Model Cars Magazine Forum

Your favorite manufacturer of 1/24 kits

Mine is absolutely Tamiya hands down. I find their selection of cars exactly what I am interested in. I sometimes venture into hasegawa, fujimi, it Aoshima but only if Tamiya does not cover the subject matter. If it’s not already obvious, I prefer imports. 

I think it’s more about who makes what I want. If Tamiya makes one, then that’s a win, but for my interests it’s probably Italeri or Protar, who made the classic Ferrari’s that are my favourite cars. In terms of quality and detail, if not quite engineering, Beemax/NuNu are close to Tamiya, but you do have to like classic rally cars or odd series modern race cars...

Best,

M.

Tamiya for fit and quality, as others have said. That also applies to their aircraft and military kits. Military modelers joke that you can just pour glue into a Tamiya box, shake it up and a perfectly-built model will fall out.

Monogram for 1/24 scale nostalgia.  I'm still looking for an original Yellow Jacket '30 Ford (but not at eBay prices!). Found an original '40 Ford pick-up not long ago.

Heller for variety, despite their wonky ideas like molding interior parts in clear plastic along with the glass.  Who else would have released a Mercedes 170 4-door sedan (and its companion panel truck); a Citroen Hotel Taxi; a Renault 4CV police car, etc. etc.

The long-gone ESCI also for variety and 1/24 weirdness. Not just one but TWO Mercedes 450SL African Rally cars;  Land Rovers and Range Rovers; Ford Transit van; Mercedes G-Wagen; and the Toyota BJ-44, released as a safari truck and as the totally bonkers Philippine Taxi (one of the few ESCI kits with chrome parts), etc.

I would say Tamiya is best for the Jaguar MK II and Morgan 4/4 in particular; Heller are best for unusual cars that are not available from other manufacturers, such as Talbot Lago, Delahaye and Citroen; Revell I do like also for the Rolls-Royce Silver Cloud II, which was also done by Minicraft and others. The best kit I have ever made has to be the Revell London Routemaster Bus kit, which at nearly 400 parts and comes in a box that is so large it will frighten the life out of you, is incredible value even at twice the price I paid. Other builds have included Aoshima, Italeri, Monogram, Emhar and SMER....Having said all that..... my favourite kit manufacturer is hard to choose, but I must say EMHAR is by far the best, as long as you like old Bedford trucks and don't mind paying quite a high price.

David

Sorry to report I buy based on subject first and foremost.

BUT,,,,,,,, I HIGHLY prefer to avoid 1/24th scale anything. Unless I cant get the subject I'm after in any other form . For example, I searched out and bought Johan 1970 Roadrunners and GTX kits as I really don't like the  Monogram versions of said car.

Therefor about the only 1.24th scale kits I own are the early 30s cars, They are all either  Monogram or Heller.

Historic Racing Miniatures and Accurate Miniatures. Limited availability now, but my kind of material...and the only kits I'd ever build pretty much as they come. Gunze, Tamiya and Fujimi close behind. Then Revellogram, AMT, Johan, Heller, SMER, Lindberg, etc. as source material for heavy mods/upgrades.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

When I look at my collection I can see that I have loads of AMT and US Revell kits (also quite a few MPC and Monogram and Moebius) but I also have Italeri and Esci and I have been collection Heller black box kits for about 15 years now. And then there is the Asian crowd, I have Tamiya, Fujimi, Hasegawa, Aoshima, Gunze/MR Hobby, Trumpeter and Grip and probably quite a few other manufacturers also.
I can't pick one favourite, they all have good kits and bad kits. Subject matter is what makes me want to buy most of the kits I got.