Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/12 scale bbc questions

I’m debating over using the blown bbc in Monograms 1/12 Vette or 3D model specialties printed bbc with a tunnel ram in a current project. Can anyone tell me if the blown Monogram has a street pulley , alternator drive etc, or is strictly race? Also how much clean up can I expect to have with 3D printed parts? I realize that material matters but how much difference is there? Thanks in advance

18 hours ago, Fantom said:

Can anyone tell me if the blown Monogram has a street pulley , alternator drive etc, or is strictly race?

I'm 99% sure it is a three-pulley, race only type setup, with no provision to use the alternator and blower belt.

There are a few 1/12 scale TDR BBCs in the Big Boys section which were printed through Shapeways, so take a look at them and see how much work will be required. I have yet to see a commonly available 3D printed part with smooth surfaces (such as the deck surface of an engine block), but the grainy texture of a 3D printed part is good for replicating the cast iron surface of an engine block, cylinder heads, etc. When it gets down to the smaller details (say, freeze plugs, engine mount bosses, etc.), kit parts still have better detail.

4 hours ago, Fantom said:

Thanks for the info...still undecided as to which way to go...I’d really like the tunnel ram on a bbc but the pics I see show lots of evidence of the printing process, and while I’m not opposed to clean up , it looks like a lot.

Both the 1/12 Monogram '57 Chevy and '69 Camaro kits contain tunnel ram intakes, though both are designed to fit SBCs. The '57s tunnel ram is not as nice/realistic as the Camaro part(s), though, IMHO.

Edited by Casey

7 minutes ago, Casey said:

Both the 1/12 Monogram '57 Chevy and '69 Camaro kits contain tunnel ram intakes, though both are designed to fit SBCs. The '57s tunnel ram is not as nice/realistic as the Camaro part(s), though, IMHO. Here are the three parts from the Camaro's Edelbrock tunnel ram intake:

IMG_20190227_150201.thumb.jpg.67d3c6d04b4530af0a7d5e0c5dc6c050.jpg

IMG_20190227_150152.thumb.jpg.2c2e5c577d9268dedc57c668e51c85d5.jpg

IMG_20190227_150137.thumb.jpg.9aa1cf5f02b8ecbf965e69f9fb3e1aaf.jpg

IMG_20190227_150128.thumb.jpg.0b4420aa0e4fc5e968ae51f85db5abb8.jpg

Yes, I have the Camaro engine, and I’ll use it in a pinch but I’d really like a big block 

Do you know what material the parts were printed in that you were looking at? There is a smoothest detail plastic that has a really good finish. Cleanup is non-existent, though you will want to wash the parts with soapy water when you first get them. The downside of the 3D printed parts will be the cost however.

I have a 1/16 BBC with 4bbl intake by TDR Innovations that was printed in the detail plastic. If you'd like, I could get a picture tonight and post it here so you can get an idea of the unpainted parts. I can also show you the 1/12 scale 4bbl intake I got for the Camaro engine so you can see how the finish looks in 1/12 scale.

5 hours ago, Jordan White said:

I have a 1/16 BBC with 4bbl intake by TDR Innovations that was printed in the detail plastic. If you'd like, I could get a picture tonight and post it here so you can get an idea of the unpainted parts. I can also show you the 1/12 scale 4bbl intake I got for the Camaro engine so you can see how the finish looks in 1/12 scale.

That would be awesome thank you