Model Cars Magazine Forum

Milliput vs. Tamiya 2-part putty

I've worked with both of the Tamiya epoxy putties, the "Surface Putty" and the "Quick Type." I really like the Quick Type, but have to be careful about mixing up too much.  It starts setting up pretty quickly, and dries rock-hard in about 6 hrs.  Here's an article about it.

http://www.scalewarmachines.com/allcontent/tamiya-quick-type-putty

tam_put.jpg

On 2/22/2019 at 8:18 PM, fiatboy said:

I've worked with Milliput [...]

Which one?  I tried his one for the first time, the result for the boots was good enough.  But for doing body modifications, I'm not using it.  The result is much like Sculpty clay that you bake, a bit soft.

So let's see some Tamiya reviews.

IMG_9408_Fotor.jpg

I prefer Magic-Sculpt two part epoxy putty. Much better and finer grain than Milliput. It smooths easily with water, feathers nicely, so it's excellent for bodywork, fantastic for making things like convertible boots, etc. It's available in seven colors, covering almost.every styrene color possibility. There's a

Magic-Sculpt Magic Sculpt Color Trial Kit

image.jpeg.18ea42a382e8b74207c862e662abd928.jpeg

available for twenty bucks, containing what's in the picture.

I am building a resin kit.  There is a big gap between the donor kit dash and the cowl with the vents and w. wipers.  So I'll be using a big lump of it.  Slow drying time I think is a must.  If I end up with a coarse surface, I should be able to apply some spot putty like Bondo which I think is 1 part; or Tamiya.  You guys are great.  Thanks

Hi Mike999.  You mentioned that you also tried Tamiya "Surface Putty" as well as the "Quick Type" Tamiya.  Is the Tamiya "Surface Putty" similar to "Bondo glazing spot putty"?  Is the Tamiya Surface Putty a one-step material?  Is the Bondo glazing spot putty also one-step?  Thanks

Bondo one part putty is basically thick lacquer paint; as such, it will bite into paint and styrene.  It has to gas out to dry, and so will shrink.  Except for very thin applications, I use Bondo professional two part.  It is a little softer than styrene, even when fully hardened, which I like.

Edited by GerN