Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mobil, Texaco, Gulf, Shell and others....

Right....

Being a sucker for old gas stations etc., etc. and having a strong must have feeling about AMT's Texaco Chevrolet 3100 pickup....

As good as it looks in those colours, Mobilgas (Mobiloil) is my big favourite, besides Koppartrans back in Sweden, anyhoo....can you turn this one or any of the 40's and 50's pickups into one belonging to a Mobilgas gas station? 

If so, did they carry any particular colours as such with AMT's Texaco pickup, haven't had much luck hunting on Google! ;):lol:

Those that I've found have been toys....

195880-10592-26-pristine.jpg

91G1+CKAQvL._SX569_.jpg

revell-1940-ford-custom-pickup.jpg

193222-10571-14-pristine.jpg

111951-10571-pristine.jpg

500167-16153-47-pristine.jpg

194937-16153-72-pristine.jpg

I grew up on the Texas coast in the middle of the refinery fields. The oil companies purchased fleet trucks in particular colors, but the local station owner generally bought whatever was available. He might have ordered a particular color if he had the time and money, but generally he would find one on the dealer lot that he liked at a good price and buy that. Then he would have the local sign painter put his brand logo on the doors and tailgate and call it good. In my little hometown, we had Mr Blancette and Mr. Blissett who owned the Mobil and Enco (later Exxon) stations across from each other and Mr. Knippa who owned the Texaco station. They all had bought-off-the-lot trucks that were set up for road service.

Edited by oldcarfan

8 minutes ago, House of 13 said:

Many thanks Richie and Gary, tremendously appreciated! 

Thought that I snoop around for some suitable wrecker parts as well, while I'm at it....

Gary pretty much nailed it, so you can find many pictures of vintage tow trucks, which served as the only truck at old service stations many times.

shellstationtowtruck.jpg.1fb63fcf654049a23be7e2946a79cef2.jpg

More pics here:

Edited by Casey

If you want to go more vintage, here's a real beauty.  1931 Model A tow truck for a Gilmore gas station.  Gilmore of Los Angeles called itself "the world's most unusual oil company."  The 2014 book about the company, "Roar With Gilmore," is a great read full of vintage photos in B&W and color. Looks like it's out of print right now, but definitely worth getting if you're "a sucker for old gas stations." 

https://www.roddersjournal.com/shop/roar-with-gilmore/ 

1931-ford-model-a.jpg

If ya look close on the Left , I took a Willys and painted in authentic Black simply because Willys had few colors they actually offered the truck in at the factory . besides that , this Amoco station built in 1937 actually had such a truck  in the year I show it , 1948 . Vehicles then were lucky to be complete as the Scrap drives took everything !

Amoco Projek 2016 Lewis Ginter.jpg

23 hours ago, House of 13 said:

Many thanks Richie and Gary, tremendously appreciated! 

Thought that I snoop around for some suitable wrecker parts as well, while I'm at it....

A kit that might offer the wrecker parts would be the AMT/Lindberg '34 Ford pick-up kit. The older issues had the option of a small wrecker boom that mounted inside the bed. The kit also had a flat steak bed version that could be used. There have been a few Chevrolet truck kits issued with the wrecker boom. I think most of them are based on the old Billy Carter kit. Billy Carter was the brother of our President Jimmy Carter. Lets just say they were very different than one another. 

On 2/23/2019 at 1:27 PM, martin9428 said:

I remember as a kid, Mobil was giving out paper kites with the Pegasus on it. I remember cutting rags in strips for the tail. I flew that thing until I lost it in a tree.

Nice story. Thanks for sharing.

On 2/23/2019 at 1:50 PM, Mike999 said:

If you want to go more vintage, here's a real beauty.  1931 Model A tow truck for a Gilmore gas station.  Gilmore of Los Angeles called itself "the world's most unusual oil company."  The 2014 book about the company, "Roar With Gilmore," is a great read full of vintage photos in B&W and color. Looks like it's out of print right now, but definitely worth getting if you're "a sucker for old gas stations." 

https://www.roddersjournal.com/shop/roar-with-gilmore/ 

1931-ford-model-a.jpg

I built a model like it many years ago. Bought it for 89 cents because I liked the boom and there wasn't any other model that had it.

Please don't beat me up if I have the wrong  model year or boom on it.

Edited by R.D.F.

18 hours ago, Casey said:

One thing I would be careful of is the images used for reference. I would suggest trying to find only true vintage, original images, rather than images of either buildings or vehicles which have been restored.

s-l1600.jpg

mobilsta.thumb.png.1589e75e2f36c4cbfea1ebbf3e4e0a2f.png

If you look at the building that is metal panels attached together not just paint on cinder block. I had a gas station built like that.