Model Cars Magazine Forum

Damaged Porsche build Paris to Peking

Pete J.

Ok I decided to start my own thread on this one.  The story line needs some continuity to make any sense so here is it.  For those who saw the first post on the P to P group build already, sorry for the repeat.  

Post #1

Ok, I'm way behind most of you guys, but my Porsche hit a rock!!  Here is the storyline so far.  I was crossing a stream in western Mongolia and went into a water crossing a little to fast and hit a partially submerged rock.  It collapsed the left front suspension and bent up the lower valence pretty bad.  I will be getting a tow out of the stream by my other car the Alfa.  :blink::lol:  Ok, I have a long way to go, but at least I am started now.

fender.jpg

...and here is the front left tire damage!  Rock tore up the tire and damaged the rim!  

Of course there is a lot of mud and other weathering that has to go on.  I made a turned aluminum front part of the rim  to get the damage look I wanted.  I am debating making them for the other three tires just to be consistent.  The aluminum is much brighter than the plastic part. The scratches were cut with a file. 

TIRE THAT HIT THE ROCK.jpg

Domino theory in effect.  Of course you need to turn the other 3 wheels!  Even after you weather, I'm sure the shine difference will still be evident.  Sorry, been there done that.  (reminds me, haven't touched my Paris-Dakar 959, so you are making more progress than me)

Not that it looks like you need any inspiration. Lately I have been getting watching Rally racing on YTube and they have pictures of some pretty bad offs. I think you are doing a great job beating up this poor Porsche, just thought you might get some ideas there is all.    

13 hours ago, Pete J. said:

...and here is the front left tire damage!  Rock tore up the tire and damaged the rim!  

Of course there is a lot of mud and other weathering that has to go on.  I made a turned aluminum front part of the rim  to get the damage look I wanted.  I am debating making them for the other three tires just to be consistent.  The aluminum is much brighter than the plastic part. The scratches were cut with a file. 

TIRE THAT HIT THE ROCK.jpg

Just so you know,

A tire with that big of a chunk taken out of it will NOT be able to hold air. That and there would be cables and cords hanging all out of the hole.

Basically, it would have gotten all torn up when the car hit the rock and then had to slow down afterwards. 

10 hours ago, espo said:

Not that it looks like you need any inspiration. Lately I have been getting watching Rally racing on YTube and they have pictures of some pretty bad offs. I think you are doing a great job beating up this poor Porsche, just thought you might get some ideas there is all.    

Thanks for the tip and yup, world rally has some incredible disasters.  Been following it for better than 20 years back when it was a regular on the cable sports network.  You Tube is full of help.  Also been prowling the archives of Peking to Paris to come up with an appropriate weathering scheme. I think the challenge that keeps going on in my head is going to be the mix of driving across a dry and dusty roads, hitting a stream crossing(so some the the dust will get washed of) then the mud flinging that is going to happen from being towed out of the stream bed by another car.  Kind of a mix of clean,dusty and then muddy.  I'm going to have to play that over in my head for a bit. 

1 minute ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

Just so you know,

A tire with that big of a chunk taken out of it will NOT be able to hold air. That and there would be cables and cords hanging all out of the hole.

Basically, it would have gotten all torn up when the car hit the rock and then had to slow down afterwards. 

Yes, you are right, but flatening it will not be part of the process.  I intend to collapse the suspension enough so that the car is not resting on the tire.  Perhaps I will even have the car on a jack or the tire off and repairs underway.   As with any tire, if there is no weight on it, it will hold it's shape, but you are right about the cord and I will have to either include it or disguise it with mud.  Since the car will have been towed out and not turning, it will be fairly caked with mud.  Still playing with a lot of ideas and this is a long way from done, but thanks for you observation.  It will be included in the process. 

I've always wanted to build a car that had been in an accident,  but the realization that there is a lot more detail to create than just the outward damage.

There is going to be parts and internals hanging out of the battle zone, and all of that paraphernalia has to be scratchbuilt carefully to look accurate. A proposition that overwhelms me to complete.

But I do admire someone who can do the research and diligence to see it through.

Keep up your project, I can't wait to see how it turns out.

16 hours ago, Pete J. said:

Thanks for the tip and yup, world rally has some incredible disasters.  Been following it for better than 20 years back when it was a regular on the cable sports network.  You Tube is full of help.  Also been prowling the archives of Peking to Paris to come up with an appropriate weathering scheme. I think the challenge that keeps going on in my head is going to be the mix of driving across a dry and dusty roads, hitting a stream crossing(so some the the dust will get washed of) then the mud flinging that is going to happen from being towed out of the stream bed by another car.  Kind of a mix of clean,dusty and then muddy.  I'm going to have to play that over in my head for a bit. 

Something my wife and I have been involved in for several years is Wheel'n or Off Roading and specifically Jeep Jamborees. The reason I mention this is the road surfaces and driving through water is something we do often. YTube to the rescue again. They have videos posted by many who are attending these Jamborees and some of the pictures may show what you're looking for. There are many more of what I call "hold my beer and watch this" moments also.  

• 1 month later...

Just finished bending and fitting the nurf bar to the front bumper.  The bar and attachment is all german silver wire, which is a nickel copper alloy.  The damaged side is, of course bent out of shape from the impact with the rock.  I still have a little polishing to get it to a chrome like finish but I don't want to do that until I am ready to mount it.  I will probably use the same wire for the roof rack.  German silver is really nice stuff to solder with silver solder. 

Nurf bar 2.jpg

Nuff bar 1.jpg

• 1 month later...
12 hours ago, Modelbuilder Mark said:

Hello, any more updates?

Sorry gang, but I got occupied with another project and this wound up on the back of the bench.  I suspect I got a jump on next year.  Took on too darned much as I am want to do!

1 hour ago, Tom Geiger said:

Great work on the bumper guard!  I need to work on my soldering skills

Thanks Tom.  This is an example of the advantage of using a resistance soldering unit and german silver(actually a nickel/copper alloy) wire.  The wire needed to be heat treated to soften it enough to bend.