Model Cars Magazine Forum

Making an Ardun engine a regular flat Head

I think the Heads and Intake Manifold from any '49 thru '53 kit with a Flat Head would work. I've not done the conversion you are looking at, but think with a little work you could use any of the following. AMT: '49 &'50 Ford, and '53 Ford F-100 pickup. The AMT '50 Ford kit would also offer you the option of Aluminum heads and 3-2 intake. AMT also had a '49 Mercury kit that had some very nice Hot Rod parts for a Flat Head. I can't think of any Revell kits with the later Flat Head engine. If you want to built a really nice looking Flat Head look at Replicas & Miniature offerings. Their parts are very impressive quality and I have used them often and never been disappointed. 

1 minute ago, JollySipper said:

Thanks, David...... What about the Lindberg '53 Victoria?

I could be wrong, but I think you may find the lindberg 53 engine slightly smaller than your average 1:25 flathead. 

Most versions of the R/M 50 Ford pickup came with a stock flathead as an option. If your kit doesn't have those parts, perhaps post down in the wanted section? They are some of the nicest scale flathead parts offered in a kit, so adding parts from another kit would be a downgrade in my opinion(depending on which kit you're pulling from, most of the other modern tool R/M flatheads are nice as well)

1 hour ago, JollySipper said:

Hey, Fellas..... I was wondering what parts from what kits I would need to turn the Ardun engine in the '50 Ford Pickup into a regular Flat Head....

Thanks.... :)

I have several flatheads.I would tradeyou for the Ardun.

You need the heads, intake manifold (and carbs), as well as the EXHAUST manifolds.

Ardun HEADS have 4 exhaust ports and manifolds to match.

Flatheads have 3 exhaust ports IN THE BLOCK, and must also have manifolds to match. 

NOTE: When a flathead is converted to an OHV Ardun, the exhaust ports in the block are no longer used, and are capped.

3 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

You need the heads, intake manifold (and carbs), as well as the EXHAUST manifolds.

Ardun HEADS have 4 exhaust ports and manifolds to match.

Flatheads have 3 exhaust ports IN THE BLOCK, and must also have manifolds to match. 

NOTE: When a flathead is converted to an OHV Ardun, the exhaust ports in the block are no longer used, and are capped.

scot3.jpg.7101ae2a029d701a43bd636ec1a24d96.jpg

• Like 1

With a 1:1 ARDUN you would of course need to change intake manifolds, but I'm pretty sure the Ford pickup kit still uses a flathead intake with the ARDUN heads.  One more reason we need a correct ARDUN setup in 1/25 scale styrene...

I had not seen the 4x2 intake setup before. The '50 Ford pickup Arden Head engine has 3x2 carb setup. In real life the 4x2 setup might give you a little better fuel distribution and a little bit high gas bill. As I recall T.J. was wanting something along the lines of a stock Flat Head. And Mr. Metallic pointed out the Lindberg engine would be a little out of scale plus it has the Fordomatic transmission. 

4 hours ago, Mark said:

With a 1:1 ARDUN you would of course need to change intake manifolds, but I'm pretty sure the Ford pickup kit still uses a flathead intake with the ARDUN heads.  One more reason we need a correct ARDUN setup in 1/25 scale styrene...

The Revell Ardun engine has a reasonably correct 3X2 intake manifold. There's simply no way a flathead manifold will work on an Ardun, model or otherwise. 

The intake port layout on an Ardun is similar to a Chrysler hemi...four evenly spaced ports on each head.

6 hours ago, Jon Haigwood said:

How well would Ardun Heads work with a SCOT blower ?

Replicas and Miniatures makes the complete setup. I bought all he had back at the November show here.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

2 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

The Revell Ardun engine has a reasonably correct 3X2 intake manifold. There's simply no way a flathead manifold will work on an Ardun, model or otherwise. 

Replicas and Miniatures makes the complete setup. I bought all he had back at the November show here.

I bought the Scot blower kit from Norm last month and will be ordering the the Ardun setup and manifold soon.

1 minute ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Isn't that blower a little gem? One of the nicest resin parts I've ever seen. 

It has so many parts I did a search of images on how it is setup and found the a bunch like the  ones I posted above.  Seems like every month I send him another $50-$60 order LOL 

31 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

The intake port layout on an Ardun is similar to a Chrysler hemi...four evenly spaced ports on each head.

The first version of the custom pickup DOES include a flathead intake for the ARDUN conversion.  That kit also has headers with three pipes on each side.  The rocker covers also have one corner lopped off, to fit the flathead's upper radiator hoses.  

The second version (yellow truck on the box) does have different (better) head/rocker cover units, a different intake manifold with ports that extend to the heads, and headers with four pipes on each side.  I stand corrected on the intake, as I hadn't looked at the newer version prior to posting.

12 minutes ago, Mark said:

The first version of the custom pickup DOES include a flathead intake for the ARDUN conversion.  That kit also has headers with three pipes on each side.  The rocker covers also have one corner lopped off, to fit the flathead's upper radiator hoses.  

The second version (yellow truck on the box) does have different (better) head/rocker cover units, a different intake manifold with ports that extend to the heads, and headers with four pipes on each side.  I stand corrected on the intake, as I hadn't looked at the newer version prior to posting.

OK. I was aware of the incorrect exhausts on the early one (though I've never actually seen one), but not the incorrect intake manifold.

Good to know. Thanks.

How does one tell from the box which is which?

First version has the truck on the box with scallops, whitewalls, and flipper caps (forget the color, I just took the box downstairs).  It's a Monogram-branded kit, "Custom '50 Ford Pickup".  Second version is Revell 85-7203, yellow truck on the box, " '50 Ford F-1 Pickup 2 'n 1".  The second version includes some larger diameter custom wheels, but also still has the flipper caps and whitewalls.  The ARDUN heads in the second version aren't terrible, still I wish Revell had done a better one when they were still doing variations on the '32 Fords...

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe this is the first "Custom" version with the incorrect Ardun parts:

Image result for revell 50 ford pickup

And this is the 2nd "Custom" version with the more accurate Ardun parts

1950 Ford F1 PickUp Box 1

1950 Ford F1 PickUp Page 2

The original release has a very nice stock flathead IIRC

Image result for revell 1950 ford pickup

Edited by afx
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, JollySipper said:

What I'm gathering from what you guys have said, The heads, intake, and headers that I need are found in the older release of this kit with the panel "paint"..... and the newer release has the better Ardun parts......

I'm not 100% certain as my "earlier" pickup kit has been messed with a bit, but that issue does include a three-carb intake that is designed for a flathead application.  I believe the stock cylinder heads are included too (not everyone ran finned aluminum heads back in the day).  The headers in that kit are three-into-one on each side, but they attach to the ARDUN heads and not to the block as they should on a flathead.  The port spacing might not match up with the ports on the block also.

The newer (yellow) truck does have the better parts.  It may still have the flathead three-carb intake, but I'm not certain of that. 

4 hours ago, JollySipper said:

What I'm gathering from what you guys have said, The heads, intake, and headers that I need are found in the older release of this kit with the panel "paint"..... and the newer release has the better Ardun parts......

The above mentioned '50 Ford pickup that AFX mentioned is the one you want, the one with the blue truck on the box and it's molded in blue. I just pulled the one I had in my stash and the only engine is a stock Flat Head. While this is a great kit I think that the reason so many walked past it in the past was that it was a stock only kit. The kit has some nice White Wall tires and the White Walls are separate. This may or may not be a plus for you but I'm sure you have others Black Wall tires depending on what you're building. There is a nicely detailed single Exhaust system and. The engine has a separate Intake plus single Carb. and stock Oil Bath type Air Filter.  At the rear of the engine it has a well done Oil Filter and Fuel Pump. It would be easy to run lines to these if you want to go to that extent. The Distributer Head and Oil Filler are separate also along with the Generator and Fan.  The Exhaust Manifolds and Starter motor are also separate. Looking at this engine now I'm thinking that if someone was wanting a stock Flat Head this is the way top go.     

On ‎3‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 10:32 AM, espo said:

AMT: '49 &'50 Ford, and '53 Ford F-100 pickup. The AMT '50 Ford kit would also offer you the option of Aluminum heads and 3-2 intake.

What a coincidence. I'm messing with the '50 Ford flathead right now, and looked thru a bunch of other flatheads in the parts piles. 

One problem with the AMT '49 and '50 Ford flatheads: they have a big honking hole thru the block and oil pan for a metal axle.  I wondered if that had been changed in later issues, so I opened a '50 Ford "Millenium" kit from 2000. It still had the big hole.

Other than that the AMT '50 engine is well done for its age.  It has the oil-bath filter mounted on the left side of the engine and the oil filler tube on the front right. I want to put an Old School flathead in a '32 Ford. But I'm too cheap to rob a Monogram '50 pickup, and didn't want to fiddle with making engine mounts.  So I took the '32 flathead block and will use the aluminum heads etc. from the '50 engine on it. They fit with a little tweaking.  I want it to look like a Deuce with a later flathead swapped in, so that should work.