Model Cars Magazine Forum

who dislikes Revell's 2 part door mirror's?

ranma

I’ll agree with the camp that likes the two part mirrors. As said, less parting lines and better details. Plus you can angle them on each side of the car like real mirrors.

Also I pin everything! I wouldn’t pin the two part mirror together, but certainly the base to the vehicle body. It’s sturdy and less chance to mess since I glue the pin on the inside of the body. In fact some of mine are held tight in the drilled hole and don’t even require glue!

38 minutes ago, Ramfins59 said:

Elmer's Glue, Tamiya Thin Liquid Cement, 2 Part 5 minute Epoxy, non-fogging CA glue, and clear enamel are all in the "arsenal".

Yes, there is not such thing as too many adhesives (for models).  Testors tube cement can only do so much. :D

I have bought the non-fogging CA in the past, but it is more expensive and with using the accelerator I really don't really have a need for it (the glue sets before it can fog anything).

http://www.bsi-inc.com/hobby/super_gold.html

super_gold.jpg

57 minutes ago, peteski said:

Yes, there is not such thing as too many adhesives

Actually, in my opinion, there is.

Once a tube of glue, jar of paint or tube of putty is opened, it is very likely that it will eventually dry up.

If it doesn't get used frequently, it's likely to become a waste of money.

Part of the reason why I buy mostly basic paint colors and mix my own variations.

Frugality has it's place in every endeavor. ;)

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

8 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Actually, in my opinion, there is.

Once a tube of glue, jar of paint or tube of putty is opened, it is very likely that it will eventually dry up.

If it doesn't get used frequently, it's likely to become a waste of money.

Part of the reason why I buy mostly basic paint colors and mix my own variations.

Frugality has it's place in every endeavor. ;)

Steve

Hey, whatever works for you. I have some adhesives and paints which are over 30 years old and they are still fully usable. But your right, some paints and adhesives (and especially urethane casting resins) have limited life.

I deal with them.   They are a bit fussy for my ham handed skill set.  But they do look good when they come out right.   Just one of thse things to learn to master or at least be able to pull off.   Just last week, I bought a Franklin Mint 55 Pontiac.   Seller said he'd tape the mirror to the door so it wouldn't get lost in the box in shipping.   Turns out the mirror is one of these, even has the tiny bowtie molded in.  I think epoxy had been used to assemble the mirror from looking at it.