Model Cars Magazine Forum

First detailed look -- Round 2's 1978 Dodge D100 LWB 4x2 Sweptside

tim boyd

Here's an advance look at this new kit from Round 2 that has prompted quite a bit of discussion on the various model message boards and forums.

Although the tool itself is well known, the components have never been released in this exact form, and it has been a long, long time (almost 40 years IIRC) since the 1972-1979 Dodge pickup kit has been marketed in the LWB Sweptside and 4x2 factory stock form. Not only that, it was never available until now as a showroom stock, 1978 model year, 4x2, and LWB Sweptside pickup box.   One example?  The newly tooled open wheel rims and hub caps shown here. 

sDSC 0419

Also of note - an all-new decal sheet, with a nod to our generation's leading model car kit historian, Mark Budniewski, all new box art, and a 1/25th scale dirt bike accessory.

DSC 0415

Take a look below for further details....and be sure to use the Roll View or Full View feature so you can see my comments and info, including number of unexpected surprises lurking in these parts trees, and a look back at the assembly manual from the first ever release of this tool, MPC's 1972 annual "Baja Brute" kit.  

The current forecast is that the kit is expected to be in stores and available by mail order in early April.

See the 38 images and captions at this link......

DSC 0450

Thanks for your interest....TIM

(Disclosure - this is a sample kit provided to me by Round 2 management without charge to me. From time to time and upon their request, I assist Round 2 with kit development elements, also at no charge to them.)

DSC 0386

Edited by tim boyd

Guys.....my guess is that a factory 4x4 version is quite likely a future possibility.   I love the "Macho" idea, and the Simon and Simon idea seems cool too!   

Round 2 is apparently getting  ton of interest in this new release......of course, best thing to do to see future spinoffs is to by the one on the shelf today (or in this case, a month from now), but then again you all already knew that.....

Thanks for the comments.....TIM 

57 minutes ago, MJStyline said:

I will certainly vote with my wallet to keep releases like this coming in the future- though for every new kit I purchase I must sell/trade 4-5 others to keep the pile manageable... 

Same here, although if you are like me, there are probably more than enough kits in your stash that won't get built so selling/trading them off is a  good thing.

While I greatly appreciate this issue, and I will have to get at least a couple copies of it, I do wish they had included the Suzuki dirt bike and the clear camper shell from the late 70s issues of this truck.

MPC-1-0412-2.jpg.3c238388aef341752b15836e75559271.jpg

Maybe they could see fit to include them in a 4x4 version in the future!

The only other thing I wish it included would be stock "Dodge" decals for the tailgate and stock graphics for the sides.

bced63f6e63c7f2a2bb0f9c284a86ea2.jpg.ca40f882fa18c53d2642ec4b5f27aa46.jpg

5c8b4908eda2d_dodgetgate.jpg.37ecfeb1ebd3277e0bff5b5b4ee7f8bf.jpg

5a2568a509b18_1978PowerWagon.jpg.b68d6ee9f118d5ded8e1aa7f72adc299.jpg.3d3af912067e7beb2d98bd69544f2186.jpg

However, I am happy to see this "blast from the past" return again!

P.S. I don't miss the 1/20 scale racing slicks posing for off road tires, though.

6 hours ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

The only other thing I wish it included would be stock "Dodge" decals for the tailgate and stock graphics for the sides.

bced63f6e63c7f2a2bb0f9c284a86ea2.jpg.ca40f882fa18c53d2642ec4b5f27aa46.jpg

5c8b4908eda2d_dodgetgate.jpg.37ecfeb1ebd3277e0bff5b5b4ee7f8bf.jpg

5a2568a509b18_1978PowerWagon.jpg.b68d6ee9f118d5ded8e1aa7f72adc299.jpg.3d3af912067e7beb2d98bd69544f2186.jpg

However, I am happy to see this "blast from the past" return again!

P.S. I don't miss the 1/20 scale racing slicks posing for off road tires, though.

There are three or four Dodge logos included for the tailgate, in different colors.  "Custom" scripts are included on the decal sheet also!

Let us hope this one sells well, and maybe just maybe with the right customer feedback they will (re-)tool a (the) 4x4 set-up and add period correct (adult toy) graphics.

Also if cost-effective a never released faux '79 annual can be created, the Powerwagon Macho truck (also used in the TV show Simon and Simon)

d31e53104a29b1ac5a559516d574e799.jpg

If the inserts of the cab from this release can be found (different cowl, hood and grille)

firefighter.png

Edited by Luc Janssens

16 minutes ago, Luc Janssens said:

If the inserts of the cab from this release can be found (different cowl, hood and grille)

firefighter.png

I bought the 79 and an 80 grill with the hood and cowl back about 3 years ago on EBay. I also have a short wheel base fleet side bed. Once the kits hit the shelves all the after market parts will be for sale again..

43 minutes ago, slusher said:

I bought the 79 and an 80 grill with the hood and cowl back about 3 years ago on EBay. I also have a short wheel base fleet side bed. Once the kits hit the shelves all the after market parts will be for sale again..

Also got the resin short bed, and several of the kits needed to make the conversion, still it would be nice to be able to just buy that kit ('79 sweptside 4x4)

everything has been tooled in the past, and "if available" it's just a matter of cobbling it all together (like it's that simple ;) )

5 hours ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

Oooo, great to know!!!

Thanks for that!

I'm hoping Hooby Lobby gets it soon.

For any of those of you who have joined this thread in progress, I posted a link to a full review (with 38 images and commentary) of the kit release in the first message in this thread. 

So you don't have to go back there to find it, here's the link....

Here's the decal sheet from that review....the "Dodge decals at the center right also include a white version left of the blue Dodge logo....

Round 2 has prioritized decals of instrument clusters for future releases from what I am told...TIM 

DSC 0414