[[Template core/front/global/utilitiesMenu does not exist. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]
Phildaupho

Deuce 3-W Coupe Replica - chopped & full fendered

This is a model that has been in the works for a very long time but will be completed it in the near future for Deuce Days in Scale this July and as a tribute to the 25th anniversary of the Rodder’s Journal. This deuce model was inspired by the first Rodder’s Journal poster. The actual car was built by Dave Simard’s East Coast Customs for Mike O’Neill. It was first featured in bare metal in the very first issue of the Rodder’s Journal 25 and then as completed in issue #8. Even though this Deuce was built over a quarter of a century ago, it still looks fresh.

I bought the Revell 3-Window Coupe kit as soon as it was released [can you believe it – over 20 years ago] in 1996. The box art car even looked a lot like the O’Neill Deuce albeit not chopped and having bumpers. I immediately chopped the top, started making a few other modifications and collecting necessary parts for the build. The body languished in the box until it was used to build a replica of one of the Deuce Days 2016 t-shirt Deuces.

I chopped another three window awhile back but chopped it a bit too much, so I used that body to build a curbside/slammer version of the bare steel car which I posted Under Glass

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/130885-the-rodders-journal-first-deuce-coupe/

This is what I have accomplished so far

BODY

Revell first issue 3-window coupe

The roof was chopped about a scale 2-1/2 inches

Door hinges removed to be replaced with the accurate ones from Replicas & Miniatures

I decided to open the passenger side door to show the interior like it was photographed in the magazine

Louvers opened up on stock hood sides

Replicas & Miniatures grill shell which has a double sided radiator

image.png.852e92e6ed816e95fbb2b38bbe575b0f.png

image.png.29572a6bc9ac29a94620f2f18ded6886.pngimage.png.f92b9a82ed27a730929962b9ff294489.png

INTERIOR

Seat modified from Revell 5-window coupe.  Door panels re-scribed with rolls & pleats

CHASSIS

Floor and fuel tank cut out of kit frame so I can photograph the rolling chassis like it was shown in the magazine

Cross tubing added

image.png.80e9b5378c7d4a73033fc409cbbf760c.png

FRONT SUSPENSION

Kit tube front axle converted to beam axle with sections from R/M 1/24 Deuce Roadster

image.png.eb98b6dd4100467cbdd140e4cee0c5bd.png

FRONT WHEELS & TIRES

Kit Torque-Thrusts wheels

Parts box Michelin tires

BACK WHEELS & TIRES

Kit Torque-Thrusts wheels – diameter slightly increased

Parts box BF Goodrich T/A Radials narrowed

I am looking forward to the weather warming up so I can get into painting.

Impressive work on the louvers, Phil. 

I'll be following this project.

TCB,

Adam

Looking forward to follow along. When I was a teen I chopped a Vicky. No idea what happened to it. Would love to attempt a chop again.

T

On ‎2019‎-‎03‎-‎12 at 2:03 PM, adamelvis said:

Impressive work on the louvers, Phil. 

I'll be following this project.

TCB,

Adam

On ‎2019‎-‎03‎-‎15 at 10:43 PM, Modelbuilder Mark said:

Ready to follow along...

On ‎2019‎-‎03‎-‎20 at 12:22 PM, U_ser_ID said:

Looking forward to follow along. When I was a teen I chopped a Vicky. No idea what happened to it. Would love to attempt a chop again.

Thanks guys - I hope to post an update soon.  I am going to first complete the interior and then the rolling chassis. Stay tuned.