a lot of diecast cars and trucks just for body or parts,  mainly drag car bodies or light commercial stuff. The detail and proportions have improved, but i've bought several that were just junk when the box was opened. then again, im not a diehard detail has to be perfect/show person, i build for my pleasure, so if it meets my approval, i use it. I just bought 2 newray '63 novas that are pretty nice for 16 bucks apiece!

That was going to be my next question, but I’ll keep the chassis it came with. 16 bucks is a really good price for the ‘63 Novas!

34 minutes ago, signguy2108 said:

I just bought 2 newray '63 novas that are pretty nice for 16 bucks apiece!

I thought so too--see my review of these down in the Diecast section. 

yea, my bad snake, its a 64, both of mine are the red ones. I just wanted the body for a couple of gasser/fx/altered projects. 3000toys,com, excellent service!