Model Cars Magazine Forum

'65 Chevelles: AMT vs Revell

Snake45

19 hours ago, Jay t. said:

Why is it the bodies made in the 60’s are more accurate than the ones made now?  

I'm not an expert in this but isn't it true that the 60's models have been made with the direct aid of the car manufacturers (providing drawings, data and not least original cars) as the basis for making the kits, whereas the modern kits made decades later had to be based on more theoretical and second-hand material?

The old kits were were based on 1/10 wood models that most likely came from the big 3. Better is subjective, but clearly some roofs and wheel wells on some new models don't match the prototypes. 

I have thought some new kits were more accurate than the naysayers  said.

Other thing 'sides the drip rail giving the Revell body away instantly is the backward cant to the forward edges of the front wheel arches as they drop to rocker panel level.  CF the Craftsman, more accurate all around, for a better contour there.

Still 'n all, Revell kit is one of my faves, fancy that - perhaps because I was looking to make a Z-16 outta my Modelhaus re-pop all along, and Revell saved me trouble on so many levels.

On 3/4/2019 at 10:03 AM, Bob Ellis said:

The old kits were were based on 1/10 wood models that most likely came from the big 3. Better is subjective, but clearly some roofs and wheel wells on some new models don't match the prototypes. 

I have thought some new kits were more accurate than the naysayers  said.

As for the wooden masters being sourced from the big three, it's hard to say...masters for the individual kit parts would also have to be crafted by the kit manufacturers to trace on for the pantograph mills to cut the cavities of the molds, so clearly the kit manufacturers employed very skilled pattern makers anyway. I do get the impression though, that if a kit manufacturer had a promo contract, access was likely unprecedented for photographic references and production prototypes of new cars to measure and take notes from

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/2/2019 at 10:12 AM, Snake45 said:

A while back I wanted to do a '65 or '66 Chevy Biscayne 2DS. I bought a Revell convertible kit with the idea of modifying the up-top into that roof. It looks do-able. And I think it might be even closer to the 4-door shape than your GTO roof, but I'd have to do a lot more research to say for sure. 

Funny we can't get an accurate roof on a '64-'65 GM A-body kit today. Back in the day, AMT did the '64 Tempest convertible and '64 GTO hardtop; these molds became the '65 GTO kit (still available) with separate roof. They did a '64 F-85/Cutlass, which became a topless AWB funny car. And they did the '64 Chevelle, which became the '65, which became an AWB funny car, which finally ended up as the modified dirt tracker. So they did that roof right four times, and all we have available today is the '65 GTO separate top and the modified dirt tracker top. It is so very sad. 

I have a spare 65 GTO roof that either you or Bill can have if you want it. In case you both want it, whoever speaks up first gets it. :P

1 hour ago, Rodent said:

I have a spare 65 GTO roof that either you or Bill can have if you want it. In case you both want it, whoever speaks up first gets it. :P

I'll take it! :D I'm sure I can use it on something!

Email me at SnakeACP45 at AOL dot com and I'll give you my address. 

Thanks! B)

7 hours ago, Rodent said:

Thanks for the offer Steve! I bought a '65 roof section a few months ago for a someday '66 Bonneville four door project. Instead, I think I'd end up using the roof from the Monogram '64 GTO and then try the '65 GTO roof on the Chevelle. That's failing I can reshape it without a lot of drama. Of course, the more I look at the Z-16, the more I see other areas that'll need to be worked on too. :huh:

Email coming at you Snake. 

One of my many stalled projects is making a Malibu SS L79 convertible out of the Z16 kit. If you strip the chrome from the rear panel, you can reshape it to look like the Malibu panel. The PE set has the part between the tail lamps and all the scripts you need. Half round  plastic makes the chrome molding around the perimeter. The hardest part was narrowing the rear seat and making the quarter trim panels. 

You could always build the one of one beige Z16 convertible of legend and lore.

• 4 years later...

Sorry, I have to revive this thread here because I was doing a little research about the kit differences between the revell chevelle and AMT 65 chevelle/station wagon and el camino as I was looking to build a replica of a specific car (pictured below) I was curious if the revell chevelle chassis would fit the AMT el camino since its much more detailed than the AMT..but the one thing stopping me from building it is that god awful AMT front end.  The points of the fenders on the AMT kit stick out way too far compared to the 1:1 and the spacing of the headlights and trim on the AMT grille is just goofy looking to me.
AMT-R2-1364-8.jpg.5364aa10cb69a1bfea081fbdeda7a7c3.jpg

rare-rides-the-1965-chevrolet-chevelle-malibu-ss-396-z16-2022-08-19_15-01-37_989596-1440x810.webp.e89ee721c770aa4b23fd25a1103620e4.webp

rare-rides-the-1965-chevrolet-chevelle-malibu-ss-396-z16-2022-08-19_15-24-48_865924-1440x828.webp.65385c7a288ce71bad158cbd6f900ca4.webp

AMT-R2-1364-7.jpg.b64b1b9b6c1970e699c1f3255f623b3d.jpg

IMO I could look past the roof issue as the first thing that would catch my eye would be the front end of the car..and overall the revell kit is much better looking, so I considered robbing the grille from the revell kit and sanding down the points of the fenders on the AMT but doesn't look like the grille fits too well becasue of the width difference, so might have to figure something else out.  I don't see where some people are saying older kits are more accurate..they all have their weird flaws here and there but overall new kits are way more detailed and better molded than the pre 80s era kits with chunky rear end housings molded into floor pans and innacurate engine parts etc.  

Anyways, here's the car I'd like to replicate Chuck Samuel's el camino, street raced around the chicago area and ran in the NMCA fastest street car shootout in the early 90s..believe it or not it was a low 9 second car..saw it at a few cruise nights when I was a kid, always had a thing for this car, love the fast ratty unassuming beaters.

chucksamuelelcamino5.jpg.34874572a34deb24bb1000cd9155fd9f.jpg

chucksamuelelcamino3.jpg.a9fbf5d912651c67cc63392ebde01e2c.jpg

Edited by keviiin86
  • Like 2

I can see the extra pointy look of the front fenders, but I don't see that as a show stopper. If they really bother you, you could reshape the fenders and grille ands via some filing, retouching the grille with a Molotow. If you want a correct, more accurate chassis (The Revell 65 is a Hardtop), I'd roll with either the AMT 68 or the Revell 66 El Camino or wagon.

• Like 3