Model Cars Magazine Forum

Question about Testors Inca Gold paint

I'm kinda intrigued by what I've seen of this paint, but I wanted to ask those of you who've used it a question or two.

Is it translucent enough that the shade of primer used will affect the actual color?  For example, we know that certain primers make reds "pop" (Tamiya pink primer comes to mind).  I'm guessing that most of you have sprayed this paint over a white primer, but I'd love to see pics of it sprayed over a much darker primer.   

I currently live in a tiny town with no real hobby shops within who knows how many miles, so I don't have direct access to these paints, and can't do my own spoon tests to find out.  TIA for any pics (especially outdoor pics) of this paint over various shades of primer.  

A lot of paints (I would even say a good majority) are affected by the color of the undercoat.  Not just Inca Gold.  The metallic paints are not as translicent as non-metallic colors because the metallic particles are usually opaque, but if applied thin enough, the undercoat color will affect metallic paints too.

On 2/18/2019 at 9:21 PM, Monty said:

I'd love to see pics of it sprayed over a much darker primer.

There is a model in the Under Glass section on which the builder used Inca Gold, but the primer color seems to be light grey, so I don't think that would help since you specifically asked for darker primers. 

That said, I would suggest you go ahead and order/buy some Inca Gold, as it's one of the few colors I've seen, purchased, used, and loved. It always seems to look good, no matter what it's used on, so it won't go to waste. :)

Testors Inca Gold is one of their "one coat" lacquers. I've used the system extensively over the years, and as far as being "one coat", it ain't.

I shot this car with Flaming Orange over a white primer (which was in turn shot over a gray surfacing primer).

It took 5 COATS to get full hiding. Yup...five full coats (and the darker orange covers better than gold).

AND...after the car was done, I buggered the decklid. I had a contest deadline, no more white primer, so I shot it over gray primer, thinking enough coats would get me to a match. Nope. The decklid is noticeably darker than the rest of the car...which you can just barely see even in this shot (though the reflections make it harder to spot here).

For Inca Gold, a white primer will get you the best "pop" with the brightest color. A red primer will shift it to orange. Dark gray primer will most likely just make it look kinda muddy. Light gray would be close to white, but still just not as bright.

And you'll need at least two coats of clear to be able to colorsand and polish safely (assuming you have almost no orange-peel).

Related image

7 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Testors Inca Gold is one of their "one coat" lacquers. I've used the system extensively over the years, and as far as being "one coat", it ain't.

I shot this car with Flaming Orange over a white primer (which was in turn shot over a gray surfacing primer).

It took 5 COATS to get full hiding. Yup...five full coats (and the darker orange covers better than gold).

AND...after the car was done, I buggered the decklid. I had a contest deadline, no more white primer, so I shot it over gray primer, thinking enough coats would get me to a match. Nope. The decklid is noticeably darker than the rest of the car...which you can just barely see even in this shot (though the reflections make it harder to spot here).

For Inca Gold, a white primer will get you the best "pop" with the brightest color. A red primer will shift it to orange. Dark gray primer will most likely just make it look kinda muddy. Light gray would be close to white, but still just not as bright.

And you'll need at least two coats of clear to be able to colorsand and polish safely (assuming you have almost no orange-peel).

Related image

Pretty nice paint job, and good info in your post. Decanted and airbrushed, or otherwise?

I have collected a few of those Testors one coat lacquers, waiting for better weather before shooting through an airbrush. I did one in root beer out of the can, and while better than I expected, I'm leaning towards airbrushing next time around.

8 hours ago, gman said:

Pretty nice paint job, and good info in your post. Decanted and airbrushed, or otherwise?

Thanks. It's all rattlecan. I've sanded and polished to a higher gloss since the photos were taken, and it still looks good 7(?) years later...though some sanding scratches have shrunk in the decklid, which opens, because I rushed the finishing to make the deadline, not allowing the primers to harden up completely. I just wish I'd scribed the door lines.  :D

1 hour ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Thanks. It's all rattlecan. I've sanded and polished to a higher gloss since the photos were taken, and it still looks good 7(?) years later...though some sanding scratches have shrunk in the decklid, which opens, because I rushed the finishing to make the deadline, not allowing the primers to harden up completely. I just wish I'd scribed the door lines.  :D

Really good for right out of the rattle can.

The root beer one coat lacquer I shot from the can was done as 2 tone over Tamiya gold, and needed a good three coats for full coverage (being a darker color). IIRC, this was two coats, with some thin spots on the cowl still showing...I agree it is far from a "one coat" product, with lighter colors needing more coats :) 

IMG_0765.thumb.JPG.051bd080ff7c71f577fc71e9b8ac3b7d.JPG

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/18/2019 at 9:21 PM, Monty said:

I'm kinda intrigued by what I've seen of this paint, but I wanted to ask those of you who've used it a question or two.

Is it translucent enough that the shade of primer used will affect the actual color?  For example, we know that certain primers make reds "pop" (Tamiya pink primer comes to mind).  I'm guessing that most of you have sprayed this paint over a white primer, but I'd love to see pics of it sprayed over a much darker primer.   

I currently live in a tiny town with no real hobby shops within who knows how many miles, so I don't have direct access to these paints, and can't do my own spoon tests to find out.  TIA for any pics (especially outdoor pics) of this paint over various shades of primer.  

Hopefully this point will illustrate the answer to your question, to my own embarrassment. 

This is painted with Inca Gold. Notice that the hood is a darker color than the rest of the body. That is because I had to strip and repaint the hood. I forgot what color primer I used on the body (white) when I redid the hood and used grey. So, there you go.

100 4475

I would vote for the Tamiya white primer as a base for the Inca Gold. I have used this color a couple of times using the spray can. I didn't experience any problems and used two light coats of paint followed by a clear coat. You might consider a base coat over your primer that is close to your finish color. You could use a light Gold or even a Yellow. For me spraying from the can the coverage was good and polished up well. You must remember there are so many things that go into a great paint job that the possibilities of difference from one paint job to the next is great.