Model Cars Magazine Forum

"Green stuff World"

NYLIBUD

I saw these leaf puncher gadgets when I was looking to make a tree for the diorama, and the only reason I did not buy one was because it would take hundreds of leaves to create a 1:24 scale London Plane Tree ( hybrid of American Sycamore tree ) in full foliage. The tree is the height of the four floor building. As you suggested Ron and David, great idea for creating Autumn / Fall scenes if you want a scattering of fallen leaves on the ground.

David

I have 4 from a different brand, with different leaf types and sizes. I haven’t used it yet. It is great for fallen leaves. If you think about it, you could have tree debris (especially leaves) anywhere there is a tree nearby. The wind blows them away and they could even end up near garage doors. I would use the cigarette paper to make them because the paper is thinner, curls easier and makes it look more realistic.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/6/2019 at 11:00 AM, Greg T said:

The 1st issue of "Damaged" magazine has an article about a diorama of an abandoned bumper car ride outside of Chernobyl that used the leaf punch.  I can't remember how many leaves he made for the diorama.

Yup I did see that layout.It was incredible.I actually just picked up the most recent issue of Damaged magazine at Barnes and Noble the other day.Great stuff in these issues if you are into weathering..Does anybody know if the magazine is going to be a regular monthly issue?

This is one of my dioramas, which I haven’t finished yet. Look at the leaves on the bridge and rocks. I used coffee filters and painted with acrylic artist ink. The filter is thin enough and absorbs the ink evenly and quick. You can be creative with these stuff.

06D86261-73FC-442C-8528-8AA752C52CE7.jpeg

05C628FF-8438-4449-9935-4AE13744878C.jpeg

Edited by QbanFam

• 1 month later...
58 minutes ago, misterNNL said:

Someone please share with me where I can either walk in and find this punch in 1/25 th scale or where I can order it and what the model or part number it would be. Thanks for your help.

It's on ebay. Here is a link for you Tom!

While looking around the Green Stuff site I found a lot of interesting items they offer that might just be of interest to diorama builders. They offer punches to create wood an tile roofing shingles as well as molds for making bricks and flagstones. Check them out,pretty cool stuff.

Some day ill get a picture of mine. What i did was kinda of layering the leaves. I used some ground up (real) leaves as a base, then sprinkled some of the punched leaves on top. That way i didn't have to spend the next year punching these leaves out. It does take a while especially the leaves in my yard, some are not very big.

I use a similar method of layering leaf debris on my dioramas by first applying crumbled leaves as a base then complete newly "Green Stuff" punched one's on top as the base stuff is covered anyway. We live in a small farm town and we have a corn field close to our property. Anyone with a corn field that close will tell you that after harvest season you Will have dried corn husks in your yard. I punched some of those along with dry oak and maple leaves for dios. Each adds a slightly different color or texture.

• 3 weeks later...