Model Cars Magazine Forum

New 1/24 Tamiya kit?

BVC500

2 hours ago, Michael jones said:

You hit the nail on the head there K3. I think the truth is Aoshima (road cars)/ Beemax (racing/rally cars) have really taken the market over in Japan. Tamiya seem to have found themselves in an awkward position with odd choices. Of course the American market is pretty much spoken for by Revell/AMT/Round 2 etc. I think if Tamiya want to get back in the market, they should do more Japanese cars. For example the Tamiya Mazda RX7 Efini, must have sold a phenomenal number of units. Same for the Nissan GTR R32 and R34. These are the cars young people relate too. They don't have a huge amount of patience for large decalling/ complicated builds. The Ford GT was already covered by Revell and is not Japanese so probably won't sell that well. The Toyoto Lemans winner may sell well, however will be a complicated kitset for inexperienced builders (and probably me too).

I think they would find success with the untapped truck/SUV market. Tacoma’s, newer Pajeros, Land Rovers, a 4 Runner would be great.

Aoshima has turned into the Round2 of Japan. They've only made two new tool kits in the past 2 years (ProBox and R34 Sedan) everything else has been reissues of existing tooling into new kit marketing lineups, for...2...years. The LB R35s are modified reissues which there are now 5 of pushing the limits of interest for pretty much everyone. The most recent Huracan and Pagani versions were kits planned several years ago.

I'd also add that a $8 toy for kids can't be compared to an actual model kit.

On 3/15/2019 at 1:56 PM, niteowl7710 said:

Aoshima has turned into the Round2 of Japan. They've only made two new tool kits in the past 2 years (ProBox and R34 Sedan) everything else has been reissues of existing tooling into new kit marketing lineups, for...2...years. The LB R35s are modified reissues which there are now 5 of pushing the limits of interest for pretty much everyone. The most recent Huracan and Pagani versions were kits planned several years ago.

You are discounting the line of six all new 1/32 snap kits they released since the end of 2017, which appears to be one of their upcoming focus.

Still, releasing 2-3 new 1/24 molds every 2-3 years is not bad for a 2nd tier manufacturer like Aoshima.  And for many of the reissues, they are able to bundle new parts to make them interesting (like the front lip for the AE86 Trueno and the aero bumper for the upcoming Initial D S13 Silvia).

Well comes to that, isn't Aoshima also doing R&D for Beemax?

Leaning on those 1/32 snappers with plastic tires and fold-up interior panels just as they're designed might be problematic, especially now that Fujimi has come out with some 1/24 snap kits that give up practically nothing to the standard Japanese kit sans engine that's otherwise fully detailed.  Their FJ is pretty brilliant.

3 hours ago, Chuck Kourouklis said:

Well comes to that, isn't Aoshima also doing R&D for Beemax?

Leaning on those 1/32 snappers with plastic tires and fold-up interior panels just as they're designed might be problematic, especially now that Fujimi has come out with some 1/24 snap kits that give up practically nothing to the standard Japanese kit sans engine that's otherwise fully detailed.  Their FJ is pretty brilliant.

Beemax keeps hiring more and more of their own employees or contracting things (like decal artwork) out to people not associated with Aoshima. If they keep hitting on subject matter it makes me wonder how much longer that dual-"branding" on the box will last.  Perhaps once they get the last version of the MP4/4 out the door later this summer as that was the one kit Aoshima had a particularly heavy role in developing. 

1 hour ago, Michael jones said:

How long till that Starion comes out I wonder? I guess either way the Volvo, Audi and Lancia are still in my to do pile...

The M3 Evo Sport II is the next modified reissue due next month. The next new tool will be the Mitsubishi Lancer Rally car which is probably a May release.

The next modified reissue will then either be a rebox of the Cruze with Macau liveries or the Toyota Carina BTCC reboxed of the Corona. The next new kit will be the Starion - soooo...late Summer.

On 3/20/2019 at 3:18 AM, Chuck Kourouklis said:

Aoshima is aiming their snappers to first time modellers, parents getting their kids something quick and easy to build and especially people who are getting back into the hobby after decades of hiatus.  It seems to be working fine so far.

Fujimi's Car Next series cost more than a full detailed Tamiya kit while Aoshima's are selling for less than 1300 yen, roughly the same as two bowls of ramen.  They are in entirely different markets.