Model Cars Magazine Forum

I must be getting lazy in my old age as this is a curbside kit.  This is the Italeri Ford Transit Mk2 and the year is unknown so it could be anywhere from 1977-1986.  Having watch a TV series on Velocity now Motor Trend called For The Love Of Cars and presented by Philip Glenister and Ant Anstead, I became enamored with the van when Ant restored a Ford Transit Mk1.  The Mk2 is a restyling of the Mk1 with no mechanical changes other than a small horsepower boost.  I may use this van in the Club Challenge for the Classic Plastic Model Exhibition instead of my '61 Impala SS 409.  My paint for this build will be Tamiya TS-10 French Blue and Tamiya TS-26 Pure White.

More to come...

Transit01.JPG

Transit02.JPG

Transit03.JPG

I love this kit. Back in the 80s, we were visiting family in England, and I picked up the original molded in red ESCI kit. The one in the Ford promo box. Built it, thought it was awesome. One trip off the shelf too many, and it ended up in the bin. 

I have since bought four of the ESCI kits in all the available colours, and have two of these Italeri reissues. I have no idea why I'm so obsessed with this kit, but I am. :)

Looking forward to seeing yours!

There is something I truly like about this kit.  Must be the subject matter as I now want to get other versions of this kit.  And, build them with right-hand drive!  Plus, I want to get the Range Rover Police car.  And, I still can't get over the size of the kit box!  It's huge for a curbside!  I have built a couple of vans over the years, but I have never been as excited about building one like I am with this kit!

This body is nicely molded, but has a couple of small issues with it.  There is a small sink hole on the right rear of the body.  A couple of small mold lines under the windshield which are now gone.  And, three ejector pin marks near the windshield inside the body.  Once these are taken care of, I'll wash the body and get it into a coat of primer.

More to come...

Transit04.JPG

Transit05.JPG

Transit06.JPG

I decided to work on assembling the chassis this afternoon.  Fairly easy to put together and some parts didn't need glue.  I happen to like the wheels better without the wheel covers, so now I have to find something to use as a wheelcap in the center of the wheel.

More to come...

Transit07.JPG

Transit08.JPG

Transit09.JPG

Last night, I sat down with a circle templet, a mechanical pencil and a piece of sheet styrene and drew out four circles at 9/64 inch diameter.  I cut them out with a chisel point knife, glued them to the wheel openings and painted them with Model Master Aluminium Metalizer and a brush.  Easy and done!

More to come...

Transit10.JPG

Transit11.JPG

Transit12.JPG

I spent some time on the Transit yesterday at my "Play Date" with some of my fellow Club members.  I got the seats painted and dash decaled and painted and I glued the floor pan onto the chassis.  I need to do some touchups on the seats and on the interior pan.

More to come...

Transit13.JPG

Transit14.JPG

Transit15.JPG

I finally decided to pull the tape off the Transit after another painting session and did a mockup with the chassis.  I still need to add decals and paint some trim.  The side doors came out fairly well.  Some cleanup and installation.  The rear door doesn't like me as I had issues paint it.  Some cleanup and polishing should make it look better.

More to come...

Transit19.JPG

Transit20.JPG

Transit21.JPG

More progress on the Ford Transit this afternoon.  I got the body mounted to the chassis and installed the grille and bumpers.  I need to clean up the windshield trim after I had messed it up earlier.  The front doors are complete and now I have to install them which might be a bit tricky.

More to come...

Transit22.JPG

Transit23.JPG

Transit24.JPG