Model Cars Magazine Forum

Dick Brooks 1973 Talladega 500 winner

MarkJ

This is the 72 Plymouth that Dick Brooks drove to the victory at the 1973 Talladega 500. I always wanted to build this model but could not find a kit. A couple of months ago I found a 71 Richard Petty build that I  had done 45 years ago, so I decided to repurpose the model into this one. There are several noteworthy things about this car that make it very interesting. It was the only car that Brooks ever won in, in the cup series. It was the last Plymouth to win a cup race. It was the last car that Pete Hamilton drove before he ended his cup career. I got to see this car run in person at the 1972  Texas 500.  Gordon Johncock drove it that day.  Jimmy Crawford and his brother owned this car and he drove it the most  when it ran. He was an Eastern Airlines pilot when he wasn't racing the car. I listened to the broadcast of the 1973 Talladega 500 from a small transistor radio while helping my wife prepare her very first classroom  in the city that Nolan Ryan grew up in. We had just gotten married the May before the race was run in August. I couldn't believe my ears when he ended up winning the race, beating some pretty stiff competition that day. I read that the Crawford brothers had modified the intake manifold to make it work better with the restrictor plate, and that is why he was able to compete with the more highly funded teams. If anybody knows why Mickey Mouse was on the hood please share it. I could not find the reason it was there. One other thing, the reason Brooks name is not on the car is because he only signed on to drive it the Friday before the Sunday race, and I guess they didn't have time to put it on the car.Thanks for looking.

972d9.jpg

972d10.jpg

972d11.jpg

972d3.jpg

972d5.jpg

972d6.jpg

972d7.jpg

972d16.jpg

972d18.jpg

972d19.jpg

10 hours ago, moparfarmer said:

Awsome work and some good history..That must have been the Cotton Owens #6 that Pete Hamilton drove in 1971..It was sponsored by American Brake Bloc..Was dark blue with yellow numbers..

Actually Wayne, the car Hamilton last drove was this one a year earlier at Atlanta. He had to retire because of a bad back.

72dbrookssidepic8x10300.jpg

Ok, guys. A guy on another forum found this from a fantasy racing site about the mickey mouse on the hood.

The highlight of Brooks's career came at the Talladega 500 when he drove the Plymouth of Jimmy Crawford to an unexpected victory.  Brooks wasn't even supposed to drive Crawford's Plymouth, but after officials ruled that Crawford did not have enough experience on the big speedway, Brooks took over the ride.  The car was #22 and had Mickey Mouse on the hood.  The story behind Mickey Mouse on the hood was a comment made by Bill France stating that they were a "Mickey Mouse race team", so they put Mickey on the hood.  Brooks would pull off the starting grid in 24th place.  He would work his way to the front and take the lead for the first time on lap 49.   It was an exciting race as there was 64 lead changes.  The most laps in a row any driver lead was nine; all the way up to lap 157 when David Pearson led 12 in succession.  On 44 occasions where a lead change occured, the leader would lead 3 laps or less.  Brooks would take the lead on lap 181 and head the field for the final eight laps to get the win."

Thanks guys for all the feedback. I really enjoyed researching and then putting this one together. I was watcning the cup race today and it looks like they might have a package that makes for better racing. Those Mustangs sure look cool . I wonder if there is any plans by revell to issue the new cup Mustangs and Camaros? I know there is know hope for getting a Toyota of any kind.