[[Template core/front/global/utilitiesMenu does not exist. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]
Sign in to follow this  
onedcharette

antique wrecker/tow truck/stakebed/flatbed truck wanted

looking for something antique to build a wrecker etc.

The AMT/Lindberg 1934 Ford pickup had certain issues with wrecker parts included.  Someone may have one they are willing to trade.

Just saw the 34 @ HL. Has the wrecker parts but no mention of the stake bed. $30.00 bucks but with 40% off coupon less than $20.00 with tax.

found one on ebay shipped for 25..... thank you very much!!!! 

Hangman is a wrecker

The MPC Datsun pickup "The Scavenger" has a wrecker unit.

Dana, I spent a year scratch building a 1925 Ford model TT wrecker. If you'll PM me your email address I can send you photos of what I did. I took lots of in progress pix of just about everything that I can share. Mine has hand crank Weaver model T3 winch assembly and a wooden cab.

I built one too. It wasn't that bad building it, just time, measuring & lots of styrene.

003.JPG

cab & stuff 022.JPG

Mark, where did you find your plans/dimensions for that boom assembly?

On 3/7/2019 at 7:35 PM, misterNNL said:

Mark, where did you find your plans/dimensions for that boom assembly?

Hi Tom, My father had a 1:1 of this boom so I had it to use for reference. He sold it years ago but I do know who has it. Next time I see it I can try to get some dimensions for you. He brings it to shows once in a while & it's going to be that time soon. He has it mounted on a 47 Chevy 1 ton. 

Thanks,what brand is the wrecker assembly ? Usually if I can get a good straight on side photo and a couple overall dimensions such as the length of a major component like a boom arm the whole thing can be built in any scale .

8 hours ago, misterNNL said:

Thanks,what brand is the wrecker assembly ? Usually if I can get a good straight on side photo and a couple overall dimensions such as the length of a major component like a boom arm the whole thing can be built in any scale .

This one is a "Manley Wrecking Crane"

5a5aa432a29df_s-l1600(26).jpg.07afc46c2305ed6fa8732cdd9c53f48d.jpg

Posted (edited)

Wow! Great vintage ad image. If we could find the length of that main beam side arm,the approx.diameter of the big gear and the width of the horizontal angle iron at the rear of that main beam this would be a fun build indeed. I have photographed this image and will add it to my Pintrest album titled "inspiration for future model projects" to be sure I can find it later. Any large car like a '20's Chrysler,or Caddy would make a perfect starting point for a project like this one. Many conversions like this were done to big cars that had been wrecked that they were commonly known as service cars. The beefed up rear springs are obvious in this image. Most of this can be built with Evergreen styrene angles and strips with hex stock and rod cut to length for bolt heads fasteners.

I went on line just now and bought a reprint copy of a 1926 Manley wrecker crane and shop eqt catalog to use for reference when I decide to build one. Book was only $ 20.00.

Edited by misterNNL
forgotten details

my father in law has a 49 chevy wrecker that he made the wrecker assembly, he still uses it to this day, its a single wheel 1 ton

On 3/15/2019 at 12:44 PM, gray07 said:

my father in law has a 49 chevy wrecker that he made the wrecker assembly, he still uses it to this day, its a single wheel 1 ton

Cool! We have a 33 Ford doodlebug with a different style Manley wrecker boom we still use too.

1928-advertisement-manley-wrecking_1_8cc0ad5a48671b7c5ab6c44d74567b28.jpg

2131334929860f431d9a775c9f629eee.jpg