Model Cars Magazine Forum

'60 Impala lowrider

geetee66

That is really intricate looking. You mentioned Arizona as a point to visit and I'm sure they offer several Low Ridder gatherings and shows, but if you came all that far anyway if you have any time left you might want to see what is going on in Southern California. I lived in California, both south and north for over 30 years. Without any actual first hand knowledge of what all is going on there since I left 20+ years ago, but I remember seeing a lot of beautifully built cars in the Los Angeles area in the south and Salinas and Bakersfield in the north. You might try and see if any book stores in your area would have Low Ridder Magazine and I'm sure there are others also. This might provide you with some Web Sites to see what is happening. If you are able to visit this may also give you information on any shows in the areas that you're going to visit. Good luck on that and keep doing what you're doing on this build, it looks great. 

20 hours ago, bisc63 said:

Kinda diggin' how it's looking with just the two colors; red and silver play well together!

I have to admit, I was tempted to keep it like that. But I want to try and use a few more techniques.

Had a lot of trouble with my airbrush. It's played up ever since I used Vallejo acrylics in it. Spent most of my valuable bench time, cleaning the bloody thing. Could not get it to spray smoothly.

eventually, I managed to get a fade done. 

More tomorrow

IMG_3209.JPG

IMG_3211.JPG

• Like 1

13 hours ago, NothingAsFineAsaW9 said:

This is getting good thanks for showing the masking. 

Are you cutting the tape into those tiny strips if so what kinda Blade.

Or is the tape that thin ?.

Sorry for all the stupid questions. 

Thanks for looking. I hope this is of some use to you guys. I'm kinda feeling my way with this and I'm on a steep learning curve!

I'm using two (Stanley knife) blades taped together. I tried using dual blades in a modified x-acto knife, but I found that the blades didn't always retain their gap. The Stanley blades are stiffer and relatively easy to hold. As previously mentioned, I'm cutting Scotch 3M blue (waterproof) tape into about 1mm strips. It definitely holds a curve better than Tamiya tape.

If you use it to mask over a load of fine lines, reduce the tackiness of the tape by sticking it to either your forehead or inner forearm. Then the fine line won't come away when you remove the larger strips.

I began the fingerprint pattern tonight..

IMG_3215.JPG

• Like 1

Thanks GT66 that's where i was having my issues as the exacto blades would slide the slightest and ruin the tape i was cutting.

What you show above helps big time along with the type of tape.

Now it's like that song

Here i go Again 

Again thanks for taking the time to show us. 

Very much appreciated 

On 08/03/2019 at 8:49 AM, NothingAsFineAsaW9 said:

This is getting good thanks for showing the masking. 

Are you cutting the tape into those tiny strips if so what kinda Blade.

Or is the tape that thin ?.

Sorry for all the stupid questions. 

Thanks for looking. I hope this is of some use to you guys. I'm kinda feeling my way with this and I'm on a steep learning curve!

I'm using two (Stanley knife) blades taped together. I tried using dual blades in a modified x-acto knife, but I found that the blades didn't always retain their gap. The Stanley blades are stiffer and relatively easy to hold. As previously mentioned, I'm cutting Scotch 3M blue (waterproof) tape into about 1mm strips. It definitely holds a curve better than Tamiya tape.

If you use it to mask over a load of fine lines, reduce the tackiness of the tape by sticking it to either your forehead or inner forearm. Then the fine line won't come away when you remove the larger strips.

I began the fingerprint pattern tonight..

35 minutes ago, espo said:

Now you're just showing off with this tape work. Very intricate design. So you are applying each strip of tape and keeping them parallel and perfectly spaced apart ? 

That's right, David.

Each strip is put in place with tweezers and my fingertip. I stick about 12" of tape down, then cut it into strips. When I'm doing shorter lines, I cut the tape in half. That way you can keep your flow and don't have to stop to cut more tape.

oh, and on tighter radius curves, burnish the tape down, or it tries to lift. Also, when doing tight curves, make sure you're working on a shiny surface. Metallic paint needs sealing with clear before tape is applied, or the microscopic roughness of the surface will reduce the adhesion of the tape.

1 minute ago, geetee66 said:

That's right, David.

Each strip is put in place with tweezers and my fingertip. I stick about 12" of tape down, then cut it into strips. When I'm doing shorter lines, I cut the tape in half. That way you can keep your flow and don't have to stop to cut more tape.

oh, and on tighter radius curves, burnish the tape down, or it tries to lift. Also, when doing tight curves, make sure you're working on a shiny surface. Metallic paint needs sealing with clear before tape is applied, or the microscopic roughness of the surface will reduce the adhesion of the tape.

Amazing work here. I have learned a lot about taping things off for paint work watching what all you have done on these builds. 

Thanks guys 

just finished the fingerprint pattern. Going to have a cuppa and think about what colour to spray through this pattern. I'm considering silver, for a higher contrast, to make the background colour look like it's about a foot below the silver. ?

IMG_3217.JPG

• Like 1

2 hours ago, U_ser_ID said:

Amazing work! I was proud of my simple two tone 64...  Lol. Thanks for sharing and inspiring us to get better.

AJ

Cheers Anthony! I'm glad you like what I'm attempting here .

just finished painting the pattern with silver and red flake. The red flake particles didn't seem to come out of the airbrush and kinda collected in the bottom of the cup. As a result I got something more like a raspberry candy, which is fine, cos I can add flake to the topcoat if it isn't sparkly enough.

I've removed some more tape. The patterns are starting to gain clarity and I can see if it's anything like I imagined... glad to say it is ?

IMG_3222.JPG

IMG_3224.JPG

• Like 1

That is looking great Guy! Lots of inspiration here. Thanks. I may end up getting back on to my 65 Impala because of this. I had made a mistake in the pattern and rather than strip it I set it aside. Now I think I may be able to cover it with a darker color or another pattern to hide it. Thanks for posting your progress.

Later-

Thanks again for taking the time to leave such nice comments, guys. I really appreciate it.

got a lot done today. Changed my mind about what to do on top of the fins. I found some self adhesive border pattern (for greeting card hobbyists). Some careful placement rendered a nice lace-style pattern. I used the same in the centre line.

I added shading to the twirling ribbon and finally shot raspberry glitter nail polish over the remaining silver areas.

when the tape came off, I'm glad to say it looked as it did in my mind's eye ?

I was going to go for mica white with silver pinstripes on the sides, but I like the way the silver pinstripes in the red areas tie in with the sides. Kinda makes the whole design more cohesive, I reckon.

IMG_3225.JPG

IMG_3227.JPG

IMG_3228.JPG

IMG_3233.JPG

IMG_3235.JPG

IMG_3238.JPG

IMG_3241.JPG

7F518741-46F6-45B0-8B36-DBC78BB27ED7.jpg

IMG_3245.JPG

• Like 1