Model Cars Magazine Forum

New 1/24 Tamiya kit?

BVC500

32 minutes ago, Matt Bacon said:

Tamiya kits are the best designed, engineered and shape-wise accurate kits in the world!

can't disagree with that, although they do make mistakes sometimes (maybe not so in their automotive lineup)

On 3/2/2019 at 4:58 AM, niteowl7710 said:

because their kits tend to only have one release per tool.

A significant factor on ROI!

Also, a question for those in the know, do they everything in-house? (all Japan or farm out to Chinese vendors too?)

Edited by Luc Janssens

On 2/28/2019 at 8:43 AM, tim boyd said:

A new Mustang GT from Tamiya would be terrific. 

If it is a showroom  car (as opposed to a race car) It better have a full, stand alone engine as part of the kit content.  (The "engine" in their Ford GT kit is an epic failure in my view). 

Here's hoping....TIM 

Agreed on the GT engine. The kit seems really nice but, would have liked to see an engine that has more than four parts

3 hours ago, Luc Janssens said:

Also, a question for those in the know, do they everything in-house? (all Japan or farm out to Chinese vendors too?)

For the longest time they were outsourcing the actual injection molding and production to a facility in the Phillipines. I really haven't paid attention to where the recent kits have been made.

30 minutes ago, niteowl7710 said:

For the longest time they were outsourcing the actual injection molding and production to a facility in the Phillipines. I really haven't paid attention to where the recent kits have been made.

I have a couple of re-releases of the M-B 500 SEC, which were shot and packaged in the Philippines, it also is printed on the box.

3 hours ago, martin9428 said:

Agreed on the GT engine. The kit seems really nice but, would have liked to see an engine that has more than four parts

The real thing:

2017-Ford-GT-Barrett-2.png

The kit:

c6aaac36a9f79b2bcbae081181868c01.jpg

Doesn't look too shabby to me... I might squeeze a few more wires/tubes around the existing pipes at the back end, but other than that Tamiya seems to have captured it pretty well...

best,

M.

Tamiya have done a full detail 1/24 mustang before. I used to have both versions of them. The 95? cobra had and engine while the similar age convertible was a curbside. I haven't seen one for sale in years though but i still have the wheels from the cobra. The engine was half moulded to the chassis with maybe 10 parts to add to make it complete. Its 20 years since i had one so my memory might be off on the number of parts but as i recall it even had the interior door detail unlike some of the newer kits that have some grooves instead

2 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

Just checked my Ford GT and it says "Made in the Phillipines" on it, so obviously that outsourcing continues then.

interesting and could explain the price drop from 50-60 Euro's to low to high 40s. here in my neck of the woods...

TAM24346 1/24 KIT (MAQUETTE)
Ford GT
  € 42.50 HORS STOCK / NO STOCK nocart.gif TELL FRIEND ALERT getThumb.php?pic=TAM24346
Edited by Luc Janssens

3 hours ago, Matt Bacon said:

The real thing:

2017-Ford-GT-Barrett-2.png

The kit:

c6aaac36a9f79b2bcbae081181868c01.jpg

Doesn't look too shabby to me... I might squeeze a few more wires/tubes around the existing pipes at the back end, but other than that Tamiya seems to have captured it pretty well...

best,

M.

I love those pictures and would like to find a good carbon fiber decal sheet to use on my build as well as some nice screen for the various ports. This kit varies in price but, I was able to get it for $40 at the show. He wanted $47

4 hours ago, stitchdup said:

Tamiya have done a full detail 1/24 mustang before. I used to have both versions of them. The 95? cobra had and engine while the similar age convertible was a curbside. I haven't seen one for sale in years though but i still have the wheels from the cobra. The engine was half moulded to the chassis with maybe 10 parts to add to make it complete. Its 20 years since i had one so my memory might be off on the number of parts but as i recall it even had the interior door detail unlike some of the newer kits that have some grooves instead

The '95 Cobra R Mustang Tamiya did doesn't have a "full engine" really. It has the lower half of the engine molded into the chassis. There are a few other pieces to the top half but not a separate block/tranny/heads etc still built up it looks ok. About 10 parts or so is about right. The did a great job on the detail tho, like the interior as mentioned.

8 hours ago, martin9428 said:

I have been wanting the Tamiya Ford GT kit. I have been watching build videos and was amazed at the quality and fit of the kit. Looks like it's going to be a pleasure to build.

It is a nice kit and if you search around you can get it for a decent price. Here in Canada it's listed for about $80 CDN, plus tax and shipping if you cant get it locally. I can get it for about $55 CDN shipped from Asia right now, if I'm ok with waiting 2 weeks for delivery, which I am. It's starting to show up on Asian websites now so look around, you can get it for a good price, and for how good the built kit looks, its worth it. I know a lot of people want a full engine, but with the way the car is designed, you just cant see it in there. Would I like to have on, sure, but for me it's not a breaking point. If it were a kit that had a more visible engine, then yes, I think it would be a must, ie a new Mustang for me, would have to have a full or near full engine, and highly detailed as it would be visible with an opening hood.

On 4/3/2019 at 12:06 AM, niteowl7710 said:

Just checked my Ford GT and it says "Made in the Phillipines" on it, so obviously that outsourcing continues then.

I wouldn't call it outsourcing, it is their own facility that they started in 1994.  Used to be that the newest kits were molded in Japan and after they became 2-3 years old they got shipped to the Philippines for periodic reissue.  I guess their work is good enough that even new tools are molded there now.

1 hour ago, fumi said:

I wouldn't call it outsourcing, it is their own facility that they started in 1994.  Used to be that the newest kits were molded in Japan and after they became 2-3 years old they got shipped to the Philippines for periodic reissue.  I guess their work is good enough that even new tools are molded there now.

Well "outsourcing" in terms of how we view it in America is moving jobs somewhere out of the country to a place with cheaper labor and economic pricing. When the U.S. Big 3 sent jobs to Mexico for example, GM/Ford/FCA own those facilities, their line cost for auto autoworkers is about $14/hr, which about half of what a UAW worker in Michigan would make.

Edited by niteowl7710

On ‎3‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 3:11 AM, Luc Janssens said:

IMHO it makes more sense for the unified Revell to tool up an all-new full detail Mustang kit, preferably the 2020 Shelby version ;)

But that's just MHO

2020-ford-shelby-mustang-gt500-1.jpg

Somebody needs to do this in kit form would prefer Tamiya but will buy any kit.

On 3/3/2019 at 1:51 AM, Matt Bacon said:

Because Tamiya kits are the best designed, engineered and shape-wise accurate kits in the world? When did you last hear anyone complaining that Tamiya had got the roofline or fender shape wrong on their <insert kit here>...

best,

M.

Not really apropos of where this discussion has gone, but the very SN95 Mustang kits mentioned earlier were something rare from Tamiya: a mistake.  The proportions on those were horrendous, as if the front end were scaled differently from the rear, differently again from the squashed greenhouse particularly in the Cobra.

At least they didn't cock up the new GT like that. Or, apparently, this new Mustang GT4 body set.

Edited by Chuck Kourouklis
link fix

7 minutes ago, Ahajmano said:

I don’t know how manufacturers stay in business making plastic models altogether. I’m 34, and I don’t know very many people my age or younger who are picking up the hobby. When I was 15, I knew many more people into it. 

I guess older folks like myself tend to compensate that by buying much more kits than they'll ever manage to build... :D I see your point, speaking of younger generations, my opinion is that kids today have much too much diversion and consumption like electronic media, video games etc. They barely have the "calmness" to sit down and try something that may some time building. My boy is 11 years old and I built 2 snap kits with him some time ago. He was complaining that all the parts were wrong while doing that. So I don't see him being the one to build my kit pile some day, so far at least...  :unsure: 

My daughter is 6 and I build legos with her. I’m not sure if she will continue to do so when she is a little older or move to modeling. I don’t mind if she does or does not. I just enjoy spending time with her on something other than electronics. 

1 hour ago, cars1206 said:

Not sure where I saw it but the next Tamiya kit is a racing Toyota. One of the proto type / not a street style car.

This discussion is on the NEXT one, after the Toyota. The TS050 that won Le Mans last year is due out in April or May. The release that started this was for a 1/10 scale Porsche. It snowballed into kind of a wish list after that.

The reason Tamiya does not do more american cars is simple. The US is is only a small portion of there. The same for Japanese makers who sell allot worldwide. They do sell well . The BEMAX kit of the Lancia S4  rally car  sold out immediately

54 minutes ago, 935k3 said:

The reason Tamiya does not do more american cars is simple. The US is is only a small portion of there. The same for Japanese makers who sell allot worldwide. They do sell well . The BEMAX kit of the Lancia S4  rally car  sold out immediately

Its not just the numbers game, it has to do with licencing. With Ford allowing them to do the new Mustang GT4 car and the Ford GT they may do other items. As far as any other US cars its up to the manufacturer to give the ok to Tamiya or whomever. 

If Tamiya continues its relationship with Ford I'd really like to see the new Raptor and the Shelby GT500 down the road. Ford has been shipping lots of Raptors to China the last few years, so it's not totally without possibility.

5 hours ago, 935k3 said:

You hit the nail on the head there K3. I think the truth is Aoshima (road cars)/ Beemax (racing/rally cars) have really taken the market over in Japan. Tamiya seem to have found themselves in an awkward position with odd choices. Of course the American market is pretty much spoken for by Revell/AMT/Round 2 etc. I think if Tamiya want to get back in the market, they should do more Japanese cars. For example the Tamiya Mazda RX7 Efini, must have sold a phenomenal number of units. Same for the Nissan GTR R32 and R34. These are the cars young people relate too. They don't have a huge amount of patience for large decalling/ complicated builds. The Ford GT was already covered by Revell and is not Japanese so probably won't sell that well. The Toyoto Lemans winner may sell well, however will be a complicated kitset for inexperienced builders (and probably me too).