Model Cars Magazine Forum

Pennsylvania Hobby Shops

I'm going to be in Lancaster PA on a road trip to buy a new to me car. My trip will take me from Lancaster to the Ohio border and then back down to West Virginia. Any good shops in Pennsylvania that I should put on my route map?

Thanks,

Mike

The best LHS in my area is Hobby Express in the Lowe's Shopping Center on Rte. 228 in Cranberry Twp., just North of Pittsburgh.  They've got everything you could want in a Hobby Shop (Model kits, paints, glues, foils, plastruct, evergreen, photo-etched parts, display cases, etc.).  They have toys, train stuff, military models, planes, and more...  Bring a pocket full of $$$.

18 minutes ago, Ramfins59 said:

The best LHS in my area is Hobby Express in the Lowe's Shopping Center on Rte. 228 in Cranberry Twp., just North of Pittsburgh.  They've got everything you could want in a Hobby Shop (Model kits, paints, glues, foils, plastruct, evergreen, photo-etched parts, display cases, etc.).  They have toys, train stuff, military models, planes, and more...  Bring a pocket full of $$$.

Agreed!  That place is insane.... no clue how they keep that investment in inventory... we are talking floor to ceiling stacks of expensive R/C stuff as well. 

Its a hobby lovers dream, something for everyone!

18 minutes ago, Impalow said:

Agreed!  That place is insane.... no clue how they keep that investment in inventory... we are talking floor to ceiling stacks of expensive R/C stuff as well. 

Its a hobby lovers dream, something for everyone!

Yep, Hobby Express is a pretty good shop. They have a huge selection of supplies and a good kit selection, though they're priced pretty high. There's also Auto Models LLC in Greensburg right off I-76. He has a massive collection of car models with decent prices. The actual building itself is very barebones but the stock is amazing. It's where I bought my recently finished Ebbro McLaren kit. https://www.facebook.com/jeffhewlett59/

Edited by Turberticus

One I always visit when I'm in the area is the Strasburg Train Shop. The address I have for it is 226 Gap Rd, Strasburg, PA 17579. As the name implies, it is mostly a model RR shop, but I have seen a few 1/25 plastic models there, plus lots of 1/43 and some 1/24 diecast. Some of their diecast is customized for local agencies - I have seen Strasburg PD cars in 1/24, and a 1/43 Ford Transit Van marked for a local restaurant chain called Isaac's (more on that in a bit). There is a model RR museum in the same strip mall along with one of the aforementioned Isaac's restaurants, and Strasburg RR is just down the road,. If you're into railroads at all, it is worth a visit. Strasburg is maybe a 5-10 minute drive from Lancaster.

Isaac's is a restaurant chain in SE PA; they have several stores in the region. I've never been disappointed with the meals at any of them. I think they are definitely worth a stop: https://www.isaacsrestaurants.com/ . No affiliation, just a happy customer.

Edited by SSNJim