Model Cars Magazine Forum

New 1/24 Tamiya kit?

BVC500

Tamiya is teasing a new kit on FB, to be announced on March 1st.  Not sure if it's 1/24 or RC.  From the silhouette and that antennae sticking up on the hood, I'm thinking it's a Porsche 911 GT3 cup car, but does the 1:1 cup car have an antennae on the hood?  If not, then this could be an RC car.  If it's a 1/24 car, it's great Tamiya is active again in the 1/24 space...I'd just love to see a road version - imagine the customization possibilities!

Tamiya.jpg

Edited by BVC500

Sure that's an antenna? It looks to me like it might be the top of one of the four turrets that secure the polycarbonate body to their R/C chassis... the others would be hidden in silhouette at that angle, though I do wonder what's happened to the rear wing, which looks rather broken!

best,

M.

With the large peg on the hood it is definitely an RC car. They have the Mustang GT4 coming out in about a month. I'm hoping (and asked Tamiya) that they produce the Mustang in 1/24, pipedream I'm sure, but here's hoping. I'd like to see a modern Porsche from Tamiya too. With the loss of the Ferrari licencing maybe they're going back after the Porsche licencing now. 

If there are any more new plastic model kits from Tamiya this year, I doubt will see anything till the later quarters with the TS050 still to come at the start of Q2.

Edited by Jhedir6

2 hours ago, Jhedir6 said:

With the large peg on the hood it is definitely an RC car. They have the Mustang GT4 coming out in about a month. I'm hoping (and asked Tamiya) that they produce the Mustang in 1/24, pipedream I'm sure, but here's hoping. I'd like to see a modern Porsche from Tamiya too. With the loss of the Ferrari licencing maybe they're going back after the Porsche licencing now. 

If there are any more new plastic model kits from Tamiya this year, I doubt will see anything till the later quarters with the TS050 still to come at the start of Q2.

A new Mustang GT from Tamiya would be terrific. 

If it is a showroom  car (as opposed to a race car) It better have a full, stand alone engine as part of the kit content.  (The "engine" in their Ford GT kit is an epic failure in my view). 

Here's hoping....TIM 

7 minutes ago, tim boyd said:

The "engine" in their Ford GT kit is an epic failure in my view

Why's that? General lack of detail or did they forget about the turbos on this twin-turbo engine like Revell did...? :D

@JC: you COULD be right, in fact I hope you ARE! Do Tamiya have a valid Porsche license? 

Edited by Tommy124

5 hours ago, Tommy124 said:

Why's that? General lack of detail or did they forget about the turbos on this twin-turbo engine like Revell did...? :D

@JC: you COULD be right, in fact I hope you ARE! Do Tamiya have a valid Porsche license? 

Tamiya only included the top half of the motor, Heads and intake and that's about it. The whole engine is like 4 parts not including the decals. Now once built you can only see what they put in the kit anyways, think of the Aston DBS or Nissan GTR, 

5 hours ago, tim boyd said:

If it is a showroom  car (as opposed to a race car) It better have a full, stand alone engine as part of the kit content.  (The "engine" in their Ford GT kit is an epic failure in my view). 

Here's hoping....TIM 

The Ford RC is the Mustang GT4 race car, which would be fine with me, but I can see people wanting a street car, I wouldnt say no to that either. For what you can see in the GT of the engine it looks right, but yes, not bothering to put a motor under there is a shame, they did it on the NSX and it looks amazing, but once assembled you cant see most of it anyways. 

13 hours ago, tim boyd said:

Here's hoping....TIM 

Yeah Yeah here we go with the Ford engine thing out of Tim again :D

In all seriousness are you, or anyone else for that matter, going to really pay in the $60 range for a Mustang kit just to get an engine? The NSX and Ford GT are $40-45 Tamiya kits for a reason. Even with what the NSX gets its hardly an entire engine. Considering what price static they'd be up against - Revell Mustangs were $20 or less - they be better off doing something brutally basic ala Revell's "pre-paint" '14 kit to keep those tooling costs down to bare bones.

Let's not forget there already is a very affordable kit of the current Mustang car:

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/revell-85-1996-2018-mustang-gt--1086558

:lol:

It does not have an engine and it lacks a lot more, but I've seen people build a nice model out of this. You'll have to figure out how to solve the "headlight problem" first, though...

19 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

Yeah Yeah here we go with the Ford engine thing out of Tim again :D

In all seriousness are you, or anyone else for that matter, going to really pay in the $60 range for a Mustang kit just to get an engine? The NSX and Ford GT are $40-45 Tamiya kits for a reason. Even with what the NSX gets its hardly an entire engine. Considering what price static they'd be up against - Revell Mustangs were $20 or less - they be better off doing something brutally basic ala Revell's "pre-paint" '14 kit to keep those tooling costs down to bare bones.

Yep, you're gonna here it from me this time and again in the future when applicable....

Tamiya needs to include full engines in kits that replicate cars that exist in part because they have great engines powering them.  And particularly so in kits that replicate cars that are primarily sold in North America.  And yes, they need to be included at the existing Tamiya price point. 

I realized that many (maybe even most on this board) disagree with me, but this is my perspective and I'm sticking to it.   

Best Regards....TIM

Edited by tim boyd

They used to have a series called Tamtech years ago - I had one or two of them. I know the Porsche 961 was a part of the series; that's where the static model kit came from. I don't remember what others there were. They were fun and matched the scale of model cars, but they weren't anywhere close to the 1/10 or 1/12 cars in performance....

5 hours ago, tim boyd said:

Yep, you're gonna here it from me this time and again in the future when applicable....

Tamiya needs to include full engines in kits that replicate cars that exist in part because they have great engines powering them.  And particularly so in kits that replicate cars that are primarily sold in North America.  And yes, they need to be included at the existing Tamiya price point. 

I realized that many (maybe even most on this board) disagree with me, but this is my perspective and I'm sticking to it.   

Best Regards....TIM

And you know full well Tamiya can't price them on the lower end of the spectrum because their kits tend to only have one release per tool. Granted there are plenty of options if they really wanted to explore an entire series of Mustang offerings, but one and done full detail tooling of a Mustang is going to cost way more than the average MURICA!! REVELL!!! modeler is going to pay for them. I mean someone else in this thread (albeit tongue in cheek I believe) pointed out there's already that Build n Play version of the current generation Mustang and that thing is like $8.

Look at what the Galaxie Chevies cost and that was a multi-use tool. Look how much the Salvino JR NASCAR kits are running and those all share the same God awful MPC Era "think tank" generic adjustable chassis and have multiple kits per new body over them.

I don't necessarily think you're wrong in wanting the engine per se, but I do believe you're being unrealistic in the practical business terms of producing it in the prevailing headwinds.

Edited by niteowl7710

7 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

And you know full well Tamiya can't price them on the lower end of the spectrum because their kits tend to only have one release per tool. Granted there are plenty of options if they really wanted to explore an entire series of Mustang offerings, but one and done full detail tooling of a Mustang is going to cost way more than the average MURICA!! REVELL!!! modeler is going to pay for them. I mean someone else in this thread (albeit tongue in cheek I believe) pointed out there's already that Build n Play version of the current generation Mustang and that thing is like $8.

Look at what the Galaxie Chevies cost and that was a multi-use tool. Look how much the Salvino JR NASCAR kits are running and those all share the same God awful MPC Era "think tank" generic adjustable chassis and have multiple kits per new body over them.

I don't necessarily think you're wrong in wanting the engine per se, but I do believe you're being unrealistic in the practical business terms of producing it in the prevailing headwinds.

James....you make good points.... and you clearly (from this and many of your prior posts) understand both the business world and the model car kit industry in particular.   As you and others may know, I have also spent 40+ years in the business world and have done work (some paid, mostly unpaid) for most of the domestic kit makers (but not the Japanese) at various times over the last 45 years.   And  you are 1000% correct in pointing out that there are always tradeoffs that must be managed in a kit development effort. 

Having been retired at Ford for five years, I am no longer privy to their future Mustang cycle plans, but I can say with a certain degree of certainty that if it were properly planned in advance, there would be a number of kit derivatives Tamiya could develop based on the current Mustang product range.   Whether those derivatives could offset the added costs of an accurate engine I do not know, but my sense is "yes" and including the engines would help with the differentiation/justification to purchase all the kit derivatives rather than just the first tool cut.   

Fundamentally it comes down to this one consideration - I have always believed that a model car is at the most important, a precise scale replica of the real thing. 

And of course, the real thing has a real, stand alone engine and powertrain.  Any kit that omits this is in my view a short cut, and especially a short cut at the price Tamiya charges for their kits. 

I also realize that this may be a consideration that is generationally linked - i.e. those that started building models in the 1960's are more likely to share my view, while those that began building models in the 1970s or 1980's or later (when Japanese kits became widely available) developed a different point of view.  I've stated mine, you've stated yours; good conversation and I thank you for that.

TIM 

If Tamiya made a 1/24 version full detail Mustang I would be ecstatic. People would pay a premium for that. It wouldn’t necessarily have to be the newest model either. The Mustang has deserved Tamiya(Even Aoshima) quality for a long time in 1/24(not 1/25)

They could even go the RX-7 R1/ RX-7 Efini route 

Edited by DiscoRover007

I wonder why people on here defend Tamaya for selling curbside kits at 20% to 30% higher than the companies here do for full detail kits.  The Olds 442 and Mustang kit from Revell just a few years back had full engines and they were not 40 to 50 bucks.  Is it because they are paying more for the licensing of Various Brand names on the product?  

Because Tamiya kits are the best designed, engineered and shape-wise accurate kits in the world? When did you last hear anyone complaining that Tamiya had got the roofline or fender shape wrong on their <insert kit here>. It seems to me that they make choices about the level of detail that’s required based on what you can see, and on less obvious criteria. The DBS has an opening hood, and you can’t tell the engine isn’t there in full... it’s not like an Olds or Mustang with a cavernous bay around the engine. The La Ferrari and FXX-K have a big opening clam, and full engines. The LFA, oddly, has a full drivetrain, maybe because it’s a project that was close to the boss’s heart... The Japanese manufacturers have always gone for a mixture of curb side, simplified, and full detail kits in their ranges — look at Aoshima and Fujimi as well. Tamiya has always made what they want, the way they want to, which is why we have a Storch and a Swordfish in 1/48 and a Jaguar Mark 2 or Alpine A110 in 1/24. Whether or not you want to buy them is of course up to you...

best,

M.