Model Cars Magazine Forum

Changed my mind, probably going with an Optivisor. Which one of these do you think would work best?

Reading some of the comments on Amazon led me to try and move up a notch or two in quality over the cheaper LS model.  I don't know enough about this stuff to make an informed choice, so TIA to all who can give me a reason for why you'd choose one of these over the other.

1) Donegan DA-5 Optivisor https://www.amazon.com/Donegan-OptiVisor-Headband-Magnifier-Magnification/dp/B0015IN8J6/ref=asc_df_B0015IN8J6/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=241958687412&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=13298036531492140430&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9025080&hvtargid=pla-353619776071&psc=1

2) Donegan DA-4 Optivisor https://www.ebay.com/itm/Donegan-DA-4-OptiVisor-Binocular-2X-Magnifier-Adjustable-Headband-Style-/172541375374?_trksid=p2349526.m4383.l4275.c10#viTabs_0 

Not sure what I did wrong with the link thing...

Edited by Monty

I don't think there is a difference in the head band.  I have owned one for close to 20 years and it doesn't appear that they have changed that part.  The difference is in the lenses.  They are quite easy to swap out as they just have two little plastic clips.  When I bought mine I decided I needed a range of lenses.  I bought the 3, 5, 7 and 10 diopter lenses and am very glad I did.  When I started I used the 3 and 5 most because I had no issues with vision. I didn't need glasses.  As I have gotten older that has changed dramatically.  I now use the 5 and 7 most often(I bought a second head band and have them  both mounted) but I also use the 10 for the really fine work.  By the way, these can also be used over regular glasses.  Depending on your eye sight I would recommend the 3 and 5 to start.  That gives you a good range.  If your eyes aren't so good then go with a 5 and 7.  You can always buy extra lenses later.  To my eyes, the 10 focuses at about 3 to 5 inches.  Very close work. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Miatatom said:

I'm considering these more expensive units because the Amazon reviews for most of the less costly visors list some common problems across the board, namely cheap acrylic lenses that produce distorted vision, break easily and are hard to change, and poorly designed plastic straps and fasteners that make it hard to keep the visor in place. 

There are already enough things in this hobby that can cause aggravation.  The last thing I need to do is add more to that list.  

I have been using these for about a year now and like them.They have a small led light and interchangeable lenses with different magnification.I like them because you can look around the lenses easily if needed.

https://www.amazon.com/YOCTOSUN-Magnifier-Professional-Jewelers-Interchangeable/dp/B01H8808H6/ref=sr_1_5?crid=3C0EJ2MVS0PCM&keywords=magnified+glasses+with+light&qid=1551308859&s=gateway&sprefix=magnified%2Caps%2C366&sr=8-5

I've been using your first one for about 20 or more years now. I literally couldn't build models without it. 

One thing to watch for: It WILL take some time to get used to. It can almost make you dizzy at first, but that will go away after a few times you use it and your eyes (and brain) will quickly and automatically make the necessary adjustments. 

Since you chose to go with the Optivisor (wise choice), I recommend that you spend the few extra dollars and go with the DA model. It is well worth it.

I own the DA model. They have cheapened the Optivisor's design a bit from the 30-year-old model I have. The adjustment knob is now plastic (mine was metal) and there are few other shortcuts they took.  But it is still worth its price.  The leather band on the forehead side makes it very comfortable to wear.

I have multiple lens plates (LP-4, 7 and 10).  I used to use 4 but now I pretty much use 7 exclusively.  #10 is a bit too strong.  I don't use any add-ons on it (like loupe or LED lights). MY workbench lighting is very bright.  Like others said, it might take a while to get used to, but once you do, you won't wan to take it off your head.  I also often wear a pair of cheal reading glasses under it so I can lift the hood and work without magnification. You just need glasses narrow enough to fit inside the hood.

I bought these from Amazon after using the headband type of magnifier. I found the headband uncomfortable. These wear like regular glasses and work great.

$19.99/CDN

There is this video on YT. They are making the point that the choice of the "right" lens is basically down to the distance that want to be looking at it with it. I agree based on my own experiences. I bought one DA-5 some weeks ago as you practically can NOT get another lens over here (or have to pay a hefty premium), This lens just was not right for me, I had to keep the parts I was working on closer to my head than was comfortable to me. I really liked it as product given the leather headband and all, but had to return it and stick to my cheaper visor for the reasons stated above. 

While of course it is true that different lenses have different working distance, it is all about the magnification factor. The lenses with higher magnification have shorter working distance.  I use #7 plate because I need fairly high magnification to work on my projects.  That also results in a short working distance, but I fully expect that and have no problem with that.  If one does not desire higher magnification factor then a pair of cheap dollar-store reading glasses (rated at +2.75 or higher - at least that is what I use) will work just as well as a headband magnifier with one of the lower number lens plated.  I wear the Optivisor when I need the magnification.  Then for even  stronger magnification I use a stereo microscope. But I realize that this is an overkill for most modelers, but some of my models are quite small, so I find the microscope indispensable.

BumperCarsNickle800.jpg.ddb04e5bed37235694439f0fe861a9f5.jpg

GolfCartCoin.jpg.56fc0bd4074ebce26c323f0285c7ca46.jpg

14KnoxCoin.jpg.b57f0e252414adb73aeebdd41b2fc35a.jpg

15_FordT_01_800.jpg.5d6a8ddf6f0fc703afdcd2c512e1fbcc.jpg

FedExCoin.jpg.99c1be0e94221702785cd526ea131ac5.jpg

Drag_lineQ.jpg.0e2d290e315ae023ade2e469ebee3e21.jpg

Edited by peteski
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, peteski said:

While of course it is true that different lenses have different working distance, it is all about the magnification factor. The lenses with higher magnification have shorter working distance.  I use #7 plate because I need fairly high magnification to work on my projects.  That also results in a short working distance, but I fully expect that and have no problem with that.  If one does not desire higher magnification factor then a pair of cheap dollar-store reading glasses (rated at +2.75 or higher - at least that is what I use) will work just as well as a headband magnifier with one of the lower number lens plated.  I wear the Optivisor when I need the magnification.  Then for even  stronger magnification I use a stereo microscope. But I realize that this is an overkill for most modelers, but some of my models are quite small, so I find the microscope indispensable.

BumperCarsNickle800.jpg.ddb04e5bed37235694439f0fe861a9f5.jpg

GolfCartCoin.jpg.56fc0bd4074ebce26c323f0285c7ca46.jpg

14KnoxCoin.jpg.b57f0e252414adb73aeebdd41b2fc35a.jpg

15_FordT_01_800.jpg.5d6a8ddf6f0fc703afdcd2c512e1fbcc.jpg

FedExCoin.jpg.99c1be0e94221702785cd526ea131ac5.jpg

Drag_lineQ.jpg.0e2d290e315ae023ade2e469ebee3e21.jpg

Ok Pete, were in the heck did you get such huge money!:lol: