Model Cars Magazine Forum

Eliminator II

TooOld

With the reissue coming out later this year I thought I'd dig these out and do something with them . The one on the right is 100% complete and will be built OOB for sentimental reasons , the left one is a parts kit with a good body so I'll use it for the Eliminator II .

One note : This won't be a technically correct build , just something to put on my shelf . I do want it to basically look right so we'll see how it goes .

Over the weekend I started a chassis and engine from the Cougar Funny Car kit . Got some painting done , modified the kit intake from a Chevy to an FE style , and found some stacks in my parts box .

I had planned on using the hood and grille from the stock Cyclone kit and stretching the wheelbase , but after comparing the bodies I've decided to just use the stock one . I've read lot's of complaints about the stock body but I don't see it and using it saves a lot of body work .

Move the rear springs to the rear notches in the frame and the wheelbase now matches the stock 116" of the body . Since the frame is already painted this is much easier than stretching it .

The trailing arms and driveshaft will need to be lengthened , then I can finish up the chassis and the engine .  The  body will be shaved , vent windows and drip rails removed , and the seams filled .  I'm  using the Hillborn injection instead of the blown version so I don't have to cut the opening in the windshield .

• Like 1

Looks like you're off to a great start, but now don't you still basically have a pair of complete AMT AWB Comets? :unsure::DB)

Just the other day I ran across (in the Match Race Madness book) a pic of an actual steel-bodied, flip-front altered wheelbase '67 Comet. Looks to be a brown or bronze color with gold trim. Was run by the Gustin Brothers, Roger Gustin driving. Google search only turned up one other picture but you might be able to find others: 

thumbnail.php?i=1419526793_409763_406495

I think I'll build one of the AMT kits as something "kinda sorta" inspired by this. At least we know there was at least one. B)

I haven't had much bench time and am losing interest in this one pretty quick but I did make some progress so I'll keep pluggin' along .  Still a few details to add but it's close enough to  start fitting the body .

Wasn't planning on using the inner panels from the Cougar kit but by adding to the width the panel actually fits pretty good . It probably isn't correct but sure does save a bunch of time . Can't say the same about the grille/headlights as the fit to the body is terrible ! In these photos I've already done considerable work to the openings in the body and it still doesn't fit .

• Like 1

On 3/11/2019 at 9:41 AM, geemoney said:

On 3/11/2019 at 9:41 AM, geemoney said:

re- issue the CHEVELLE!!!

The Chevelle has been the Modified Stocker dirt track car since the early Seventies.  No going back with that one...

Back to my build . . . 

The chassis is finished , it's built out-of-box with just a few adjustments .  I can understand why you guys complain so much about the kits available to build an accurate car . The only thing correct about this is that it's a Logghe chassis , the rest is not even close to the Dyno Don Cyclone or Cougar Funny Cars .  Like I said this is just to go on my shelf so I'm happy with it . :)

And the body is about ready for paint .  I did finally get the grille/headlights to fit ,  the headlight covers will be installed after paint .

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sledsel said:

Those guys had some "big ones" to drive those for sure.

The build is looking great. Accurate or not, they are all cool kits.

those guys had balls of steel back then. they raced on a unprepped track with pretty much no safety equipment. the tires were junk they used back then. look at willie borsh in this pic going through the traps at over 200mph car is creeping over to the edge and check out the left rear tire about to break the bead. willie never lifted he stayed in it and ran it out the back door. 

S4w-HotRods123-TheWingedExpressIn19.jpg

16 minutes ago, Scott8950 said:

those guys had balls of steel back then. they raced on a unprepped track with pretty much no safety equipment. the tires were junk they used back then. look at willie borsh in this pic going through the traps at over 200mph car is creeping over to the edge and check out the left rear tire about to break the bead. willie never lifted he stayed in it and ran it out the back door. 

And to really give you nightmares, it's rumored/alleged that the chassis of this car was made out of exhaust tubing. :blink:

4 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

And to really give you nightmares, it's rumored/alleged that the chassis of this car was made out of exhaust tubing. :blink:

I've heard that rumor before. i wouldn't be surprised because that was actually fairly common back then.

1 hour ago, Scott8950 said:

You forgot to mention the front tires are not even on the ground.....

57 minutes ago, Sledsel said:

You forgot to mention the front tires are not even on the ground.....

could you imagine wheelin that thing at the moment in time? not for the faint of heart i guarantee.

alot of people don't know willie borsh had narcolepsy. he would fall asleep in the staging lanes strapped in the car. they would bump the car with the push truck to wake him up.