Model Cars Magazine Forum

MPC 1978 Dodge Adventurer SE resto

I pulled this one out of a box recently. I am super excited that Round 2 will be rereleasing their Dodge longbed (Sweptline) Pickup, but that got me to thinking about this stalled project.

I thought back to how I would have acquired it and when this work was done. Undoubtedly, this was a former built up acquired some time in the 1990’s. This work is probably about 20 years old. It’s sort of a sin because it’s so close to the finish line.

CAB14A29-BD23-48E5-BF2C-2F1B3BE88DD8.jpeg

Now that I’m 20 years late on this, I want to try to work in some improvements. I want to use the engine from the AMT ‘71 Charger R/T, and maybe change the wheel choice (these are stock hubcaps from the old MPC Dodge Vans from about 1979-up). 

Also, the detailing in the interior isn’t quite right, and I want to work on the appearance of the grille a little. 

023C07EA-B8B7-4E04-B811-FB86634715A1.jpeg

4CCC4F7F-66EF-4C2D-9711-091C942896B9.jpeg

Also- I forgot to paint the tailgate and the front lower valence...I think I used plain old Testor’s sky blue, so hopefully I can get them to match. 

I painted the turn signal lenses in the grille white, probably to replicate the clear ones. My online sources indicate clear ones were used until about 2-1-78. 

I think the suspension is more or less Lil’ Red Express, making this a 2wd. I might try to knock the ride height down in the back a little, bit leave it with a slight rake; I seem to remember these had a slight rake from the factory (when unloaded). Also, in this pic, you can see that it’s all just barely hung together - I will try to get it all to line up better than this when I assemble it. 

175154A3-3A8C-4B44-B51D-CE285CD8F0BE.jpeg

Edited by CapSat 6

Now that I'm looking at the pics, I think the chrome foil on the upper trim spears has to be redone- I might not have used a very sharp knife on them when I did them way back when. They look fuzzy in closeup.

Also, the "DODGE" lettering in the grille is terrible. Part of that is because on the real trucks, these were inset, while on these grilles, they're raised. They are tough to paint with chrome reflections, etc. I'm SOOOO glad  ( ;) )that I have a modern digital camera that calls out all of these glaring errors, I just hope my eyes are up to making these corrections!!!

Oh yeah- and I need a driveshaft, and some side mirrors...  

Edited by CapSat 6

• 1 month later...
On ‎4‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 2:02 PM, 72 Charger said:

Any more progress on this lovely Dodge. Im in the process of making a crew cab one. If you decide to change the wheels please PM me as I would really like them for my project

Dave - great to hear from you! I might have an extra set of these somewhere...I will check overnight and see what I have. These are the same hubcaps that are available in the later Dodge Van kits (roughly 1979-1982), the latest reissue ("Bad Company") should have them, too.