Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT peterbilt 359

Hello all, its been awhile but in my spare time this last week i opened up my amt pete. I got the motor done and have started on the chassis and body. Im doing it pretty much out of the box, taking inspiration from other members builds. I know, i know peterbilt engines are supposed to be white but i like DD green better. How'd i do mixing the paint? It took 4 or 5 batches for me to be happy with the color. Thanks all!

20190219_154642.jpg

20190219_154611.jpg

20190219_154739.jpg

20190219_154829.jpg

3 hours ago, JUNK-MAN said:

I know, i know peterbilt engines are supposed to be white but i like DD green better.

Don't worry, you can say it's a later re-power, and I have also seen engine manufacturers colors in Peterbilts where they should have had white engines (before 1984 that is), so all didn't have white engines.

Thanks guys, i was sitting here looking at the body and just realized how crooked the decals are, they came right off and after some light sanding and another thin coat ill start over and pay better attention to it. Luckily i have a few sets of those decals sets around! My step dad used to work in a truck shop and he echoed what Force said. Also i need an opinion, what color frame should i do? I am thinking either red or black, i set it on the unpainted white frame and it didn't look right. Thanks again fellas!

• 8 months later...

Man, its been awile since ive posed any progress or even logged on. I havnt been to busy lately so i dug back into finishing up the old pete.  Here is were its at now, i scratch built the grill cover and finally got the frame mostly done, im really liking how she looks so far.

20191127_140458.jpg

I have made some progress and now she is almost complete. I now have bothe stacks on, both mirrors done and the interior bucket glued to the frame. I added a larger tank on the drivers side and put steps on both tanks, decals done on both sides the passenger side seems to be lacking somthing, it just doesnt look as nice for some reason. I also got the ac painted and glued on. As of right now i have to put on the exhaust pipes, paint the underside of the hood and glue in one last window. I also have to fix the passenger side front hubcap thats crooked and the antenna that for some reason leaned. Sorry for the long winded post, any suggestions or  comments welcome.

20191202_194234.jpg

20191202_194433.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I decided it needed a sleeper so i dug through my stash of truck parts and found a mercury that was in decent shape. Here it is as it sits, almost ready to move it over to under glass, just need the one window, the exhaust pipes and trailer hookup.

20191210_195657.jpg