Model Cars Magazine Forum

Started my paint booth

I started my booth, I'm going to attach these 2 totes, use the lower one to put the filter in and the fan in the side and mount the power supply on the outside of it and use a 4" dryer vent to go out the window.

I'm looking at bilge fans now to decide which one to get, I'm leaning to a 4" 240 cfm one I saw....

IMG_2158.thumb.jpg.ea789e555cd5bfb22dff09dc7dbe1fc3.jpg

19 minutes ago, Miatatom said:

The 240 cfm may be a little too much for a small enclosure like yours. My booth is probably twice that size and I use a 170 cfm.

I thought that may be the case and I had planned to put the fan right in the box but I think I may put it at the discharge end to help combat that....

10 hours ago, RAT-T said:

ARE THESE AVAILABLE IN AC POWER? ALL I COULD FIND WAS 12 VOLTS

THANKS

I think just 12V but if you find an old PC power supply you can run it off of that, the put out 3V 5V and 12V  I believe it is....

12 hours ago, Miatatom said:

That's what I use.

Yeah I was checking them out when I started researching for this project and found out the yellow wires are all 12v...

l was thinking about using computer fans because I had some and they are noncumbustible too, I was just worried the cfm would’ve been to low

On 3/4/2019 at 8:04 AM, SCRWDRVR said:

I think just 12V but if you find an old PC power supply you can run it off of that, the put out 3V 5V and 12V  I believe it is....

COULD AN AC ADAPTER LIKE THIS BE USED?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-AC-110-240V-To-DC-12V-2A-Power-Supply-Adapter-Transformer-For-LED-Strip-US/152337854739?epid=2087798861&hash=item23780b3113:g:wfMAAOSwk1NbUtfL

1 hour ago, RAT-T said:

I'm not an electrician but I don't see any reason why not, as long as your out current is 12v I would think it would be fine as long as the watts are high enough for the fan

First paint job in the booth is done!!! Booth works great may do a few tweaks like some kind of light but pretty satisfied with the out come. Caution!!! please excuse the mess the other half of my basement is storage......

IMG_2175.thumb.jpg.e10dc381f6d8db48b5a22a7e93035629.jpg

IMG_2176.thumb.jpg.d68103a8488b45204dde972f46decc8e.jpg

IMG_2179.thumb.jpg.ba0731e55b4444a65156f4a3a0d01545.jpg

IMG_2177.thumb.jpg.95e075afaf91db3eafe3b43dbb86783a.jpg

IMG_2179.thumb.jpg.f76402ca32c6b9a23ef579131619471b.jpg

IMG_2182.thumb.jpg.55a6096cde81e8699ae0ae6351e35c52.jpg

My compliments on your "Rube Goldberg Engineering". That is a very old term a more modern one might be a reference to Mc Giver. Glad to see you used a vent to the outside. The actual spray booth part is larger than most commercial spry booths sold.    

37 minutes ago, espo said:

My compliments on your "Rube Goldberg Engineering". That is a very old term a more modern one might be a reference to Mc Giver. Glad to see you used a vent to the outside. The actual spray booth part is larger than most commercial spry booths sold.    

I'll take that as compliment also, thanks.... I'm a big fan of using stuff you already have when possible, The only expense I really had was the fan.....

2 minutes ago, SCRWDRVR said:

I'll take that as compliment also, thanks.... I'm a big fan of using stuff you already have when possible, The only expense I really had was the fan.....

Good because it was meant to be. I'm often hesitant to use expressions that my be from another time as it may now have a different meaning. 

22 minutes ago, espo said:

Good because it was meant to be. I'm often hesitant to use expressions that my be from another time as it may now have a different meaning. 

I’m 52 and had never heard the first one but my coworker knew it and he is 2 years younger than me and explained it to me lol... your very right though you never know from generation to generation what means what...

4 hours ago, SCRWDRVR said:

I’m 52 and had never heard the first one but my coworker knew it and he is 2 years younger than me and explained it to me lol... your very right though you never know from generation to generation what means what...

The Goldberg reference was one I grew up with. My father served in WW II and it was a common reference about creating what you needed with what every you had to work with. Some of the stories he would refer to, and I wouldn't think my father was involved except my mother verified, did not seem like the father that I knew. As they say that's war.    

47 minutes ago, espo said:

The Goldberg reference was one I grew up with. My father served in WW II and it was a common reference about creating what you needed with what every you had to work with. Some of the stories he would refer to, and I wouldn't think my father was involved except my mother verified, did not seem like the father that I knew. As they say that's war.    

I like the Goldberg reference so I’ll probably be using it now lol

That's pretty cool. I never considered a bottom exit system but from the looks of your setup, it would work better than the old rear exit systems. My version has a rear/upward exit through a small AC filter and a paint safe exhaust motor. My motor needs a clean up perhaps from paint clogging. I can't find that motor at Grainger's where I bought it originally. It all works great but it takes my motor a few seconds to start, which I take as a bad sign.

I actually built a small room in the garage which houses my paint area, fully insulated, has a 110 air conditioner for summer and my little silent compressor. I can be up and painting in under a minute, turn on 3 switches and plug in the paint bottle. The hard part is getting masking on a 2 tone so I can actually start painting. I have several that need the second color and I am dragging my feet.

If I ever need to reconstruct my painting area, I hope I can remember your construction, looks like an inexpensive and effective system.

45 minutes ago, Bill J said:

That's pretty cool. I never considered a bottom exit system but from the looks of your setup, it would work better than the old rear exit systems. My version has a rear/upward exit through a small AC filter and a paint safe exhaust motor. My motor needs a clean up perhaps from paint clogging. I can't find that motor at Grainger's where I bought it originally. It all works great but it takes my motor a few seconds to start, which I take as a bad sign.

I actually built a small room in the garage which houses my paint area, fully insulated, has a 110 air conditioner for summer and my little silent compressor. I can be up and painting in under a minute, turn on 3 switches and plug in the paint bottle. The hard part is getting masking on a 2 tone so I can actually start painting. I have several that need the second color and I am dragging my feet.

If I ever need to reconstruct my painting area, I hope I can remember your construction, looks like an inexpensive and effective system.

Thank you, years ago when I painted cars down draft booths were the way to go so it kind of stuck with me, works really well with the filter in the bottom like that I'm getting almost no over spray in the hose just fumes. The fan I ended up getting is a 270 CFM so the fan is 10 foot away from the box and still has good suction, I think I may move it a little closer though I think I want just a little more than I'm getting.

It was cheap the fan was 30 and I had most everything else already but totes are cheap...