Model Cars Magazine Forum

Widening curve rear fenders

I'm starting to build a 41 Willys drag car. I need to extended the rear fenders to accept the tires I have.

Should I cut the fenders off at the body and add a filler strip ?

This is what I'm trying to build. Or am I thinking too deep into it ?

I'm using tires/wheels I believe came from a Top Fuel car. 

The more I look at this picture the arc of the fender is opened up and the tire sits inside the fender lip.

willys_0369.jpg

Edited by R.D.F.

If you want to match that car, the tires are inside the fender at the top but not the front. You still need to radius the opening quite a bit even with the tub job and narrowed rear if you want that look and set of the wheels/tires within the fender line.

I would mock up everything and just see if you even have a problem before cutting the wheel wells. The picture depicts a car with wheel wells that have been enlarged .  Most race sanctioning bodies required the tires to be within the body or fenders. This can change according to the class the car is designed to run in. Since you intend to use the larger tires from the Dragster you may have to do a little surgery on the wheel opening. As I recall this kit already has the narrowed frame and differential. You may be abele to make some small adjustments with the rear end to get the larger tires on and stay within the fenders. Another option would be to flare the rear wheel openings slightly. Either way please keep use posted on your build.