Model Cars Magazine Forum

MPC Tom McEwen FED

It has a few newly tooled parts including the injector and scoop, but has a 426 engine and not the 392 as pictured on the box art and the info card included.  Still, many of the needed ingredients are here, particularly the decal sheet.  Round 2 can, and probably should, do more items like this.

I bought this kit recently. I must say, the box art, ( a photo of the real car blazing the hides ), is sure a selling point. Any front engine dragster from the 50s-60s gets my attention anyway,......but really Amigos, the era was dominated with the early 354/392 engine, as was McEwen's powered by. I'm not sure which former release this new kit was based on, ( I suspect the Ramchargers kit ), and just added the front airfoil, decal set, and Hilborn upright injector set-up to bring it closer to looking like Tom's rail. The engine included, a 426 Chrysler, is TOTALLY wrong though, regardless.   Still.....I wanted to do this up, so I bought a 3-D printed Hilborn injected 392 engine from Shapeways to rectify the sitch. This little printed engine is cool. I may have to aquire some MH Racemasters to replace the Goodyear slicks supplied as well, and there are a few various other details , but they're small, and changeable. It should be nice when I'm done. Here's the replacement engine from Shapeways….

3D Model specialties.png

Cool engine!!  On a semi related note,  I was looking at my MPC/Round 2 Kalitta Mustang FC today, and the body decals say M and H, and the slicks are pad printed “Goodyear.”

Back to McEwen, it would be nice if R2 reissued the Nitro Vette with McEwen English Leather decals.  

Edited by Chris in Berwyn

4 hours ago, PettyKW43 said:

Another source for the 392 is the Soapy Sales Funny Car Kit , not the best rendition of the engine but with little effort it can be made to look good.

Pretty sure that kit has a 426 also.  Other MPC funny cars that used that same chassis also had other cylinder heads and valve covers included (Blue Max Mustang had Boss Nine parts, Setzer Vega had Chevy big-block parts).  The MPC Winged Express fuel altered does have a decent 392 though.

Good input.  

Mark's comment on the MPC Wildy Willie Borsch Fuel Alternated is spot on.  The same basic engine (with different blower hat and valve covers IIFC)

in MPC"s Bantam Blast kit is maybe even better.  It has working butterflies IIRC.    

TIM 

On ‎3‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 6:50 PM, Mark said:

Pretty sure that kit has a 426 also.  Other MPC funny cars that used that same chassis also had other cylinder heads and valve covers included (Blue Max Mustang had Boss Nine parts, Setzer Vega had Chevy big-block parts).  The MPC Winged Express fuel altered does have a decent 392 though.

What about the Miss Deal kit?

• 8 months later...
On 3/4/2019 at 3:42 PM, tim boyd said:

Guys.....the AMT Piranha kit has a great first gen/392 Hemi …..  that would be even better if built with the rubber blower drive belt and pulleys from the AMT "Checkered Flag" tool Garlits kit..  TIM 

I've never had a kit with a rubber belt that didn't fail eventually. I replace the belts with a few thicknesses of electrical tape

23 hours ago, samdiego said:

I've never had a kit with a rubber belt that didn't fail eventually. I replace the belts with a few thicknesses of electrical tape

I've got a model I built in 1969 with the AMT Garlits kit rubber belt and it still is there - and works - to this day!  TIM