Model Cars Magazine Forum

What's wrong with this picture?

I was rooting around online for reference material when I came across this vintage advertisement. 

renault-dauphine1.jpg.a2a92da53c734e5a11e6bc5d8cf6eb26.jpg

Something on this ad struck me as odd! I wanted to know if anybody else here can spot it.

This ad has not been doctored or Photoshopped by me. I'm assuming this is how it was submitted 60 years ago.

I have some comments, but I'll wait until somebody sees what I see before I chime in.

Wow, that was fast!

Yeah, that jet is barreling straight into the runway. Landing gear up, nose dive first!

And the crowd is just waving goodbye, not a care in the world - Well, the lady at the stairs looks a LITTLE concerned. Maybe she's wondering where she'll have to go to pick them up.

But at least they have their "frisky" Renault to get them home, another day in Gay Paree.?

The entire photo was probably photoshopped or what ever it was called at the time. I would think they would have had the plan taking off although at that altitude the landing gear is up to soon. The lady at the Ramp looks as if she is saluting the plan as it leaves. The family in the Renault are waving good by to someone on the plane. Remember this is all before Homeland Security, but even then they wouldn't let someone get out in that area at an Air Port. Flying was a much bigger deal at that time and it wasn't cheap. The add was probably showing that the family is well off financially being able to have someone in the family flying but they still thought the Renault was a wise purchase even though they could afford a more expensive car.  They look so sophisticated, don't you just want to go buy a new Renault right now so you to could be like them ?? That was the nature of advertising in the early '60's.    

I bought a Dauphine Gordini with a burned exhaust valve once for $35. Had the head off in about 20 minutes, cut the exhaust seats, lapped the intakes, put in 4 new exhausts, and drove it home that afternoon. Not fast, but a perfectly adequate little car that routinely got over 30MPG, no matter how it was driven. The Gordini, was the "high-performance" version. I think it had something like 9 more horsepower than the base engine. Yippie-yi-yo-kayah. Feel them horses, pardner.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Here's a couple of other issues. It looks like they're waving bye.....plane seems to be going into a not so good take off in the wrong direction. Plus this looks like a 60's family. Mom, Dad, Brother and Sis. They all won't fit into a Renault.

I teach graphic design. I'm adding this one to my collection of bad ads.

Maybe I'm not seeing the same pic that some others seem to see.

The plane looks to be landing. Why else the balloons but as a Welcome Home?

The family is waving hello? Might be a French thing. The wave might be to show the Dad where they are parked.

The young person in white on the roof, it looks like a dress to me but the hair-style of the person looks male. Politically correct back then or maybe another French thing?

The lady at the bottom of the stairs looks to be covering her eyes from the inevitable.

1 hour ago, iBorg said:

I teach graphic design. I'm adding this one to my collection of bad ads.

Then you know exactly what happened, the client stood over the designers shoulder  as he was laying the ad out and said "No, no, Henri, point it down so it looks like it's landing. No buts, do it my way or you won't get paid you miserable swine." Then later the designer and his photo composite guy had a good laugh and started drinking early that day.

The jetliner is a drawing, not a photograph. I'd like to think it was bumped during pasteup...

I remember seeing a similar Dauphine in '68 when I was in third grade - it was sunk into someone's backyard as a plaything for their kids. And I'm building the Hubley one for some strange reason.:wacko:

14 hours ago, espo said:

The entire photo was probably photoshopped or what ever it was called at the time. I would think they would have had the plan taking off although at that altitude the landing gear is up to soon. The lady at the Ramp looks as if she is saluting the plan as it leaves. The family in the Renault are waving good by to someone on the plane. Remember this is all before Homeland Security, but even then they wouldn't let someone get out in that area at an Air Port. Flying was a much bigger deal at that time and it wasn't cheap. The add was probably showing that the family is well off financially being able to have someone in the family flying but they still thought the Renault was a wise purchase even though they could afford a more expensive car.  They look so sophisticated, don't you just want to go buy a new Renault right now so you to could be like them ?? That was the nature of advertising in the early '60's.    

They called it cut and paste which is were the term came from in Photoshop.  In graphic arts departments they would take multiple large format photos and cut them up and glue them back together.  I suspect that at the time the war was not that far behind and jets were pretty new so the guy pasting it together did the best he could.  Also without the gear down there was less intricate cutting involved.  He just got the angle wrong. 

1 hour ago, Pete J. said:

They called it cut and paste which is were the term came from in Photoshop.  In graphic arts departments they would take multiple large format photos and cut them up and glue them back together.  I suspect that at the time the war was not that far behind and jets were pretty new so the guy pasting it together did the best he could.  Also without the gear down there was less intricate cutting involved.  He just got the angle wrong. 

I think they got a lot wrong on this made up picture Even the setting is wrong as there are no Airport Buildings to be seen. Renault must have been on a real tight advertising budget at the time.  Thank you for your professional input.  

5 hours ago, espo said:

I think they got a lot wrong on this made up picture Even the setting is wrong as there are no Airport Buildings to be seen. Renault must have been on a real tight advertising budget at the time.  Thank you for your professional input.  

The buildings are there, the little girl is even hi-giving the control tower.  As an interesting sidebar, back then in addition to regular cut & paste, masking and compositing in camera we would also peel the emulsion layer off the paper backing and use a gelatin adhesive very similar to what is on model decals.  Done right you'd be hard pressed to tell what was changed without magnification. 

On 3/16/2019 at 2:18 PM, cowboy rich said:

I'm still trying to figure out how the car got thirsty?

To me "thirsty car" is a gas-guzzler (car that burns a lot of gasoline).  Not something I would advertise for a small family car.  Besides, that thing had such a small engine that I would never call it "thirsty".  Unless it had a big hole in the gas tank and leaked gas like a sieve. :D