Model Cars Magazine Forum

'60 Impala lowrider

geetee66

I'm currently in love with lowriders and bombs. There's something about the detail and the colours that fascinates me. 

I'm trying to improve my paint skills, so lowrider paint jobs are a great way to learn new techniques and get creative.

So I've got my supplies ready:

tamiya tape, new #11 blades, 4 different width line knives, 6 shades of glitter nail polish and 3 solid colours.

I'm going to freestyle my design. The horizontal surfaces will be patterned with shades of red with pinstripes in silver and the sides will be mica white with some subtle pinstripes in silver. The gold Daytons will either be stripped and painted red/white or red candy over the gold.

I'll try and post the steps of taping and painting, as I go.

image.jpg

I've been wanting to do some.lowriders for the same.reasons. The paint jobs are amazing and I want to improve my painting skills too. I tried one a year ago on a 65 Impala and it didn't turn out well for me but I am not deterred. I have a 41 Chevy pickup that is my ultimate goal. I'll be watching your process so lots of progress pictures, please.

Later-

Thanks for your interest, guys. I've done a couple before and I'm managing to make them slightly more complex, each time.

I recently did this 70 Impala. I'm hoping to improve on this.

3 hours ago, TarheelRick said:

OK you have my interest.  I am going to presume it is going to be multi-shades of red.  Hope you show details of the masking/painting process.

2 hours ago, Modlbldr said:

I've been wanting to do some.lowriders for the same.reasons. The paint jobs are amazing and I want to improve my painting skills too. I tried one a year ago on a 65 Impala and it didn't turn out well for me but I am not deterred. I have a 41 Chevy pickup that is my ultimate goal. I'll be watching your process so lots of progress pictures, please.

Later-

1 hour ago, Rusty92 said:

Lowriders are some of the most beautiful cars around in my opinion. The level of detail is just off the charts. I look forward to seeing more. You picked a great car to do.

IMG_2981.JPG

• Like 1

Quite looking forward to watching this baby come together , as I love what you did with that '70 Impala . 

( I hope you're not married to the Daytons . At the risk of doing your crust in ; how about a set of period-correct wheels ? )

Keep up the great work !

1 hour ago, geetee66 said:

Thanks for your interest, guys. I've done a couple before and I'm managing to make them slightly more complex, each time.

I recently did this 70 Impala. I'm hoping to improve on this.

IMG_2981.JPG

All I can say is WOW.

15 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

Quite looking forward to watching this baby come together , as I love what you did with that '70 Impala . 

( I hope you're not married to the Daytons . At the risk of doing your crust in ; how about a set of period-correct wheels ? )

Keep up the great work !

Cheers John!

yeah, I've been wondering about wheels. I quite fancy painting the Daytons, but sovereigns or some Cragars might also look cool. I'm gonna dig around in my scrapyard and see if I can find any alternatives to the D's. I've got more of those modelhaus 60's thin whitewalls that I can use.

Laid down some tape for the silver pinstripes.

I'm having a think about how to proceed. I've been using 3M blue tape for the first time. It sticks well and allows for repositioning. Seems to be thinner and a bit stronger than Tamiya tape.

IMG_3191.JPG

IMG_3189.JPG

8 hours ago, geetee66 said:

Cheers John!

yeah, I've been wondering about wheels. I quite fancy painting the Daytons, but sovereigns or some Cragars might also look cool. I'm gonna dig around in my scrapyard and see if I can find any alternatives to the D's. I've got more of those modelhaus 60's thin whitewalls that I can use.

Very good then . I suppose that my aversion to Daytons on vintage lowriders is where my 'plea' is borne-out-of . To me , it's like seeing an otherwise period-piece that's got new(er) licence plates on it --- just ruins the overall look to me .

I'm definitely not telling you how to build your model , just voicing my (unsolicited) opinion .

Cheers !

5 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

Very good then . I suppose that my aversion to Daytons on vintage lowriders is where my 'plea' is borne-out-of . To me , it's like seeing an otherwise period-piece that's got new(er) licence plates on it --- just ruins the overall look to me .

I'm definitely not telling you how to build your model , just voicing my (unsolicited) opinion .

Cheers !

I totally get where you're coming from, if the car is stock with a factory colour/interior. But if it's had a custom paint job and maybe an interior makeover, then it's legit to ride on custom rims. Anyway, there's loads of factory fresh stock versions out there. Lowriders exist to be different, I reckon.

Old school boulevards or sovs would be a nice idea. Just gotta rummage through my parts box. These D's are difficult to find in the U.K.. I ended up buying mine from some cat in Korea.

3 hours ago, espo said:

I enjoy watching you layout the tape patterns.  

Thanks! It takes a bit of thought. I sit and stare at it for ages before I put tape on. 

Here's a bit more.

gotta decide which areas to mask to keep a silver base for red candy.

IMG_3199.JPG

6 hours ago, espo said:

Like you I have always admired the paint work in the Low Ridder community whether in scale or 1:1. 

Yes, it's the level of detail which captures me. Engraving, plating, chromed engines, the murals and patterns.... we just don't see them here in the U.K. 

I've been watching loads of lowrider videos on YouTube, for ideas. I've gotta go to one of their big shows, such as the one in Arizona. Maybe one day..