Model Cars Magazine Forum

Masking tape

Does anyone have a preference in masking tapes? I just used the testors tape and, while it was better than cutting strips of painters tape, it left much to be desired. Wouldn’t stay down in curves, lots of overspray, etc. I’ve read mention of the Tamiya tape and have looked into actual auto tape. What day the masses?

1 hour ago, cobraman said:

I use Tamiya tape, blue masking tape and BMF.

I use the same.

This will pretty much cover all of the bases.

I avoid using standard masking tape any place where it will be touching my paint jobs.

I've had multiple issues, including pulling off paint and leaving residue that can be difficult to remove.

You're better off limiting the use of any tape that will be touching your prized paint job and use masking paper as much as possible.

Steve

I have been using this lately and have been really impressed with it.... available in 1/32" and 1/28" 

https://painthuffer.bigcartel.com/product/fbs-micro-fineline-crepe-tape-pt43

I stopped at the FBS booth at SEMA and talked to them, got some samples to try...and I've been really impressed.   Painthuffer is just my favorite distributor of their products.

On 2/25/2019 at 12:07 PM, hguenth2003 said:

I have good experiences with MT Washi Tape.

Hobby Lobby, Michael's and Walmart all sell Washi tape in 1/2" width. It is sold for decorating in the scrapbooking area and is printed with designs, but I think it's the same thing and is pretty cheap to try.