Model Cars Magazine Forum
Bill J

Kit Wanted GT40 Fujimi

Looking for the Fujimi kit of the 1966 Daytona 24 hour winner #98. Not interested in the Revell version, I need the corrected Fujimi kit. Let me know what you have and perhaps we can work out a deal. Thank you.

What is incorrect in the Revell version?

This is the Revell one.  Perhaps it does not have the fender hump.

IMG_4068.JPG

Posted (edited)

I saw the one on ebay, I will try to get in a bid before it ends.

There may or may nor be a fender hump on the Fujimi kit, but for sure they changed the nose hatch divider. Instead of the single vane in the center there should be a shaped, smooth "T" shaped divider in the radiator exit vent hole. Check some 1:1 pics of the car and you can see the difference. The other thing the Fujimi kit has are the fender flares for the rear, I need some of those to replicate a '67 version of the MKII. They also corrected the decals, the side stripe should be blue and not black like in the Revell kit.

Thanks for the reply's guys. Much appreciated.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&id=20471FD4B3561E5243C5C026CDC12211309F03D2&thid=OIP.roNSh7-RQ-v5_JMOhiPQkwHaFB&mediaurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.dailysportscar.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2016%2F01%2FFord-Daytona-1966-01.jpg&exph=394&expw=580&q=gt40+daytona+1966&selectedindex=34&ajaxhist=0&vt=0&eim=1,2,6

Edited by Bill J

If you want to build the '67 car there are versions of that style in the Fujimi GT40 line. 

Boxart Ford GT40 Mk.II '67 Daytona 12139 FujimiBoxart Ford GT40 Mk.II '67 Daytona 12148 FujimiBoxart Ford GT40 Mk.II '67 Daytona 12147 Fujimi

Thanks JC. I knew about the 67 kits. I am looking to build the Miles/Ruby '66 car and since I have some more GT40 kits (none are the '67), if I had the fender flares I could add them to one of my kits and make a '67 car. I have some decals for the Gurney #3 "mercury".

I am still looking. There is a model swap meet the end of the month and our annual contest/swap meet is early April also. I might get lucky.

Posted (edited)

Bill, not sure if the side stripe color has been changed as the full decal sheet isn't shown in these photos.  The hood air outlet splitter is changed but does not appear to be accurate however.

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10028254

10028254z4.jpg[Close] Ford GT40 MkII 66 Daytona 24H Winner (Model Car) Contents4

Edited by afx

Thanks again JC. The Fujimi boxed kit does include some parts that make things more accurate. I do know the 1:1 car had a different splitter in the radiator outlet and they include the hump for the right front fender. I have seen that front air splitter scratched very accurately, so that may be my option too, I could probably use a pill bottle lid to make the fender hump and the only limits are a decal sheet for the rest of the build. I do have plenty of projects to keep me occupied, so I may just keep this one in mind when surfing eBay and the local swap meets.

Purely by chance I came across these two photos of the rear end of #98.  I had not seen these before.

5c880515ce8e6_MilesRubyFordMkII66Daytona(1).jpg.506c8b36273ccb735d924a81306aae01.jpg5c8805dc367d0_amettresurDDEFordMKIIDaytona66Miles-Ruby3.jpg.4262a67ecd697b7f9202dad2f3ae4393.jpg

Thank you Gary, great photos. Always good to have lots of reference material, That picture verifies to me that the rear deck scoop was white and not clear like some MKII's.

Posted (edited)

Yes the splitter is unique to the early 66 MKIIs.   The Revell kit also has the rear scoops which are incorrect and no right front tire hump.

IMG_4208.PNG

IMG_4209.PNG

Edited by vamach1

On 3/12/2019 at 3:18 PM, Gramps46 said:

Purely by chance I came across these two photos of the rear end of #98.  I had not seen these before.

5c880515ce8e6_MilesRubyFordMkII66Daytona(1).jpg.506c8b36273ccb735d924a81306aae01.jpg5c8805dc367d0_amettresurDDEFordMKIIDaytona66Miles-Ruby3.jpg.4262a67ecd697b7f9202dad2f3ae4393.jpg

I'm confused.  Why does it have the Lemans suitcases?

Another rule back in those days was the Prototype class cars were considered GT class cars that had not been manufactured in sufficient quantity to qualify for GT class, So, all rules were essentially the same. Spare tire, luggage capacity, 2 seats, etc.

Posted (edited)

Here are two Revell kits with some mods to each.  Of course there rear scoops will be added to the #2 Sebring car.  I have decals to do different versions of the Daytona #98 car but between filling in the rear scoops, scratch build the front V shaped splitter and moving the fuel cap to the other side these have taken a couple of weeks just to get to this point.  They should be ready for paint soon and there will be a few mods to the interiors but noting radical.  I'm using these as practice as I have bough decals for every 66 Lemans Mark II along with the six kits (I built # 2 and #5 years ago) to complete the set.  Thankfully they are have the "suitcases" so I will not have to cut them out.

IMG_4218.JPG

Edited by vamach1

On 3/8/2019 at 9:53 PM, Bill J said:

I saw the one on ebay, I will try to get in a bid before it ends.

There may or may nor be a fender hump on the Fujimi kit, but for sure they changed the nose hatch divider. Instead of the single vane in the center there should be a shaped, smooth "T" shaped divider in the radiator exit vent hole. Check some 1:1 pics of the car and you can see the difference. The other thing the Fujimi kit has are the fender flares for the rear, I need some of those to replicate a '67 version of the MKII. They also corrected the decals, the side stripe should be blue and not black like in the Revell kit.

Thanks for the reply's guys. Much appreciated.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&id=20471FD4B3561E5243C5C026CDC12211309F03D2&thid=OIP.roNSh7-RQ-v5_JMOhiPQkwHaFB&mediaurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.dailysportscar.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2016%2F01%2FFord-Daytona-1966-01.jpg&exph=394&expw=580&q=gt40+daytona+1966&selectedindex=34&ajaxhist=0&vt=0&eim=1,2,6

Actually both kits got the stripes wrong. The stripes were blue and black. The thick stripe was blue, the two thin stripes were black.  Nobody has ever gotten this correct... until this week.  - Michael at Indycals.