Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell Jaguar XK SS 1:24 Wheel Repair

Funkychiken

So this kit has been in my built kit cabinet for a few years, and then I noticed this goo pouring out of the wheels.

it looks like the rubber is attacking the plastic, and the plastic pours out.

I didn't pay it any attention, but it just gets worst and worse.

So I took the wheel off & stripped them with brake fluid

IMG_8511.JPG

IMG_8513.JPG

Ive got the same kit and had the same issue in the box, the rubber turned the plastic to goo and a bunch of parts are useless now. I troll ebay once in a while for another one at a reasonable price to replace or use to bash with mine in the hopes of building it some day

On 3/10/2019 at 12:13 AM, 935k3 said:

Try covering the area of the wheel making contact with the tire with bare metal foil.

I might just try that Dale!

This is what they look like stripped and primed. I'm going to sand off the melted part and just rebuild like this!

20190105_162536.jpg

It may take some work but you could completely sand or cut away  the outermost ring that is damaged and replace it with the same sized ring removed from another parts box wheel. Almost like re-sleeving it. I think the idea of using BMF to protect the wheel from the tire is an idea worth trying. 

Later-

That really sucks, bud!, I had a Tokyo Muari Pantera that did that, and I very recently had to totally replace the wheels on Tina's Chevelle because of this. I seem to remember that I tried to repaint with automotive paint, but it didn't work. Then I tried Chrome foil, and that didn't work either. If it were me, I would either repair these, and resin cast them yourself, get new ones, and immediately cover them in foil, or buy a resin set....I think Historic Racing Miniatures makes a set, AFX would know for sure.

On 3/13/2019 at 10:49 AM, Modlbldr said:

It may take some work but you could completely sand or cut away  the outermost ring that is damaged and replace it with the same sized ring removed from another parts box wheel. Almost like re-sleeving it. I think the idea of using BMF to protect the wheel from the tire is an idea worth trying. 

Later-

On 3/15/2019 at 6:47 PM, Dann Tier said:

That really sucks, bud!, I had a Tokyo Muari Pantera that did that, and I very recently had to totally replace the wheels on Tina's Chevelle because of this. I seem to remember that I tried to repaint with automotive paint, but it didn't work. Then I tried Chrome foil, and that didn't work either. If it were me, I would either repair these, and resin cast them yourself, get new ones, and immediately cover them in foil, or buy a resin set....I think Historic Racing Miniatures makes a set, AFX would know for sure.

Thanks for the tips guys, I fixed them up as much as I could. I was intentinf on replacinf the outer rim with a small cut out of tube, but decided to just sand them flat, and have another go.

So here they are.

Alclad Aluminium for teh wheels & Alclad Chrome for the locking nuts

Wheels.jpg

Your project has inspired me to dig this one out.

72B16F03-D904-48EE-A669-8E01D1CE9B9C.thumb.jpeg.83ff890c09c94c4f76778e548ece9787.jpeg

I started converting this one to race form a number of years ago.

2D6712F4-F58F-47E6-AB24-EE1859349791.thumb.jpeg.a4f42dfc3c5d5bc4568632bfb77250f8.jpeg

A friend of mine pointed out that the slotcar model of this car is terribly incorrect. 

2837ABD5-7FE7-4AF6-B1F8-FFC8C730C45F.thumb.jpeg.4e1dfce775ce179104e273868f719dac.jpeg

I found this for sale at either the NNL East or the LIARS Challenge.

AD12F423-D498-427C-86E3-5382EEF5CBEB.thumb.jpeg.b01e9514917827821a5d1ebe3c181dd2.jpeg

Even the slotcar model’s wheels are incorrect.

On ‎3‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 6:28 PM, Funkychiken said:

Thanks for the tips guys, I fixed them up as much as I could. I was intentinf on replacinf the outer rim with a small cut out of tube, but decided to just sand them flat, and have another go.

So here they are.

Alclad Aluminium for teh wheels & Alclad Chrome for the locking nuts

Wheels.jpg

Fantastic save, bud!!!!...are you gonna add black to the tiny holes inbetween, or drill them out?

• 3 months later...

Unfortunately the plastic pins broke during disassembly so I have to just glue them back as best I could, it no longer rolls, but that's not an issue, it does only sit on 3 wheels now, but it looks a lot better. This took loads of time, but it's great to save an old build!

20190606_175804.jpg

20190606_175900.jpg

Edited by Funkychiken

72B16F03-D904-48EE-A669-8E01D1CE9B9C.jpeg

Ooooh! Great start Dominick and great minds think alike! :D 

P5070331.thumb.jpg.cdd14779949ecde3415b5e5a2f2a8df6.jpg

The wheels I think I might have got from Norm Veber along with the tires which I wanted a spare for the rear compartment. I also got the wood steering wheel from him............memory's a little hazy as I built this nearly 20 years ago. :huh:

Atin, I meant to comment on this earlier, but your Jag turned out really GREAT! Despite the wheel troubles at first, you pulled off what's not necessarily an easy kit to build. Those rims turned out really great!

I see you got your hood to fit well............that's an area that one needs to pay CONSTANT attention to as it can run into troubles as you get near the end building it. I've got a couple other of these kits besides the D Type I did. I'd probably build yet another green one as that color really suits this car.

On 6/29/2019 at 8:52 PM, Rider said:

Nice save, the rims look great. 

Scary thought knowing this can happen to parts in the box. Doesn't his mostly happen to kits from the 70's, or is it a concern for kits from the 80's as well? 

Mr Rider, it looks that way! The rubber on this kit is very corrosive!

On 6/29/2019 at 9:27 PM, MrObsessive said:

Atin, I meant to comment on this earlier, but your Jag turned out really GREAT! Despite the wheel troubles at first, you pulled off what's not necessarily an easy kit to build. Those rims turned out really great!

I see you got your hood to fit well............that's an area that one needs to pay CONSTANT attention to as it can run into troubles as you get near the end building it. I've got a couple other of these kits besides the D Type I did. I'd probably build yet another green one as that color really suits this car.

Agree, the food was fiddly, thanks for the comments!