Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum
Trendsetta68

1968 SS 396 Chevelle

Recommended Posts

Getting my Chevelle underway..... this kit looks promising with the builds that have been posted up so far.

It will be painted Tripoli Turquoise with a parchment and black interior. White SS stripes will be my choice for the decals. They will help accent the white vinyl top. 

Minor wiring and plumbing on the 396 engine and accessories. 

An opening deck lid to showcase the trunk area details will be added as well. 

Pics coming later...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Chassis pic ..... underway progress of paint color overspray, black inner fenders, and I masked off the gas tank, it was painted first.

Chassis 1.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Trendsetta68 said:

I painted the frame gloss black ... and here's a pic of the painted gas tank as well ...

 

Chassis 2.png

Don't forget to mask the tank and remove the frame when simulating factory overspray ;)

Also try to think as a paint shop worker, correct me if I'm wrong but when he's spraying he's only trying to cover the rockers.

 

Edited by Luc Janssens

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks good so far. You might consider removing the verbiage on the floor pan above where the differential goes. The rear end my hide most of it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎2‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 11:08 AM, espo said:

Looks good so far. You might consider removing the verbiage on the floor pan above where the differential goes. The rear end my hide most of it. 

kool.....

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

On 2/25/2019 at 12:50 PM, Luc Janssens said:

 

Also try to think as a paint shop worker, correct me if I'm wrong but when he's spraying he's only trying to cover the rockers.

 

As a rule, GM cars from the mid 1960s-up have pretty good paint coverage underneath. When the paint shop guys finished their primary job they blew paint under the body before the next body came into the booth. Not all of the underbody paint was thick enough to level out and get real glossy in the baking tunnel but much of it did.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Daddy Mack said:

 

As a rule, GM cars from the mid 1960s-up have pretty good paint coverage underneath. When the paint shop guys finished their primary job they blew paint under the body before the next body came into the booth. Not all of the underbody paint was thick enough to level out and get real glossy in the baking tunnel but much of it did.

Awesome!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice job so far and glad to see it in a color not usually done. Are you airbrushing or spray canning this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, mikemodeler said:

Nice job so far and glad to see it in a color not usually done. Are you airbrushing or spray canning this?

Thanks, I'm airbrushing it in Tripoli Turq. poly , Parchment interior, and up in the air on what wheels to go with ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got the chassis just about complete ..... added some minor details to it, with just a few adjustment left on it .....

 

Chassis 3.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Trendsetta68 said:

I was wondering if any resin casters made this wheel ......................

 

1968 Chevelle gold_rag.jpg

Check out Fireball Modelworks, he recently added some late 60's GM hubcaps and I know he has them for 67 Chevelles, not sure if the 68's are different.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, mikemodeler said:

Check out Fireball Modelworks, he recently added some late 60's GM hubcaps and I know he has them for 67 Chevelles, not sure if the 68's are different.

Awesome news, thanks for the info !!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On to the body ..... I decided to cut the trunk open so I can later detail that area with spare tire, jack, and trunk mat.....

 

body 1.png

body 2.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...