Model Cars Magazine Forum

Big Milestone, big van: Movin' Out - OOB

Faust

When I started my model site, The Sprue Lagoon, I didn’t really know what it was going to be like, or how long I’d stay at it. As a result of the site, though, I’ve managed to make all kinds of new connections, and it’s really become an important part of how I model. I take great pride in finding and reviewing both interesting, and completely oddball, subjects. One thing I’ve found since I started it back in 2012 is that I now often think “Would that be a fun kit to review?” before I even think of “Would that be a fun kit to build?” I have changed the way I think to try and take what everybody out there in “internet land” might like to see or find interesting.

As it turns out, this has led me down a number of interesting roads, and continues to do so. Seven years after starting the website, I have reached a milestone I didn’t even think was possible – 250,000 hits. That’s big for a site just made by one dude and his model stash, I think. I wanted to have a bit of a celebration for it; do something special, something a bit bigger than usual.

Well, thankfully, I found just the thing! A couple of years ago, I managed to get my hands on what is still the biggest car kit in my inventory, a 1/16 Street Van called “Movin’ Out”. It is a wild, wild “big rig show van” in the most overdone tradition of both the late ‘70s Vannin’ craze, AND the late ‘70s taste for humungous pieces of styrene!

I thought that it would be a fitting thing to present at this milestone occasion; a big review of a big kit on a big day. Check it out at the link below.

Thanks, to everybody, who’s helped make my site successful, and has made my modelling far more fun and interesting than I’d have ever thought possible. Just like this van, you all rock!

https://adamrehorn.wordpress.com/revell-1-16-movin-out-big-rig-street-van-oob/

movin-out-oob-003.jpg?w=400

No, they're someone's replacement. 

One of the people who owned this before me pinched the real, appropriate tires and wheels. Amazingly, they left these replacements. They're wrong, and ugly, but at least they are likely the right size, and will do in a pinch. 

I'm currently trying to find the right wheels and tires for this beast. 

I wished they would reissue these big vans, the van movement is still going strong, ive got a custom 75 dodge sitting in my yard waiting for winter being over. they still have the van nationals, if you look up vans on facebook u wouldn't believe how many van sites and clubs are on facebook, Van-on

On 3/9/2019 at 10:05 PM, Faust said:

I'm currently trying to find the right wheels and tires for this beast. 

I believe the semi-soft Goodyear GT Radials were included with that kit, as well as many of Revell other 1/16 scale kits of that era- snap Camaro Z/28, Firebird, Porsche 928, etc. IIRC, they were included as front floatation tires in some of Revell's tractor (as in tractor-trailer) kits, too more recently. The only downfall is the material they used to mold the tires was prone to dry rotting, so finding a good set isn't easy. Keep scouring ebay, though...

Oh, that's unfortuate to hear that they're prone to dry-rot. I guess I shouldn't be too surprised, though. Since I've seen a bag of the tires on another website, and the bag says "Made in Japan" I should have expected that. Japanese tires are much softer than ours, but they don't hold up as well, I don't think. 

Maybe some reissue tires from a 1/16 General Lee or one of the big Firebirds then, really is the best way to go.