Model Cars Magazine Forum

'78 Chevrolet El Camino Royal Knight

echoxrayniner

I've had this one finished for a while, just collecting dust again despite it all as I'm off on a short holiday taking a break from it all. I once saw one of those magazine ads for the El Camino Royal Knight from like, 1979 I think, in this gloriously dark metallic red with the bright red stripe treatment. Even though it was a '79, I took the next best available choice; the Revell/Monogram '78 El Camino, which I wanna say for the money is easily the best one to work with. I'd like a MPC one but yeah, too expensive and I hate chrome plated headlights. The only thing I royally ****ed up on was forgetting about the notch in the stripe design right after the doors when I designed the decal sheet, but ah well... The rest of it came through pretty well, even though the hood won't shut properly, the engine bay is barren and the interior is four slabs of flat-ness with over sized seats. Love me some Elcy's, I still got a '74 lying around to work on next.

1978elcaminoroyalknight-16.jpg
1978elcaminoroyalknight-2.jpg
1978elcaminoroyalknight-3.jpg
1978elcaminoroyalknight-12.jpg
1978elcaminoroyalknight-7.jpg
1978elcaminoroyalknight-11.jpg
1978elcaminoroyalknight-15.jpg

And the decal design for those interested(changed out the GT Radials for some General Grabber HPs, liked 'em more):
78elcaminoroyalknight.jpg

On 3/7/2019 at 5:35 PM, Can-Con said:

Looks really fine NJ. 

Do you do the decals in 1/25 to for the MPC kits too?  I'd like to do my '79 about the same but a darker burgundy. 

I could, I reckon a MPC '86 El Camino makes for a reasonable template to size them down to get 'em looking accurate. And thanks y'all!

• 1 year later...
On 10/19/2020 at 6:05 PM, camino man said:

Really nice job on the Royal Knight!  I used to have a blue one.  Do you offer these decals for sale (for Monogram kit)?

Also, what paint did you use on the model?

Thanks, Steve

I do, infact! And I believe the paint was some BMW color, cant remember the name for the life of me but I remember buying it specifically for a '05 X5 >.<