Model Cars Magazine Forum

Joe Weatherly Pontiac

bbowser

From Wikipedia:

Weatherly began racing cars in 1950. "Little Joe" won the first modified event that he entered. He won 49 of the 83 car races that he entered that season. In 1952 he won the NASCAR Modified National crown, and he again won 49 of 83 car races that he entered. Weatherly won 52 more races in 1953, and won the Modified National crown again.

Weatherly had partial interest in what would later be called Richmond International Raceway from 1955 to 1956.

In 1956 he moved into the NASCAR Grand National series (now Monster Energy Cup.) He drove a factory-sponsored Ford car[2] for Pete DePaolo Engineering. For the next two seasons, Weatherly drove for Holman Moody.[2]

In 1959, Weatherly recorded six top-five finishes and ten top-tens. He would narrowly lose the 1959 Hickory 250 to Junior Johnson; being outlapped twice before the race was concluded.

Weatherly won NASCAR's Most Popular Driver Award in 1961.

He won two consecutive championships in 1962 and 1963 for Bud Moore Engineering. Moore did not have enough resources to run the full season, so Weatherly frequently "bummed a ride".

Thanks to tips culled from here, I fitted the glass ahead of time.  I should have spent more time on the hood and grill however.  I'm pretty pleased with how it came out, Moebius kits are really fun and well detailed.  Comments welcome, thanks for looking!

DSCN4510.JPG

DSCN4503.JPG

DSCN4507.JPG

DSCN4511.JPG

DSCN4512.JPG

DSCN4513.JPG

DSCN4516.JPG

• 3 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...