Model Cars Magazine Forum

Airbrush 101 the Basics

Airbrush 101 The Basics:
There are generally two types of airbrushes. Single action and double action. Single action is like a spray can, you push the trigger down and get air and fluid combined. With a double action you push the  trigger down and get air. To get fluid you move the trigger toward the back (rear) of the airbrush.

Double Action airbrushes come in three types. Bottom feed, side feed and gravity feed. Bottom feed siphons fluid up into the airbrush, side feed pulls from the center and gravity works on, well...gravity. These should be easy enough to understand. I believe that most, if not all, single action are bottom (siphon) feed.

I would recommend buying the best airbrush you can afford first. It will save you time and money. You will need to determine which type is best for you, single or double action. If double action then Bottom Feed, Side Feed or Gravity Feed. Single action is easier to learn and use but you can do more things with double action.

How do you know which brand to buy? If at all possible find a store or shop that may have ones that are demonstrators. Holding and “FAUX” airbrushing will give you an idea of how they feel to you. If you know someone who has one, sample theirs. If none of the above, read reviews. I would suggest buying one of the name brands, Paasche, Badger, Iwata, Binks etc. Replacement parts are usually plentiful. New ones should have a warranty. Sure the Knock-offs are less expensive. It may be because they are cheap. It is better to spend a bit more to get more.

New or used? I would say new if you know nothing about them. I would suggest buying a used one you can see in person. Craigslist for example.

If you want to go eBay be careful. Try to find a seller who knows what they are selling. Many sellers there now find airbrushes at garage/yard/estate sales and have no idea how they work, or, if what they have does work (look for the word untested). If the listing description says “see pics to determine condition” avoid it. Chances are the seller knows less about airbrushes than you do. Used can get you a better airbrush for less, you need to know what you are looking at.

There are also (pistol) trigger style airbrushes. I do not have one, yet, so I can not comment on how much of a difference they are to use. It would be one that I would have to hold before I’d make a purchase.

I have three words of advice for when you do get your airbrush. Practice, practice, practice.

A couple examples of a Single Action Airbrush. Paasche H is in front. Badger 200 is on left and Binks Wren "A" on right. There are quite a few airbrushes available that use the same Tip/Needle design as the Paasche and Binks. To adjust the spray pattern you turn the tip in or out depending on what you need. The Badger is a bit unique as it has a needle like a double action. To adjust this spray pattern you turn the inner knob on the rear clockwise or counter-clock wise. This moves the needle in and out.

AB single action.jpg

A few examples of a Double Action Siphon Feed Airbrush. Front to Back: Paasche VL, Sears (Badger) 150 and a Vega 2000.  One thing to notice here is the shape of the shell (body). The Paasche is what I would call "pudgy". The Badger and Vega are more streamlined (smaller in diameter) with the Vega being a bit longer in length than the Badger.

AB double action.jpg

A few examples of a double action, side feed airbrush. In front is a vintage Thayer and Chandler model A, On the left is a vintage Paasche V, on the extreme right is a Badger 100XF and the center rear is a Badger 100XFL, left handed model. To my knowledge the T&C only uses a fine needle/nozzle combination. The Paasche V can be changed to either fine or medium needle/nozzles and the Badger 100 XF will accept all three combinations, fine, medium and heavy needle/nozzles.

AB side feed.jpg

Here is one with a slight twist. It is a Snap-on (Badger) 360. It is both siphon feed and gravity feed. You rotate the head piece (twist it  :P see what I did there?) for either siphon or gravity feed. It is described by Badger as being an all in one in that it will spray a fine line and also do a wide pattern. The one I purchased used needs a new tip. I plan to order some Badger parts with new tips as part of my order. 'Til then I have not been able to really test it yet.

I read "Don's Airbrush Tips" on this model. He and another 360 owner both made larger "bowls" for the gravity feed. It is rather small. I am looking for a piece of stainless in the correct size but I've also thought that the glass from an e-cigarette may work. I will be experimenting.

Don's review: https://sites.google.com/site/donsairbrushtips/badger-360

Thank you for sharing your trigger style 935k3.

snap360 001.jpg

snap360 002.jpg

Edited by DPNM

• 2 weeks later...

I was grouping together some of my airbrush extras and came across this 1/4 oz color cup that I can't identify. Something in the back of my mind tells me that at one time I had an airbrush that this cup belongs to. I just don't remember what it fits.

It has a steep angle to it.

The cup in question is the one in the back. Badger 150 cup on left, Paasche VL cup on right (both of which have pretty much the same angle).

If anyone knows what airbrush uses this style cup I sure would appreciate knowing.

mystery cup.jpg

• 5 months later...
On 3/7/2019 at 8:20 PM, DPNM said:

A couple examples of a Single Action Airbrush. Paasche H is in front. Badger 200 is on left and Binks Wren "A" on right. There are quite a few airbrushes available that use the same Tip/Needle design as the Paasche and Binks. To adjust the spray pattern you turn the tip in or out depending on what you need. The Badger is a bit unique as it has a needle like a double action. To adjust this spray pattern you turn the inner knob on the rear clockwise or counter-clock wise. This moves the needle in and out.

AB single action.jpg

I have the same Binks & Paasche airbrushes.For general painting I use the Binks,for more detailed stuff I use the Paasche.

Here's my Airbrush 101 question.   What do I think MM acrylics with?  I tried lacquer thinner - just clumps up.  I have a little bit of MM acrylic thinner - a little better.   What would be best to thin for airbrushing?  I've been using an airbrush for 30 years but never had good results with acrylics.   I've owned and used the same Paasche VLS since 1991.   Everything has been replaced but the body over time.  And I am still learning how to use this thing to it's fullest.   I use a LOT of MM acrylics for interiors and would love to figure out how to thin the acrylic for airbrushing.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/30/2019 at 6:34 AM, randyc said:

Here's my Airbrush 101 question.   What do I think MM acrylics with?  I tried lacquer thinner - just clumps up.  I have a little bit of MM acrylic thinner - a little better.   What would be best to thin for airbrushing?  I've been using an airbrush for 30 years but never had good results with acrylics.   I've owned and used the same Paasche VLS since 1991.   Everything has been replaced but the body over time.  And I am still learning how to use this thing to it's fullest.   I use a LOT of MM acrylics for interiors and would love to figure out how to thin the acrylic for airbrushing.

I've heard/seen that a lot of guys use cheap windshield washer fluid. Seems like a good choice, because of its surfectant qualities.

1 hour ago, Straightliner59 said:

I've heard/seen that a lot of guys use cheap windshield washer fluid. Seems like a good choice, because of its surfectant qualities.

Yep heard that one too and I think I have some of that.  Will try it as well