Model Cars Magazine Forum

Actual size of AMT slicks?

Ace, while in a perfect world the models woudl be perfectly scaled down and tires would have the dimensions you described, this is often not the case.  Plus, then the person asking this question would have to search for the dimensions of 1:1 tires.  Especially problematic is the wheel dimension (since model wheels aren't quite made the same way as the real wheels). For example the outside diameter of a 14" wheel is actually around 15.5".  That would likely be closer to the dimension of the OD of the model wheel, and the inside diameter of a 14" model tire.  Then some model manufacturers fudge some dimensions too, so the model tires aren't always scaled correctly.

The simple question that was asked here was for the actual dimensions of the model tire.  While I don't have those tires to provide the desired answer, I hope that someone else will chime in.

Sometimes you are being too logical Ace. :)

3 minutes ago, peteski said:

Ace, while in a perfect world the models woudl be perfectly scaled down and tires would have the dimensions you described, this is often not the case.  Plus, then the person asking this question would have to search for the dimensions of 1:1 tires.  Especially problematic is the wheel dimension (since model wheels aren't quite made the same way as the real wheels). For example the outside diameter of a 14" wheel is actually around 15.5".  That would likely be closer to the dimension of the OD of the model wheel, and the inside diameter of a 14" model tire.  Then some model manufacturers fudge some dimensions too, so the model tires aren't always scaled correctly.

The simple question that was asked here was for the actual dimensions of the model tire.  While I don't have those tires to provide the desired answer, I hope that someone else will chime in.

Sometimes you are being too logical Ace. :)

My take on his question was what size, in reality, are the kit tires he gave SPECIFIC (model) dimensions for.

He did NOT mention any specific REAL CAR tires, like a Goodyear Blue Streak with a particular size imprinted on the sidewall.

If he HAD asked for the rolling diameter and width of any specific REAL CAR tire, I'd agree with you.

And I'm very well aware that correct scaling often...isn't.

But what possible difference would it make to somebody building a model what the REAL diameters and widths were if they were INCORRECTLY scaled?

Yup, I guess I'm just too logical to get the sense here. :mellow:

He specifically asked for AMT slicks dimensions. I assume it is for a 1:25 scale model of some Funny Car. Does AMT make more than one slick?  The dimensions he mentioned were given as an example of what he is looking for.  At least that is how I understand the question, but it is not very well composed.

17 minutes ago, peteski said:

He specifically asked for AMT slicks dimensions. I assume it is for a 1:25 scale model of some Funny Car. Does AMT make more than one slick?  The dimensions he mentioned were given as an example of what he is looking for.  At least that is how I understand the question, but it is not very well composed.

OK...I see how you could read it that way. I mistook his meaning of "actual size" to be "real size" or "full scale size".

That's all I got.

4 hours ago, andy12646 said:

Does anyone know the ACTUAL size of the various slicks sold by AMT? Such as 1.31" O.D. x 0.44" Wide. I'm interested in the sizes of the Jumbo Slicks (AMT #PP003), Custom & Competition (AMT #PP004) and the Blue Lines. Inches or millimeters. Doesn't matter.

They 003s are about 1.344 tall by about .460 across the tread. The box calls them 11.75 x 16.  The 004s are 1.165 x .415. Box calls them 10.5 x 15. 

18 minutes ago, High octane said:

I tend to use "eyeball engineering" when building most of my models which means if it looks good, it is. I build in my comfort zone and enjoy the hobby.

I think that the question was asked not for precision engineering reasons, but probably just to see what wheels will be compatible with those tires. 

18 hours ago, andy12646 said:

Does anyone know the ACTUAL size of the various slicks sold by AMT? Such as 1.31" O.D. x 0.44" Wide. I'm interested in the sizes of the Jumbo Slicks (AMT #PP003), Custom & Competition (AMT #PP004) and the Blue Lines. Inches or millimeters. Doesn't matter.

To what end?

Maybe if you would elaborate on why you want this information more could help you.

With no "size" charts available it would be near impossible to match up any tires to wheel combinations.

furthermore, with so many different (and growing every day)  tire mounting styles you are again up against another variable, i.e. lugs, inner raised sections, hollow, and so on.

13 hours ago, High octane said:

I tend to use "eyeball engineering" when building most of my models which means if it looks good, it is. I build in my comfort zone and enjoy the hobby.

I tend to use rather precise measuring, and engineering practices crossed-over from the real world. I almost always push myself well beyond my comfort zone, and I also enjoy the hobby.

7 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

I tend to use rather precise measuring, and engineering practices crossed-over from the real world. I almost always push myself well beyond my comfort zone, and I also enjoy the hobby.

I've always wondered why people would assume that, just because someone strives for accuracy and detail, that they aren't enjoying the hobby. Same with the "I don't build for contests, just for fun." All the detail and pushing of my abilities is what IS fun, for me--and, for many others, too!

21 minutes ago, Straightliner59 said:

I've always wondered why people would assume that, just because someone strives for accuracy and detail, that they aren't enjoying the hobby. Same with the "I don't build for contests, just for fun." All the detail and pushing of my abilities is what IS fun, for me--and, for many others, too!

"There are many paths to the top of the mountain." B)

Here's the reason I asked this question. I have a 72 Challenger model that I would like to build into something different than just "out of the box". I really don't care for some of the components furnished with the kit. Wheels and tires being some of them. Therefore, I was wondering what after-market tires, slicks in this case, would fit without extensive modifications . It would be helpful if the manufacturers or distributors  of wheels and tires would list the actual dimensions of the part as well as the 1:1 dimensions the part represents.

Thanks for the response from everyone. I truly appreciate your comments and suggestions and , again, I'm sorry for the confusion.