Model Cars Magazine Forum

Brockway 457 Daycab

6 hours ago, DRIPTROIT 71 said:

Thanks for the kind words guys.

What do you guys think of my scratch built exhaust flex. I'm sure someone else has done it before, but I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.

IMG_4623.thumb.JPG.2ed9ba59b33353604cac35fece75526d.JPGIMG_4621.thumb.JPG.7de6e221f9e00cde4a80d9f3d496285f.JPG

Is that a bendy straw? 

19 hours ago, DRIPTROIT 71 said:

Thanks for the kind words guys.

What do you guys think of my scratch built exhaust flex. I'm sure someone else has done it before, but I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.

We love it and we want to know how. 

15 hours ago, Sam I Am said:

Is that a bendy straw? 

2 hours ago, landman said:

We love it and we want to know how. 

1 hour ago, redneckrigger said:

Fantastic work! What did you use for the exhaust flex pipe?

Thanks for the comments everyone. The flex pipe is not a bendy straw and actually isn't flexible. The exhaust from the manifold to the muffler is actually one piece of Evergreen styrene rod. I've been wanting to try this method to see if it would work for a while now and so I finally broke down and tried it.

I took Evergreen rod and with heat made my 90 degree bend. I then took a metric die that was loose enough on the rod to slightly cut a spiral pattern and ran the die down the rod almost to the 90 degree bend. I bent the flex portion using slight heat to fit the truck and the finished product greatly resembled the bends of a flex pipe. The clamp covers where the pattern stops and is made from aluminum can and styrene strips with Meng bolts.

Here is the left over section of rod before paint.

IMG_4624.thumb.JPG.cb6ae807f432bc14bb47be9d3242f22a.JPG

Here is what

• 3 weeks later...