Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT GMC/Chevy van Question.....

Has anyone made the interior panels when they built a copy of either the GMC/Chevy Van? I'm asking because I just got an Original A-Tean GMC van , and I want to have a good looking  Interior in it, I plan on using evergreen sheet's but which thickness would be best?

Edited by ranma

I am in the process of doing that very thing right now on the Rescue van. I am installing a camper interior in it and needed some interior walls. I also made some door panels for the front doors as there are none in the kit. I just used sheet styrene and some ribs I cut out to make the walls flat. 

In the real world the walls would not be flat, but have a curve to them, but I am doing a camper interior and the flat walls work better for that. I am also doing opening doors on the rear and side, so that adds to the complexity, but you don't have to do that.

On 3/5/2019 at 7:04 PM, ranma said:

Has anyone made the interior panels when they built a copy of either the GMC/Chevy Van? I'm asking because I just got an Original A-Tean GMC van , and I want to have a good looking  Interior in it, I plan on using evergreen sheet's but which thickness would be 

I think 1MM will be ok.

I'd go with the 0.010, thin.  Back in the day, those interiors had to be thin for weight and it wasn't uncommon to see indents where they were attached to the ribs.  Most were covered with shag rug anyway and with blacklights etc no one cared.