Model Cars Magazine Forum

1972 Chevy Pickup w/ the Racer's Wedge

Snow is holding me up from supplies so I started another. I've had these sitting around for a long time, finally getting around to knocking them out. Bought the pickup around 2003 I think and some time around then a friend gave me the Racer's Wedge he had already assembled.

20190221_033621.jpg

20190221_033727.jpg

20190221_033909.jpg

20190221_034501.jpg

I like the idea of making this a race car hauler. From the photo the bed looks almost to wide based on the area between the cars tires and the exterior edge of the ramps. This may just be because it isn't centered on the ramps. The beds wheel openings suggest it could even have tandem wheels or duel rear wheels. A lot of possibilities on this build. 

This is looking really good. Love these Ramp Trucks, and actually I've had plans to build one for a long time. Too bad those Racer's Wedge kits seem to be so expensive. Luckily, it shouldn't be too hard to scratchbuild so guess I'll have to go that route. Anyway, your project looks really good. I'll be watching how this turns out.

Cool!   I have a story...

Many years ago I'd stop at my grandparents house after my model club meeting.  I was there one Saturday evening and showed them my latest project.  My grandfather said that there was a model car in the basement.  My grandparents were known to buy us grandkids gifts all year for Christmas and hide them in the basement.  They forgot some over the years!   So he goes downstairs and comes back up holding a perfect, sealed original issue Racers Wedge kit!   It was very rare at the time, long before the reissue Dave Burket had done.  Immediately people started offering me money for the kit.  I believe the high offer was $200.   Nope, never sold it.  It was the kit my grandfather gave to me!  Still have it, still unbuilt in the box.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Scott8950 said:

amazing at what these things are worth. 

Screenshot_2019-03-28-22-22-54-1.png

I have one of these.  Charming story time...

Back when I got into model cars in the early 1990s, my club meeting wasn't that far from my grandparents' house so I stopped in one evening.  My grandfather thinks for a minute and says, "There is a model car in the basement."  He goes downstairs and returns with The Racers Wedge!  Factory sealed, good as new!   My grandfather had been cleaning out his basement from 40 years of living in the house.  They had a habit of buying Christmas gifts on sale all year long, and hiding them from us kids in the basement.

I'm figuring that he bought that kit for me when I was a kid.  He forgot about it and it sat in hiding until he presented it to me.  This was way before the Model King release of the bed was even thought of, so I did open the box to view the contents.  Otherwise it's still factory mint.  And I will keep it forever because of this memory!

2 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

Back when I got into model cars in the early 1990s, my club meeting wasn't that far from my grandparents' house so I stopped in one evening.  My grandfather thinks for a minute and says, "There is a model car in the basement."  He goes downstairs and returns with The Racers Wedge!  Factory sealed, good as new!   My grandfather had been cleaning out his basement from 40 years of living in the house.  They had a habit of buying Christmas gifts on sale all year long, and hiding them from us kids in the basement.

I'm figuring that he bought that kit for me when I was a kid.  He forgot about it and it sat in hiding until he presented it to me.  This was way before the Model King release of the bed was even thought of, so I did open the box to view the contents.  Otherwise it's still factory mint.  And I will keep it forever because of this memory!

I have a similar story, my Mom would buy birthday gifts for me even after I had a family of my own.  The last gift she gave me before her passing was a Monogram '50 Ford Pickup.

Image result for monogram 50 ford pickup

I was torn about building it so I bought a 2nd kit and started building that kit but it was too emotional.  Several years have passed and I think now I'm at the point she would want me to build it.  Someday I will.

Edited by afx

31 minutes ago, afx said:

I have a similar story, my Mom would buy birthday gifts for me even after I had a family of my own.  The last gift she gave me before her passing was a Monogram '50 Ford Pickup.

Image result for monogram 50 ford pickup

I was torn about building it so I bought a 2nd kit and started building that kit but it was too emotional.  Several years have passed and I think now I'm at the point she would want me to build it.  Someday I will.

im sure you will build it well when the time comes. 

2 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

great story... my wedge truck is also the original but i got it as a built up. i will be doing a restoration on it real soon.

Didnt know that "Rides" editon was molded in Gray? I have the same issue but mine is molded in blue

I have one im trying to find a Molded in White bed for and a few parts for the gmc stepside variant 

Heres one ive been working on, and need to pull it back out to finish the bed